Bemoaning lost memorabilia

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Melakon, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

An ST fan since 1966, I collected a lot of related merchandise. Models, books, videotapes, 70s fanzines, 35mm frames, scripts, posters, prop replicas-- including a hand phaser bought from Majel herself *SURPRISE!* who was there as a vendor and not as a guest. Then in 1990, an accident and job loss upended my financial situation and I can't even afford cable/satellite tv these days. After 15 moves in 20 years, all that Trek stuff is gone but for a few books and videotapes.

There was a very small convention during the 80s in Kansas City, at a community college campus I think. There seemed to be less than 1200 people, so the setting was pretty intimate. The lines were small enough I waited for Mr. Kelley's autograph. He was such a gentleman, very friendly. For small talk I mentioned he had inspired me to try acting in high school, because we were both Baptist preacher's kids. He signed the photo with an added "P.K.'s!"

That photo is what I miss most of all.

2. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Colorforms, that mego bridge set. the original technical manual. Star Trek disc shooters. The model set that the damn nacelles kept falling off.

I've only been to one convention, it was a medium venue, but it was too cool to arrive and immediatly see people you recognize just walking around.

and sad to see people you recognize sitting there by themselves reading a book, while waiting for someone to come talk to them. (Im referring to Herb Jefferson Jr., if anyone cares)

3. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

We don't actually own anything... just rented for a while. Hopefully you enjoyed your memorabilia while you had it in hand. Now some other folks are enjoying it... or hanging onto it in hopes of appreciation.

I've had some Star Trek memorabilia that I later sold... yet lost money when considering the depreciated US dollar. The only thing that has seriously gone up are some Master Replicas props. But I don't plan to let go of those for a very long time. ;)

But yeah, I had some great memorabilia from other franchises that I wish I'd kept. I had *2* large Lost In Space B9 robots (like 24" tall), the ones with lights and sounds. One got bashed up in some aggressive rough housing and the other was given away to some kid unbeknownst to me (which my mother regretted doing, after she got wind of my reaction). I also had a G.I. Joe with space suit and Mercury capsule. I don't even want to begin to look at resale on those! It would probably make me sick. :o

4. A'Tun-Te

A'Tun-Te Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Herb Jefferson Jr... Isn't he Boomer from BSG (1970's series)?
    I loved the original BSG series, and imho: the recent 'remake' is a "content corruption" of the original.
    But hey, that's me.
    I still think the original Cylon Raiders are amongst the most beautiful...
    [​IMG]

Edited per the request, good Sir. :)
    I did not mean any harm...

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  5. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe it would be a good idea not to trivialize the word "rape".

6. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Still got mine!

7. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I had 12" Captain Pike and Siskos that my grandmother bought me in high school. I sold them and she passed away around the same time. I really wish I had those back.

8. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

I really, really wish I still had the poster and blueprint set of the "ringship" that Lincoln enterprises sold back in the day.

*sigh*

9. A'Tun-Te

A'Tun-Te Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

10. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh, and the fleet battle game with the cutouts of the ship, and you picked a firing angle and used string to determine if you hit.

11. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Heck, I still even have a note pad with the Enterprise each page that I got from Lincoln Enterprises.

12. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I may still have some old 35mm film clips, I was mostly collecting effects (Apollo standing on a blue box in front of a blue screen), and the clapboards indicating scene and take numbers.

The monetary value of the lost objects isn't any concern for me, I miss them for sentimental reasons.

13. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

^ I know what you mean. I have some clay phasers that I'd made when I was a young teenager at summer camp. At one point I'd lost them... then recently rediscovered them. Simply hilarious to look at, but also a memory anchor. I pick up and hold them and it's like going back in time. The memories from that time come back fresh as day, like I was back there running about in the forest, hoping I'd stumble upon a landing party. ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  14. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Nice! I've loved and lost much memorabilia over the years. Sometimes I recall an item with a pang of sadness that it's gone. It's less the item itself and more the memories associated with the thing that I get mournful over. I lost my original Kirk 6 foot door poster (that reminds me of being at Uni and getting into Trek in a big way) for example. My favourite memorabilia is usually fan made stuff rather than the professional merchandise, though.

15. Anji

Anji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assisting in the birth of baby Horta on Janus VI
    Hey, these days we have to do things we don't want to in order to just get by. I am so sorry you lost all your Star Trek stuff. But the truth is, it's not the stuff, it's the memories. Some of my most valuable Star Trek "things" are memories of watching TOS while sitting on my dad's lap (my dad died when I was 7 years old so it's the only memory I have of him), going to the opening nights of the movies with my friends and meeting Gene Roddenberry and being too in awe to ask for an autograph.

That is a Trek fan's true collection.

By the way, hang in there, man. The economy will get better. We are all out there feeling it.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013