teacake does Stargate: punch it

Discussion in 'Stargate' started by teacake, Oct 7, 2012.

1. gturner

gturner Admiral

I'd have been replying but TrekBBS's hosting service did some kind of IP block, probably on my subnet, and I spent a week thinking their servers had crashed and burned. I couldn't access any other site they hosted, or even their own company site.

I almost replied here via a proxy server last week, but it bounced when I hit "submit reply". It just wasn't worth it, so I spent another week waiting to see if things would get straightened out, and sure enough, everything seems to be fixed now. :)

Anyway, in case Teacake isn't aware of it, the new doctor is Michael Shank's wife. His daughter by his first wife (Share) also appears briefly in an episode, but I forget which one.

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

No I was not aware of that!!! Thanks gturner and welcome back!

3. gturner

gturner Admiral

Thank you. It's good to be back. :)

Oh, and I remember what I was going to mention in my comment that bounced, which is a non-spoilerific thought now that you've seen Mobius 1 & 2.

Usually Stargate is pretty good about cleaning up really big loose ends, but there was an unexplored possibility left with Mobius.

We only have Daniel's opinion that the rest of the original SG-1 members were killed, so they could've been captured instead without breaking continuity. Obviously Ra can't learn anything significant from them or it would screw up the timeline, but you could posit that perhaps they ended up in the hands of another sytem lord, who would of course have to avoid further interactions to prevent timeline issues. (If he screws up the timeline, SG-1 never goes to Egypt, never gets captured, and he dies in a cell.)

So here's a simple stab at what's possible:

The original team is captured and Carter is thrown in a cell with a dying system lord who Ra is killing, but killing slowly through repeated torture. Once the system lord's host is beyond saving, the Goa'uld takes Carter as a host and they escape through the stargate, leaving the system lord's former host's body for Ra's guards to find. Everyone assumes that system lord died, and they never give Carter another thought (or SG-1, which could be included in the cell without a major change).

The system lord of course learns all that his host Carter knows, including the existence of the second gate in Antartica without a DHD, along with the ancient girl frozen there in the ice. Since Stargate Command only found the one girl before SG-1 took the Mobius trip, the system lord would be free to explore the ice and look for any ancients who weren't that particular girl. As already established, a Goa'uld can cure the disease that was afflicting the ancients, so he'd be free to thaw one out, take it as a host, and learn all the secrets of the Ancients - as long as he continued to play dead and stay out of the Goa'uld's timeline until sometime after the modern-day Mobius events are completed.

So that gives you an extremely powerful system lord with ancient weapons, and who has been upgrading those weapons for thousands of years, who has an incredibly intimate knowledge of SGC and SG-1 members, and who hasn't had to fight any other Goa'uld (all of whom assume he died at Ra's hands back in ancient Egypt). His existence is completely unexpected, and he could even be a drinking buddy or neighbor of some of the team members. He might've even used the knowledge he learned from the frozen Ancient to ascend and then re-materialize as a true human instead of a Goa'uld (and who really wants to be an aquatic parasite anyway?), so that the presence of a Goa'uld couldn't even be sensed.

Could be a good guy, could be a bad guy, but it would've offered an easy way to introduce a very powerful new character with a deep background story (and mystery, since he would know very intimate details about SG-1).

Frankly, once I thought about it for a bit, it seemed to have better potential than the Ori story, hopefully more on par with Anubis or Ba'al. There are all kinds of possibilities in the forgotten Mobius characters.

4. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

OK.

I haven't watched the episode in years, but that actually sounds like a good idea to me. I would have used that as a background for the Ori storyline. That thing could have given both to a bastard Goua'ld and Anients child that becomes the Ori.

5. gturner

gturner Admiral

Oooo... That's an excellent twist. Make the Ori into Ancients who got possessed by Goa'uld, who then ascended, putting them beyond the reach of Ancient weapons and any simple (by the Ancient's standards) biological techniques to de-Goa'uld a host. That would make the Ori demand for worship a no-brainer without having to re-invent an excuse to fall back on the "evil aliens pretend to be false gods" idea.

It could've also served to give the Ori some actual personality, even a personal focus on SG-1 members.

6. teacake

The Fourth Horseman Part 1: I am really the person they write twists for, it never occurred to me that Gerak would end up a Pryor. I'm very interested to see how this effects his standing with the Jaffa, whether it is seen as a betrayal. It's quite sad that so many of them abruptly freed (from some of their perspectives) from the control of the Goa'uld are so rudderless as to be desperate for a new power to pledge their lives to.

The Orlin thing is odd.. couldn't get the original actor or just decided to go with this twist?

I wanted to watch Part 2 last night but got interrupted, looking forward to watching it later on.

7. gturner

gturner Admiral

I'm not sure wby they bad Orlin return as a child, but perhaps it was because they wanted to have an Ancient intervene in a limited way (at least enough to explain some plot points) and Orlin was the only Ancient they could task for the role, but they didn't want to reintroduce a real romantic entanglement for Carter.

