Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by JJ-R, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Kamdan

Kamdan Commander Red Shirt

It's been confirmed that Phase II test footage will be included in one of the special features. If someone can, please post the screencaps of this footage. I'm itching to see it and it's in HD.

2. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

My pre-order shipped from Best Buy a few days ago at a price of $79.99 but on their website it is on sale for $64.99. I called customer support and they changed the price for me right away so if anyone else is in a similar situation I would urge you to give them a call.

3. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Looks like S2 is already selling very well on Amazon.

Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #129 in Movies & TV
    #33 in Movies & TV > Blu-ray

Currently says "Usually ships within 9 to 12 days"!

4. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just watched a couple of episodes on disc 2. My thoughts:
    • The Schizoid Man. Ooh boy.... This episode has some very beautiful shots, but also some very problematic shots that will be talked about at length when more people have had a chance to see this episode. First of all, there is this shot:
      [​IMG]
      The weird thing about this shot is that as the Enterprise flies of to the right, the saucer is clearly cut off. But as it leaves the screen, the gap closes as if the Enterprise element is panning to the right also. The whole shot is aligned correctly as the ship leaves the screen. Very weird and clearly a mistake on the part of post-production company HTV.
    • There are also two equally problematic and ugly shots. One is at the start of chapter 4 as the Enterprise flies past Gravesworld. Gravesworld as a whole is rendered beautifully and looks way better than the SD version. But in this shot Gravesworld can be seen in the background as a close-up and it just looks upconverted to me. On closer inspection I could see it isn’t, but the CGI model is lacking in detail so that it comes across as flat and ugly. The second shot IMO is upconverted and it is a scene later on in the episode where Troi performs a psychotronic stabilitytest on Data/Graves. In a close-up shot on Data’s laptop we see all kinds of images from previous episodes, movies and other random images for which the remastering team probably couldn’t find the original elements (although it does contain scenes that have been remastered for season 1). It looks very soft, with dull and washed out colours and I really think that because of the potential difficulty of remastering all those tiny shots, they instead decided on upconverting the SD shot. It a short scene, but it stands out.
    • Unnatural Selection fares way better. I think this episode looked very good and faithful to the original effects. The matte painting of researchstation Darwin looks far brighter than in the original episode and much more detail is visible. My only gripe was with the destruction of the Lantree. The explosion looked jittery to me.
    Curious to learn what your thoughts will be.

5. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I will say that shot is horrendous. Forget the "cut off saucer" on the right, what the fuck is going on with the deflector dish? That's just amateurish work that never should have passed muster.

6. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

Reason the deflector and indeed the rest of the ship looks weird is because it is the very low detail 2ft model that was absolutely never intended for 1080p resolution !

7. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah in SD you could often mistake it for the 6-footer if you didn't look too hard (such as in Q Who?). But now, in HD, it's painfully obvious that it's a different model.

The odd thing is, 2 feet is still a pretty decent size for a model (larger than the old ERTL model kit, in fact). It's kind of strange they couldn't get more detail or better lighting into it.

8. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

CBS did a decent job getting the 2 footer looking better.

9. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

I'm I too much of a nutty fan to guess that that ep. on in the background is "Coming of Age"? Is that Remmick holding the PADD? :D

10. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Incorrect. It has young Teri Hatcher in it. That, to me, is its only redeeming quality. Same is true for Ashley Judd in The Game. ;)

11. jimbotron

I ordered it on Amazon over the weekend after it went down to 64.99. It is supposed to ship by today (it has not yet), and it supposed to arrive Thursday (not likely).

First thing I'll do is watch Shades of Gray - insane, I know. I want to see how the season 1 stock footage looks after HTV did their thing with it.

12. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

Right you are. :techman:

13. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Teri Hatcher yes, but her bushy eyesbrows... No!

14. BillJ

Yeah, those things could reach out and strangle a man. :lol:

Just got home from picking up the set. Not sure if I'll get an episode in before going to get my son from school or not.

15. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

Do you have a source you can link to for this info?

This would be footage shot in April 1978 I assume. To be able to see what 35mm footage kept in the archives from an abandoned TV pilot shot in 1978 on 35mm and telecined now in 2k to HD would be awesome!

16. BillJ

A few minutes into The Child. The effects are underwhelming, but not as bad as the DVD.

17. BriGuy

BriGuy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I won't be watching the season 2 set tonight, and I'm pissed - at Best Buy.

They feature it in the ad, and then don't have it available at ANY stores in the metro Pittsburgh area.

It is marked as unavailable at nine - NINE - Best Buys in my area. That is ridiculous.

Plus, after striking out at my nearest Best Buy - and being told the nearest store that has it is in WEST VIRGINIA - I went to WalMart only to find it not there, either.

Grrr.

It's times like this I really, really miss Circuit City.

18. jimbotron

Best Buy is very frustrating.

On release day for the Indiana Jones Blu-ray box set, I went over to my local Best Buy. It wasn't there. There wasn't even a kiosk or a spot for it. I thought maybe I had the release date wrong, but it was correct.

A huge Blu-ray release, but I guess Best Buy made no effort to make it available. I went home and bought it off Amazon instead.

19. Leroy

Leroy Commodore Commodore

A little help to those wanting to purchase the set from Best Buy, their site has an in store pickup feature that lets you see if that store has it in stock or not, just type in your zip code, I'm not aware of how accurate it is however, it hasn't let me down.

20. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, Best Buy's movie section is a confusing mess nowadays. I was able to find the S1 set last time, but it took quite a bit of looking first.