Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I like Nic Cage. I like Tim Burton. But Cage is never Superman in a million years.

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that too. Honesly, I could see Cage as Luthor, but never Supes himself.

3. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Cage would make an interesting Zod.

4. Captaindemotion

The original chatter was of Cage as Luthor and Due South star Paul Gross as Superman. Then all of a sudden, Cage - who a few months earlier had been linked to the role of Iron Man (this was long, long before RDJ etc) - was supposed to be Superman. A watching world went 'WTF?'

5. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Paul Gross would have been a very interesting "Superman". He kind of played a Clark Kent type character in "Due South". He has the look. I have never heard this story before, I'd always been under the impression that Cage was attached right from the start of Burton's involvement. Also didn't know that he was attached or rumoured for "Iron Man". I'd always read that Tom Cruise was attached. Either way I'm glad that we've never got a Burton "Superman". I've read most of the multiple drafts they attempted for the film and the only one that I would be remotely interested in seeing was the Kevin Smith draft. I thought all the rest were awful.

6. Captaindemotion

^ This was before the internet (well, before I had the internet anyway). I remember seeing the Cage/ Iron Man and a short time later the Gross/Cage story in a few magazines probably about late 1996 or early 1997. A few months later, then they were talking about Cage for Supes. Obviously, I don't know how much weight, if any, there was to the rumours about Cage for Stark or Gross for Kal-El. But yes, Gross certainly seemed a more likely Man of Steel than Cage ever did.

At the time, it was felt that Cage might make an interesting Tony Stark as he was winning great acclaim (and an Oscar) for playing an alcoholic in Leaving Las Vegas.

7. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

What if Superman Lives was made.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/MrMurdockk/news/?a=35416

Alot of this will probably be familiar to those that have read up on all those aborted "Superman" ideas in the 90's

Apparently Kevin Smith confirmed Chris Rock as Jimmy Olsen in a Chicago Sun time article in 1997.

The movie would have been an awesome train wreck

8. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I would have wept.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Who was Peters? His ideas sound kinda scary.

10. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Producer on Tim Burton's Batman movie.

11. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Jon Peters also served as producer on "Superman Returns". One of the funniest moments in the behind the scenes making of documentary is they are filming the big hospital scene and film Peters absolutely praising Singer!!! Saying stuff like this is the way they should have gone about a film and Singer knows his stuff. I'm paraphrasing heavily but it is just funny given what we've all heard and read about the man from Kevin Smith and others.

12. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

13. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

In those same features, he references his past attempts to get a Superman film going and comments that he was totally wrong. You don't get that much in Hollywood.

14. Captaindemotion

15. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

"...can there really be a Superman without Lex Luthor?"

Yes.

16. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

^ Yes, but not for long. Luthor is essential to Superman in the long term but doesnt need to appear every time. If anything Luthor needed a reboot much more than Superman did. The funny, wacky, silly super evil plan Luthor was just, as Dr. Nefario put it, lame.

17. Captaindemotion

^ I'd imagine we'll get nods to Lex, such as Luthorcorp buildings or products in the background but won't see the character himself. Much as how the next Spider-man movie won't have the Green Goblin but will feature Oscorp. No doubt Supersequels and Spider-sequels will feature LL and GG respectively.

I like Bradley Cooper but I can't see him as Lex, even if they were going for a Lois and Clark take on the character. And the story about a cameo smacks of stunt-casting, flavour of the week type approach. Whatever else one says about this movie, Zack Snyder's casting has been spot-on and not in the least gimmicky.

18. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

He's just way too young to play Luthor. Even in Lois & Clark Luther was almost 50.

19. Captaindemotion

^ I suppose if they were going for the Smallville approach, with Clark and Lex being near contemporaries, he'd be about the right age. But I just don't see him as a Lex type.

20. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

John Shea was about forty-three when he played Luthor in Lois & Clark.