Perhaps they just like to leave her bizarrely conflicted. Does she reunite with the Orlin child, or drive to the local high-school and seek solace in the arms of the Jack O'Neill clone child that Loki created? Perhaps a threesome behind Chuck-E-Cheese?

It could've been worse.

"Orlin. If a human brain isn't big enough, why didn't you come back as an Asgard?"

"Because then you'd just stare at my naked little Asgard butt, and I wasn't sure I'd be comfortable with that. Also, I don't like their little food cubes. Even the yellow ones."

8. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

As I understand it, the original actor was unavaiable. Since this meant recasting they decided "let's make his new appearance part of the plot," and he ended up as a child.

Fun fact, General Hammond's cameo was originally written for General John Jumper, who was at the time the real-life US Air Force Chief of Staff (and had previously appeared in Lost City). General Jumper had to back out at the last minute, and therefore the scene was given to Hammond instead.

9. bigdaddy

I'll put it in spoilers just in case....

Is that the last time we see him?

10. teacake

The Fourth Horseman Part 2: Great second part, felt like some classic Stargate. Watching them capture the Pryor was cool though I missed O'Neill when Mitchell and Daniel were having their witty repartee.. kind of wannabe without O'Neill there!

Mitchell does mention one of my favorite cheeses which surprised me as it's kind of obscure.

Orlin's ending was sad! I hope we something else for him in the future but perhaps that's it (don't tell me). I was impressed too with Gerak's coming to his senses and sacrifice. Altogether a satisfying episode that progresses the story of the Jaffa, our understanding of the Ori and leaves us still facing the enemy. Good stuff.

11. The Wormhole

Depends. No, The Fourth Horseman two parter is not the last time we see General Hammond in the series, but it is the last time we see "Hammond Prime" to use Star Trek terminology. Hammond's next appearance, in 200 he appears in the Thunderbirds style puppet sequence and The Road Not Taken and Continuum feature Hammond in alternate reality/timeline.

12. teacake

Collateral Damage: An episode about memory. Wait. Wasn't this a VOY ep too? Or was that just my imagination.. no wait it was.. Tuvok! No, not Tuvok, Paris! Yes, yes someone was the culprit. I think.

That it took me TWO hours to watch this due to near constant interruptions may have contributed to my mehness.

However bonus points for seeing Woolsey's dream woman in another Stargate role :D

13. DrunkUncle

DrunkUncle Ensign Red Shirt

She's actually in SGU too as Chloe's mother

14. teacake

I vaguely remember that.

That Chloe was such a bore.

15. teacake

Ripple Effect: I was a bit bored with this until Janet showed up :adore: OH it was so good to see her again, why did we have to lose her? (No really, why?) And Martouf was looking older (and better). Lots of teases about who Carter is with in other realities. And then there's the blue jello..

[​IMG]

Enough for ALL Carters!

16. teacake

Stronghold: Eery time I see the Goa'uld again I think OH I MISS THEM. So happy to have the foppish Baal back.. and in a suit that would suit a Ferengi. Or perhaps a very florid poet. I'm getting Byron vibes here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Great episode though the friend of Mitchell subplot was pointless. Yes Mitchell feels bad about stuff that happened, next please. But the rest of it was in fine form :)

17. The Wormhole

No, it really wasn't that great an episode. It was nice to have some backstory given for Mitchell, but otherwise, meh.

And yes, it essentially is a remake of a Voyager episode.

I always thought Martouf's teeth looked far too white in this episode. Strange comment, I know.

The final battle at the end of this episode (the combined SG teams against Baal's Jaffa) is one I've always liked, primarily because it feels like old school SG-1 with so much nostalgia and really made me realize how much the Ori story had changed the show. Baal himself is great in this episode, especially when he admits to Teal'c that he's not really a god.

18. teacake

Yeah Baal is fantastic! I want to see the old gang again, bring back Hathor!

And as to teeth, I'm Australian and people on tv's teeth always look too white :lol:

Ethon: Why is this episode called Ethon? Who or what is Ethon?

This was engaging because they used the Ori to mess with a people we already knew, made it feel less like a bunch of new stuff thrown at us. It was great to see Jarod Kaine again, he's a rather good looking man with a lot of presence.

I was completely shocked that the Prometheus was destroyed and her captain with it. Got a bit teary.

19. The Wormhole

I don't know why they used the spelling Ethon, but Aethon is a Greek word which means burning. Also, in Greek mythology, it's an eagle which mocked Prometheus. Basically, the title of the episode a layered way of saying "the Prometheus will be destroyed in this episode." Good thing you didn't know what it meant, otherise the title would be a spoiler.

Here's the Wikipedia page for Aethon.

20. bigdaddy

They killed Janet off because they thought the show was ending that season (and season 5, 6, 8) and wanted to show that no matter how many times Daniel comes back from the dead that death is still a real thing everyone faces when they go through the Stargate.