DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

I know I shouldn't, really this should be in the Justice League movie thread... and this is my last response to the subject in this thread...

You mean movies AREN'T just what we see on the surface? There's MORE? :rolleyes:

Of COURSE it was about family, that's the heart of the story, and in the context of a superhero movie. But how does that change my point in ANY way? It still had to introduce the world, it still had to introduce the characters and how their powers worked, it still had to introduce the conflicts, etc, etc. Just as any other movie, including a Justice League movie.

How come because it's a movie about "family" it doesn't need movies to set it up?

Hint: because they did a good job at the exposition.

Deeper backgrounds are for the comic book fans. Decades long history is for comic book fans. They give filmmakers lots of choices to ADAPT into a movie for a general audience, but they aren't going to make it so you need to be familiar with Superman Red and Blue in order to get the movie.

Again: it's called exposition.

All that set up: was in the first 15 minutes of the movie. We watched how his choices to do something played out. But all of that... the egotistm, the drinking, that's in the first SCENE in the truck with the soldiers.

Except they did. In the first Iron Man.

2. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Just a tiny nit. It's Keith Giffen, not "Griffin". No "r".

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  3. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Threshold is just the Blue Beetle book renamed.

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why do I keep adding the r? Thanks for pointing that out! :)

5. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

You are confusing "have had a lot of stories written about them" with "have a core origin/back-story" - the first are largely irrelevant, the second can be told in minutes. What in the Flash's back-story requires more than a few lines about "I was in an accident"?

Which possible character that they select for a JLA film cannot be boiled down to the essentials with no great difficulty?

6. Hound of UIster

I thought the new JLA was particular interesting in that
    the entire lineup was created to counter each member of the Justice League with

Manhunter vs Superman
    Catwoman vs Batman
    Katana vs Wonder Woman
    Green Lantern vs Green Lantern
    Vibe vs Flash
    Hawkman vs Aquaman
    Stargirl vs Cyborg

7. Fist McStrongpunch

Fist McStrongpunch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I question some of those versuses. The flying guy can't do much against the swimming guy. And Katana versus girl-Superman? No.

8. Admiral_Young

Katana is one of the world's foremost martial artists. She's not to be underestimated. Wonder Woman can overpower her yes, but Katana would give her a vicious fight before that happened.

9. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Except for the Martian Manhunter not a single one of the JLA has a chance against his/her JL counter.

I also don't get why a team created to be an alternative to the Justice League also has to called the Justice League. If I decide to go off and create an alternate Star Trek themed message board I wouldn't name it TrekBBSofAmerica.com.

10. Admiral_Young

You guys are thinking physical counter-parts...and not strategic counterparts. It's not all about power levels here :) Perhaps there is some psychological aspects to this as well. *Shrugs*.

11. Hound of UIster

She also has a magic sword.

Vibe can cancel out Flash's speed powers.

Hawkman in melee combat against Aquaman,

12. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Was that a tiny female Atom in Justice League? Has she been seen before (other than last month)?

13. Hound of UIster

It's a new Atom.

14. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

That one never really makes much sense to me, does it matter how good your martial arts are if you are still only human? Unless you do a lot of jobbing (or have a magic sword as mentioned above), really someone who moves much faster than a human and can survive bullets (which will impact with much force that the human hand) will still make mincemeat out of you.

That is one of the things I liked about "for the man who has everything", when mongul turns up, Batman didn't even attempt to fight him because "that's out of our league". If that story was written today, he'd push wonder woman out of the way and wrestle him to the ground.

JMS does something similar when he has Spider-man beat the shit out of the kingpin because he is only human and Peter isn't.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  15. Admiral_Young

I also forgot about the magic sword that'd probably help against Superman as well since I believe Clark is still vulnerable to magic in the 52'Verse.

16. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Having read Katana #1 she would be easily beaten by just about anyone. Her inclusion in the JLA will probably end when her book does.

17. Hound of UIster

Actually you have got it reversed. The book was a result of her inclusion into the JLA. The same for Vibe.

18. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Got my pulls today. From the long box: Wonder Woman #73. (Taco Whiz issue.)

19. Hound of UIster

One of the lower points of her previous book.

20. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think it's a pretty cool name.