20 YEARS AGO TODAY: "But I'm Not Even Supposed to BE Here Today!"

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by cooleddie74, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

Ugh. This is terrible news.

All overrated Kevin Smith has really done, apart from terrible movies, is encourage people to be slackers who think they're much more smart than they actually are. A little witty banter and these people think they're awesome. I suppose you can give credit to overrated Kevin Smith for actually encouraging a portion of a generation to become something, but really let's be honest - aspiring to be a failure isn't all that great. So thanks for that, overrated Kevin Smith.

Overrated Kevin Smith, when not purchasing two plane tickets for one person, is now appearing on this comic book show on AMC about grown men with serious issues that are afraid to step out in to the real world but when residing within their own little world, they think they're the cat's ass. It's perfect really.

I'm just thankful overrated Kevin Smith wasn't tapped to do something like a Star Wars or any sort of comic book movie. Overrated Kevin Smith's talents lie in the lowest common denominator range.

I will not be watching overrated Kevin Smith's money grubbing, desperate and sad 3rd attempt of Clerks.

2. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

So much to say so little. Why even post in the first place? I don't post in threads about movies I have no interest in, I'd consider that a waste of my time.

3. Toxteth O´Grady

Toxteth O´Grady Captain Captain

:confused:

Wow, this was a fun little thread until now.

4. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Maybe we should all turn up on his doorstep.

"Do you post as Garak on the Trek BBS?"

5. Toxteth O´Grady

Toxteth O´Grady Captain Captain

:lol:

I didn't even think of that!

6. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Maybe Garak is really a huge Kevin Smith fan and this is merely a piece of performance art.

In that case Garak, I applaud you for on your interpretation of Jay's rage against the movie studios in 'Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back.'

7. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Kevin's shining moment in the Askewniverse films.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBlA_fsi_VE[/yt]

8. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Stumbled on this getting lost as one does on TVTropes...

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QepgKVOVfZ8[/yt]

9. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Today I watched Dogma and Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. I skipped Clerks because I'm going to wait till my bluray of Clerks II arrives in the mail, then I'll watch both back to back.

Dogma is a great film, you can tell it really meant a lot to Smith. My only complaint is I wish Jason Lee was able to play Loki like Smith intended. Nothing against Damon, but I love Lee and Afflecks chemistry in Chasing Amy and would have loved to see it carried over to this film.

As for JASBSB, I like the film, and it never fails to make me laugh. There's just not a whole lot of substance to it though, and it's the only View Askewniverse film I revisit the least.

10. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

How have I never heard that Jason Lee was supposed to be Loki before?!?! What did the studio overrule him or something? That would have been cool, but I *really* loved Lee's bitter sarcasm as Azrael.

11. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Another movie he was filming conflicted with Dogma's filming schedule; he had to take the smaller role of Azrael. I believe the other movie was 'Mumford.'

12. cooleddie74

Jason Lee is a shining facet of every Smith film he's been in. Even as Lance Dowds in Clerks 2 he delivers relatively simple and mundane lines with such comic brilliance and timing.

"Randal Graves.

You work here too? Is anybody else from our graduating class back there?"

:lol:

13. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

14. cooleddie74

Same here. I missed most of his Askewniverse films when they were originally in theaters, but I'm seeing Clerks 3 with an audience. It's fun to feed off the great reactions of other fans.

15. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I saw Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, and Clerks II in theaters. Both films were opening night with fans, so it was pretty neat, but the theaters were still only like half full. I ended up seeing Strikes Back like 2 more times in theaters, each time there were less people there.

16. cooleddie74

It's always more fun to watch one of his movies with others who appreciate his humor and characters. When you don't have to explain what "snoogans" means or who Mooby is it definitely makes watching a Smith film go more smoothly.

That said, it can be entertaining to educate a noob to the Askewniverse and watch them go "what? Never mind, I don't want to know."

17. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I recall the theatre was full or partially full when I went to see both those flicks with my best friend which I had introduced to Smith's films only a few months before. I believe we went opening weekend, but the Saturday, so second night. Nothing quite like seeing a film with like minded people and the fanbase surrounding you.

18. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I watched Clerks at 2 in the morning with a co-worker after having worked a 10 hour shift at a party store as a clerk after our security guy invited us over to check it out. There is no way not to love the movie after that. :lol:

Strangely enough Office Space came about in the same manner with my first office job. I've been led by Kevin Smith and Mike Judge through working life...

19. cooleddie74

Elias: "I get chicks left and right."

Randal: "Your chicks ARE your....left and right."

20. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

I cracked up so bad when he Elias went on about pillowpants. :guffaw:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbWNRrQG61c&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/yt]