DS9 in HD

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by MikeS, Nov 5, 2013.

1. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Right now CBS are working on presenting DS9 in full HD glory. Unfortunately, as far as I'm aware, this is only because the station appears briefly in a TNG sixth season episode (Birthright).

I've been wanting to introduce my wife to DS9 for some time. I've been waiting patiently expecting the series to be given the same beautiful treatment that TNG has.

Any news on a possible HD transfer yet? They must surely have all the sales data they need from TNG now to see if it's viable? CBS have also been experimenting with CGI in the past couple of seasons of TNG and the last I heard on the subject was that they'd found some computer files that would assist with recreating some DS9 CGI work.

2. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

We haven't heard anything yet. I suspect it won't be until the middle of next year until we do. We still have 3 releases left of TNG, 2 of ENT and 1 of TAS (the later two already in HD, and require little work to release), so they have plenty of material to cover the next year, depending on their release schedule.

3. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

These threads keep coming up, and all I can say is "I'm in!" I can't wait and I hope they do it soon! I know widescreen is not going to happen because of the extra stuff (lights, microphones, etc) on the sides likely in many shots, plus the director's focus was always what was in the SD safe area, but that would be a-mazing! Either way, bring it on and I will reach deep into my pockets for the cause!

(I'm keeping the "not if but when" attitude. ;))

4. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I may be way wrong on this, but I heard a rumor (I don't remember if it was refuted or not) that at some point they started filming with widescreen in mind (for both DS9 and VOY) since they knew that's where television was headed, so while the frame may still seem cluttered in the center (since they knew it would air in 4x3), there wouldn't be equipment on the sides.

5. MickJo1701

MickJo1701 Commander Red Shirt

I vaguely remember reading something along the lines of this also, I think they began shooting with widescreen in mind during DS9's fifth season.

6. dub

Boy I hope you're right, trekker. That would be very, very cool. A wonderful surprise it would be.

Unrelated to the blurays, but these newly created (fan-made) HD DS9 clips posted to youtube make me drool...

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJs0-hhOZFQ[/yt]

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLFQ6TqsEkw[/yt]

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLw-sftFZv8[/yt]

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L82qw_vdFA4[/yt]

7. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like the small details you can see better like inside the windows and every nook and shape of the ships.... the super glowing phasers and nacelles I could do without.

8. dub

not a fan of the 'ol panty hose filter there, R. Star? :)

9. R. Star

As that one's labelled test, I decided to be kind and just dismiss it as a work in progress. I was actually most impressed by those little windows in the back of the runabout... never realized those -were- windows.

10. dub

and the tiny windows on the side. Cool stuff. :techman:

11. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Voyager is likely to be done first in HD I think.

It would be cool to watch some of those battles in HD glory however.

12. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh, I hope not. Sales of Voyager would likely kill any financial incentive to do DS9.

13. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

DS9 in HD would actually be what would make me switch to BlueRay. The franchise should be done in order, so DS9 should definately be next.

14. GameOn

GameOn Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

DS9 shouldn't be any harder to remaster than TNG until the last couple of seasons when they made the switch to CGI. Voyager switched to CGI earlier in its run so it'd probably be harder to do due to the sheer number of episodes.

This interview with CBS Digital suggests that DS9 will be next at around 16:20. "I think there's going to be more of this, Deep Space Nine there's talk about already."

15. GalaxyX

Interesting.

Well, I'm enjoying DS9 so far in my second viewing of it from the beginning. Nothing in the first 2 seasons is calling out for HD treatment yet IMO though.

16. R. Star

That's already out of the question given Enterprise is already out in BluRay.

17. GalaxyX

As much as I think this artwork looks amazing, it's doubtful that a DS9 remastering would include any new shots that weren't in the original.

Just look at TNG. Shot that could have been completely redone simply stayed the same, but in "HD".

18. dub

True, but just seeing HD versions of DS9 anything make me giddy.

19. GameOn

GameOn Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I can't wait until we get our first glimpse of DS9 in HD on the TNG season 6 blu-ray.

20. SpHeRe31459

SpHeRe31459 Captain Captain

Says who?

I sincerely doubt anything has been green lit yet.