Ryan Gosling to portray Hal Jordan/Green Lantern

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by PKerr, Oct 10, 2008.

1. PKerr

PKerr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ryan Gosling to portray Hal Jordan/Green Lantern??

"Green Lantern casting update

El Mayimbe here…

So yes the word on the Green Lantern is that it is moving along and that rehearsals should start in February for a Spring 2009 shoot.

Earlier, I had received word from someone that the Green Lantern choices have been nailed down and that they were considering Seth Green, Justin Long, and David Boreanaz.

I was like WTF?!

Confused, I went to my guys to get to the bottom of what is going on and to see if it was true.

Thankfully, hell no, not true.

BUT…I did manage to find out something.

You know who the studio wants to wear Abin Sur’s ring and take up the mantle of The Green Lantern?

From my trusted source within the WB, I’m hearing…Ryan Gosling.

Personally, I think a really hot choice! Ryan Gosling is a dope actor and would kill the role. Remember folks that he is an Oscar nominee. Green Lantern/Hal Jordan in the script is 27 and currently Ryan is 27 (his 28th birthday is next month).

Mind you, I don’t know if an offer has been made, and if WB is into it now with Ryan’s people, but once again Gosling is who I’m hearing the WB wants for Hal Jordan.

Hal Jordan is a fictional character, a DC Comics superhero. He is the second Green Lantern and arguably the most famous hero to bear that name. Created by John Broome and Gil Kane, he first appeared in Showcase #22 (October 1959).

Hal Jordan's revamp as the Green Lantern was one of many old DC Comics characters to emerge in the Silver Age of comics. Like many of his contemporaries, Hal Jordan became more identified with his heroic identity than the previous iterations of the characters. Controversy erupted among comic book readers in 1994 when Hal Jordan became supervillain Parallax and Kyle Rayner replaced him as the Green Lantern.

Jordan underwent a number of further changes in the 1990s including dying and later returning as a new incarnation of The Spectre. Hal Jordan returned to the role of Green Lantern in 2004's Green Lantern: Rebirth miniseries and is currently the protagonist of the current volume of Green Lantern.

So what do you guys think?

In the meantime, you can follow my updates on TWITTER."

http://latinoreview.com/news/exclusive-green-lantern-may-have-a-notebook-5506

Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
  2. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

This is not officially confirmed, and only a rumor. Regardless, I wouldn't mind Gosling, he would just need to beef up. He just seems kind of small to me.

3. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

^Ditto.

4. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Even though it's a rumor I'm hoping it ends up being true: mainly because DC needs to get other properties out there than just Batman and Superman.

5. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

That sounds kind of funny seeing as how he did play a young Hercules.:techman:

6. Good Will Riker

Good Will Riker Admiral

That was the main problem with most of the TV audiences when they had reservations about Gosling portraying Young Hercules.

He's a good, solid actor, and a good casting choice. His acting and screen presence has improved considerably since his teen years. :cool:

7. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

If this pans out, I think Gosling will make a great GL. And I'm sure he'll bulk up sufficiently.

8. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thought there was huge support here for Ben Browder as Hal Jordan?

Would've loved that...eve though he's older, it could really work in the storyline...(i.e. "aging" test pilot who is fading away in his career as test pilot gets a whole new adventure...)

9. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Browder isn't a movie star. I'd love to see him on some good TV based sci fi tho.

10. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I'm more interested on who they pick for the director. Hopefully the new director will good like Favreau and Nolan were.

11. zenophite

zenophite Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

neither are alot of folks in movies :lol:.

Gosling seems like a good choice. Ryan Reynolds might also work. I get these two guys mixed up all the time.

12. roguephoenix

roguephoenix Captain Captain

ryan does great work. this should be good barring any writer/director misses like x3.

i'm just really really really thankful it's not jack black like previously rumored. >_<

13. TK421

TK421 Commodore Commodore

He's a great actor. This should be awesome, so long as they let him keep his sense of humor.

14. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Gosling as Hal jordan would be very nice. Similar to how we have a legit actor in Christian Bale playing Batman.

Not some no-name/underwear model like for Superman.

15. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Personally I think David Boreanaz would be a better choice. He may not be a box office draw, but neither is Gosling, really. Critically acclaimed actor, yes, but he doesn't really put too many bums on seats. Boreanaz has the acting chops for the part, IMHO, and looks the part too. But if Gosling bulks up, I'm sure he'll do fine - as someone else said, better him than an underwear model type.

16. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

The problem with Browder and Boreanaz is that neither one has proven that they have what it takes to really carry a movie acting career. They are fine as television actors, but really, how different is Browder's Farscape performance from that on Stargate, for example?

17. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

Why? Green Lantern gets his power from his ring, not his muscles.

18. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Hal Jordan is a test pilot. He flies planes. He should be sort of muscular. I'm not expecting like Christian Bale Batman Begins toned, but perhaps just a little bit more than he is now. He just seems physically small.

19. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Because Leo DiCaprio on Growing Pains and Johnny Depp from 21 Jumpstreet screamed "moviestar" to us before they first got a chance on the big screen?

Heck, even Gosling from Breaker High??

They need the chance to prove something before being dismissed outright, I would imagine.

20. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

At least he has height going for him. Gosling is mostly a complete unknown to me. I have not seen him in anything yet. But I just checked and was surprised to learn he is 6' 1". Same as I am and people treat me like I am a Giant! LOL Of course I am a bulky guy. Goslingly seems tall and lanky. But he should be able to fill out his out his frame easily. If he was short it would be a different story.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2008