My first voyage with Voyager

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Qutluch, Apr 14, 2012.

1. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I enjoyed Lifesigns. But the Doctor is one of my favorite characters. Shmulus will be back in the future! :)

The B plots were well, part of the ongoing subplots in season 2. Jonas is playing spy with Seska and Paris is being a total screw up. Even as he's doing this he does go out of his way to help out the Doc though, which is almost contradictory to the rest of his behavior of late.

They will come to a conclusion in the near future... won't say any more until you get there. :)

2. Alpha Flyer

Alpha Flyer Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yep -- Tom's behaviour so shortly after he poured out his heart to Neelix (Parturition) and Janeway (Threshold), and when he's still doing stuff like being kind to Doc, is kind of odd, isn't it ... The reasons for why he caught that bug that seems to be plaguing him will be obvious in the next ep.

And while you are watching the next one ("Investigations") look for the cameo of a Very Famous Person early on, handing Harry a PADD in a corridor. And if your mind tells you "nooooo -- it can't be ... But he's a ..." rest assured: it IS who you think it is. :)

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

People actually knew who that person was?

4. Alpha Flyer

You mean at the time it aired? Possibly not, although he was already in a formal role and known to those in "the business" (can't be more specific without spoilers...). Now -- absolutely, he's got that facial recognition thing happening far beyond his region of origin.

I see his brother in a professional context on occasion, who tells me *he* is still very much a Star Trek fan. Trekkers really do come from all walks of life ... :-)

5. teacake

They sure do! Not that I manage to run into many :lol:

6. R. Star

Hey if I had that kind of clout I would've worked myself a cameo too. :p

7. Alpha Flyer

Hell, yeah. But since I don't, I claim my little corner of the ST universe by writing fan fiction... :p:rolleyes:

8. teacake

I'm waiting for JJ to call. I will do ANYTHING, with some Cumberbatch exceptions.

9. R. Star

Even publically denouce Janeway? ;)

Oh and AF! Looked at your ff page(been years since I've been there!)... didn't know you're a Threshold Crosser with Janeway/Paris! If I get some time I'll look over a couple. :)

10. Alpha Flyer

Yeah, guilty as charged. Had fun with it, too -- guilty pleasures and all that. Oh, there's a little tag to the episode cycle Qutluch is on right now, too, called "Far From Home," that kinda works with the Threshold Crossing in that small little private-joke way.

11. teacake

That bitch? Sure.

12. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Welcome to the Darkside.

13. teacake

Yes well.. the MU does have it's enticements.

EVIL LEZBIAN JANEWAY!!!!

:: pants ::

14. Guy Gardener

Janeway almost always wore pants.

What an odd thing for your unquenchable passion to focus on.

15. teacake

You know what I want to see her in? One of those NX-01 jumpsuits.

Here's a manip someone did which gives you the idea of how glorious this would be:

[​IMG]

You know why standard issue Starfleet uniforms are so not sexy?

NO BUTTONS. Or snaps or press studs or zippers or whatever.. nothing to undo. Nothing to accidentally come undone. It's a missed opportunity in Trek design.

16. Guy Gardener

Does that collar go all the way down to her naval?

17. teacake

I haven't had the pleasure.

18. Guy Gardener

Me thinks the lady doth protest too much.

Why photoshop half measures?

19. teacake

I don't know, it comes from some J/C site as I recall so perhaps they were busy unzipping the plank. However I'm happy with this level of reveal, anticipation and all. Plus we already got that black dress :adore:

(non HiJS people may have missed this event)

20. Qutluch

Qutluch Commander Red Shirt

Investigations
    Wow! I really do love Neelix; who else would have thought about a video newsletter to keep moral up? (I interviewed a WWII veteran who was in charge of moral on a naval ship and he set up a written newsletter…this video by Neelix kind of reminds me of his story. He said the newsletter was really cheesy, but that it made people smile)!! Also, I love that Neelix’s cooking cap matched his apron (I want a set… maybe that will be my next convention costume)!

Neelix was contacted by a Talaxian friend who notified him that his ship would rendezvous with the VOY in order to pick up a crew member who no longer wanted to be on board: Paris. Neelix goes to speak with Paris about why he wanted to leave. Paris argues that he never enjoyed being on VOY. Paris explains that he just made a mess of his place on VOY and that he has just sabotaged all of his chances for family and friends on board.

Neelix uses his video newsletter to drum up support for Paris and argue that he is a worthy friend and that the ship would be better off if Paris stayed on board. I like how he said that he originally overlooked Paris’ bravery because he saw it as brashness.

The warp engines are ruined (sabotaged) and Neelix helps Janeway and Chakotay find a planet where they can buy supplies that they need. The Talaxian ship was also attacked by the Kazon and Paris was taken. Neelix is suspicious that Paris was taken after less than a day on the Talaxian ship. Neelix figures out that the Kazon were told about Paris’ movement before it happened. Neelix is acting like a good journalist, but I feel like Tuvok would have reasoned it out already too….Then I realized that Paris’ behavior was a ruse so he could be a spy to find the spy, and Tuvok already knew about it which is why he did not jump on the information that Neelix provided him with. I should have realized that there was something fishy going on during the Neelix/Tuvok scene, but alas they surprised me!

In the end, Paris announces the spy as Jonas. Paris makes it back on VOY, and Neelix kills Jonas. Also, Paris goes onto Neelix’s video announcement and explains what happened and even apologizes for being an ass, even though it was part of his spy-character.

Favorite part: I like the continuity of this episode with the previous episodes. I think it showed that Paris is a strong character who has devoted himself to being accepted on the ship and that he is trying to improve himself. I also think it showed how kind and brave Neelix is. Neelix really does try his best to help the entire crew, and particularly those he has befriended. He may be annoying at times but he has an altruistic attitude. True, he may be a little prideful and know that what he is doing is great, but he is still doing positive things nevertheless.

Least favorite part: I could not figure out who the character Alpha Flyer warned me about was. I had to look it up on Memory Alpha to figure out the guest star was the King of Jordan! Also, the cheesy green background when Neelix and Jonaas fight to the death.