Spock's line *Major Major Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Jon1701, May 10, 2013.

1. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: Spocks line *Major Major Spoilers*

I'll be waiting to see what Shatner has to say about this.
    He might take a while but I doubt he will not comment on it eventually. It should be funny.:cool:

2. Classic Fan

Classic Fan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The line worked in context, but as a fan of nuTrek and old trek, it took me out a little.

As soon as the number was mentioned and I saw the first person in cryo I knew instantly who Cumberbatch was, so the reveal for me was a very *sigh* moment.
    But when Spock screams Khan I just squirmed a bit in the seat. Was it necessary? Contextually yes. Homage/reference? No. Just too obvious a thing to put in the 'reverse TWOK death scene'

JJ basically remade TWOK.

Enjoyable, good film, great callbacks and new stuff and acting.

3. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

A while ago I said that I think Kirk's simple, almost faint "No..." after Spock died in TWOK was one of the finest acting moments in the Star Trek films. And Spock was dead. No cop out. The cop out only came in the next film, but the entire film was devoted to it, it was not just a hand wave.

Now that I learned that Sylar starts screaming KHHHHAAAAAN after Kirk dies (and after that they actually push the reset button that Bob Orci always said doesn't exist anymore in his new approach), I can't stop chuckling inside. Quality really increased in this new film series.

So far, the two films have been, and always shall be, a reference fest of TWOK.

4. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

No, he did not.

5. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

I really don't think it was in anyway a remake. Not even close.

6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yep, they remade a scene (which was actually nicely done) and reused a famous line (which was godawful and killed said scene), but otherwise the film couldn't be more different to "Space Seed" or "Wrath of Khan". Different situations, different motivations, different story.

7. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

I absolutely loved that line!
    I think Quinto delivered it perfectly!

:cool:

8. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

Yeah. WOK had the good sense not to send the Enterprise underwater.

9. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

He only had one mom.

Okay that's totally being a pedantic git but I just spent five minutes thinking about a children's book called "Spock has Two Mommies" and wondering who Amanda would be paired up with (Vulcan I would think) and how that would work out.

It was a rush job with the tribble hanging over it mocking the whole thing.

10. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, it only had magic torpedoes making habitable planets out of thin air and bringing the dead back in child form in the process.
    Much better.

11. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Are you STILL not over Star Trek: Insurrection? That was 15 years ago:p

12. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

But... there wasn't salt in these waters...

13. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

That's not magic, man! That's protomatter!
    You know? Science!

14. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ah, I eagerly await a new "Kha-a-a-a-a-n!" video clip to add to the collection. :techman:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne8ezzeuGhI[/yt]

:cool:

15. Classic Fan

Classic Fan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Didnt mean that quite so litterally.

It was meant as a kind of obvious aobservation of the scenes that paralleled the events in TWOK.

Things happened to characters that happened to others later on in the prime universe, and earlier. There was no space seed however this khan had an issue with the captain, now admiral, who found the Botany Bay, kirk and crew were caught up in it and again, during the scene through the vengeance, they respect each other as people as they did in space seed.

16. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

The laughable cornball moment was when Kirk (Shatner) got to emote and yelled, "Khaaaaaaaaan," in TWOK. It was cringe-inducing when I saw it for the first time in the theater, and it still is, today.

In the context of STID, here's Spock, who we know is still wondering how to deal with the emotions that churn just below his surface. Here's Spock, who has lost six billion of his fellow Vulcans, his mom, and now Kirk. Sure, they'd been together only a year, but Spock Prime had told him that in his universe, they went on to have a long friendship and accomplished great and unique things. It was important that they were together. Now, that chance has been taken away from him, too.

Should Spock be pissed? Agonized? Enraged? This is the last straw. At least this time, "Khaaaaaaaaaan" has some meaning and is a justifiable primal scream.

If Trek fans laugh at it, I'd say it's because we always took it as an over-the-top laugh-line from TWOK. The risk the writers took this time was an attempt to finally give the line real gravitas. Too bad it seems to have failed for a lot of fans.

17. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

I'm gonna get killed by my friends if I posted that on FB! :lol: :lol: :lol:

18. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've dropped about six friends off my FB news feed for a couple of weeks just because I'm tired of their whinging about this movie. When they're over it on to the next thing I'll bring them back.

I mean, in a couple of years they'll have Cameron's second Avatar film to diss and dismiss as it goes on to become the most successful movie in history. :lol:

19. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

I'm still crying with laughter! :lol:

So is JJ on his way to the bank!

20. Erehwonnz24

Erehwonnz24 Cadet Newbie

Franklin, I think you hit it on the head. I recently rewatched TWoK and was surprised at how badly Shatner's "KHAN!" line plays. I suppose I idealized it over time. The movie has merits, surely, but the line in its original context doesn't make a great deal of sense as acted.

I think Spock's enraged version works much better and more sensibly. Here's a man who has been emotionally compromised, who has lost so much, and now had the promise of a friend taken from him. It's clear that it's the last straw for his emotional defenses.

I'd argue that we are likely to dislike the line because we cannot help see it in terms of what we know; a friend of mine who has seen the film but not TWoK was frankly confused as to why anyone would feel that line was out of place. "Of all the lines in the movie, it's got to be one of the most telling, right?" she asked. I'd tend to agree.