Stephen King's Under the Dome - TV Series Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Definitely don't read the book, then. That particular plotline is even more weird and gross in the novel, because...

Junior's girlfriend Angie and her friend (Dodee; the heavyset girl from the radio station) are killed off by Junior very quickly and he keeps them in a kitchen pantry with others bodies where he molests their corpses repeatedly throughout the book.
    So, what we're getting in the show is thankfully pretty tame by comparison. I'm glad they made that change, not just because of the grossness, but because I like that we actually get to learn more about her character on the show.

2. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I guess if they wanted to stay true to the book they needed keep some scraps of that plot thread in there, it just seems so unnecessary. Between the dome, whatever is going on with town leaders/councilmen and the murderer guy seems like we've quite a bit going on. But, nah, we also need this creeper chaining up girls in a bomb shelter. I almost think Stephen King writes his books the same way "South Park" suggests Family Guy episodes are written.

So now we get Christine possessing the body of a teenage boy rather than a Plymouth.

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Barbie isn't a murderer.

He's an extreme businessman.

A murderer murders because murder is cool.

Ordinary people can murder when the situation calls for murder without murder defining them.

4. EmoBorg

EmoBorg Commodore Commodore

I don't know what the hell is gonna on in your mind. :cardie:

5. Guy Gardener

I was talking about policemen and soldiers.

You didn't get that?

Murder is just a by-product of doing business sometimes.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
  6. Trekker4747

God broke the mold when he made Guy.

7. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

There was no mold. He was put together from left over bits from the castings.

8. Trekker4747

And then filled with the goop they put inside Stretch Armstrong dolls.

9. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

That sounds almost exactly like . . .

The "twist" ending of the fifth-season Twilight Zone episode "Stopover in a Small Town."

10. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

I saw the first two episodes over the weekend. Generally started out fairly good. When I saw the cow split in two I had to do a double take that it was broadcast on network television - CBS.

A couple of things in the plot don't make sense. For example, why wouldn't the people outside the dome be trying to maintain contact with those inside? That the military people / scientists ignore everyone is illogical. You'd think they'd setup a two way communication system using computer terminals/tv's to transmit written messages back and forth would have been setup immediately.

When the kid realized that the dome permits water molecules / water vapor to go through the dome that would imply that air can also go in and out of the dome. Why didn't he share that with the group and alleviate their fears that the air would run out?

11. Trekker4747

The implication I got was that the military personnel were likely under orders to not communicate with those inside "the dome." Otherwise, there's no reason why they wouldn't try some form of communication (like written) between the inside of the dome and the outside world.

12. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

But why? Military experiment on sheilding technology over small town went haywire?

13. Trekker4747

We don't know. It's been two episodes. We just know that the red-haired chick was unable to draw their attention or get them to communicate with her the morning after the dome appeared. It's unlikely they didn't see or notice her (I assume military personnel are required to have peripheral vision) especially if she (as she suggested) took her top off. There may have been other references to communications to the outside of the dome no longer taking place.

What happens in the book aside, we don't know why the dome is there or what caused/is causing it or why communications to the outside have ceased. Again, it's been two episodes. I have a feeling they're trying to build a story and mythology here and not give everything away in the first bundle of episodes. ;)

14. Guy Gardener

Sure you'd kill most of the people inside the dome, but if you dug it up, and the dome turned out to be a huge ball, which it is, couldn't you just roll it around if you had something big enough to push or pull it?

15. Trekker4747

I swear all of these characters were made from a deck of cards comprised of cliches.

16. Guy Gardener

Barbie didn't like being called a souless killer thug. See!

Then the new sheriff shoots someone else dead and she's a hero.

17. Trekker4747

Then the creeper guy totally talks and acts like a complete creeper and no one suggests he needs to be in a padded cell medicated to incoherence!

18. Guy Gardener

There's no reason to talk about me like that. :(

19. Trekker4747

You're already well past medicated to incoherence.

20. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

S'Alright, we already have you under proper observation. ;)