The Law Returns. This Time With His Helmet On! Judge Dredd!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Aug 13, 2010.

1. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Judge "Minty"? Really? What, does he defeat lawlessness with his minty-flavored breath?

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

He's nicknamed his lawgiver gun...breath mint... ;)

3. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Characters with odd names is actually a bid of a tradition. Dredd is silly enough when you think about is but there are plenty others. My favourite example is Dredd's current sidekick/protege: Judge America Beeny.
    Of course I'm pretty sure making fun of a Judge's name is punishable by a year in the isocubes. ;)

I didn't mean to suggest they should cast Summer Glau, just that I would. :D

P.S. Hershey may or may not be in the film. There is an unnamed female Chief Judge in the script and the way she's written in the two scenes she appears it sounds like it's supposed to be Hersey, but it could conceivably be a pre-Long Walk McGruder.

On a related note, anyone have any thoughts on who could play Chief Judge Hershey? I tend to picture Uma Therman in the role but I think that has more to do with cheekbones and that haircut she had in Pulp Fiction than anything else.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  4. Admiral_Young

^ I thought along the same lines....why not just recast Diane Lane lol.

5. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Uma would be good, maybe too old now though? Then again Hershey's no spring chicken (but that assumes you go with Dredd's age being 60+ now which is unlikely given Urban's age-I don't think she should be older than Dredd though.)

6. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

If wikipedia is accurate *tosses a coin* then Hershey was about 37 when she became Chief Judge and had the job for about 9 years. Uma is what? Late 30's? Early 40's? So she's probably about right.
    Mind you I think the script describes the unnamed Chief Judge as being in her 50's, so if anything Uma and - more to the point - Hershey is a little young. Perhaps this is supposed to be McGruder after all? Or perhaps no established Judge in particular.

As for Dredd's age; I think there's something about him ageing slower due to his being a clone and using the sleep machine so much, so they can always fudge it a bit. That or Fargo was a DĂșnedain. ;)

7. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Dredd's also had rejuvination treatment after Necropolis...still I don't think he should look as young as, or younger than Hersehy, so with Urban being 38 now I think Uma would be too old as she's 40. don't get me wrong she'd look good as Hershey but she'd look too much like Dredd's contemporary when she should be clearly several graduating classes below him. Taking Urban's age as Dredd's in the film I figure Hershey should be 30/32 maybe? If you use Anderson she'd be younger still (though not that much younger, mid to late 20s maybe).

Be nice to see Giant as well (probably the classic one rather than his son but you could do either)

8. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Of course they might also have Urban play Dredd as a bit older than he is or at least the helmet might allow it to be left a little ambiguous. Either way, it's unlikely they they'll get too hung up trying to adhere to the comic's continuity by having everyone be the right ages. As with other cross-media adaptations like Batman, Lord of the Rings and the like they're free to cherry pick what works best for the film while still staying true to the material.

9. Prydonian

Prydonian Lieutenant Red Shirt

In the "Origins" storyline, there's a bit where it is mentioned that the surname "Dredd" was selected for Joe and Rico with the intention of instilling fear in the populace (obviously an after-the-fact justification, but then one of the goals of the story was to apply some patches to Dredd's (dis)continuity; ironically, it just raises the question of why everyone called the original Rico by his first name and why it was used on his badge :confused:).

Heh, how about making it the post-Long Walk McGruder and slap a beard on the poor actress and make her talk in the first-person plural about herself! :lol:

10. Admiral_Young

11. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Don't think I've seen her in anything, but (hair colour aside) she looks about right for the part. Remember that this is an early 20's academy rookie version of Anderson, so she's not supposed to be the 6 foot tall Amazonian looking woman she is in the comics.

12. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Well, if you're not 6 feet tall by your early 20s, you're never going to be, so that doesn't really follow. However, there's no requirement that actors be the same height as the characters they're based on, otherwise Hugh Jackman could never have played Wolverine.

13. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Not that it matters but I don't know that she's supposed to be a six footer in the comics, just that the proportions with which she is drawn (by some artists) gives you that impression of her build. Regardless, I think the script actually describes her as being on the short side.

14. Admiral_Young

^ Yes there is a reference to her height I think when she's first introduced...can't wait for the first trailer for this!

15. Admiral_Young

16. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Make her blonde and she certainly looks the part, as for her acting ability, well haven't seen her in anything so will just have to trust the producers judgement.

I see the film is now called simply Dredd

17. Admiral_Young

I'm assuming that they will dye her hair blonde...can't remember her description from the script now but I'm pretty sure Anderson was blonde. I saw the title change. At least it's not "Judge Dredd Origins".

18. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Anderson has to be blonde. I think "Dredd" will look good on the posters.

19. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Actually, there is a fairly recent JD story with that name. ;)
    Just be glad they're not making that into a movie. Not that it was bad or anything, it was actually quite absorbing but if there's one comic book character that shouldn't need an "origin" movie, it's Judge Dredd. It's be like a sequel to the Dollars trilogy where you see the 'Man with No Name' growing up. Characters like Dredd works best with only a vague history IMO.

As for Anderson, yeah, the character has always been a blonde and portraying her otherwise would be like having Mary-Jane as a brunette.

20. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Hey, Smallville gave us Lana Lang as a brunette. And some screen Supermen have had brown eyes rather than blue. Harvey Dent in the comics is Caucasian with dark hair, but he's been played onscreen by the African-American Billy Dee Williams and the blonde Aaron Eckhart.

And what about the fact that neither Norman nor Harry Osborne onscreen had the trademark weird hairstyle of the comics' Osborne clan?