Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes Season 5 DVD problems

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Ian Keldon, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Luminus

Luminus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I download my content to the X-Box 360 hard drive. No one's yanking anything away from me.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I read the article.

is it the kindle out right with a back door?

Because it seems to claim that if you buy anything from Amazon and leave it in the first device that you downloaded it to, even though you are allowed to make a copy, that they monitor the position of where your edition files are sitting if there is a problem with the copyright or such.

Problem being that they accidentally sold illegal files, deleted them, explained what they had done, and then refunded the cash.

But if it's not the kindle, and you actually buy files/games with your X-box, which I'm not sure is what you do, if there is a recall, that they can intrude into your x-box and remove them for your own good if Amazon has the permissions to go into your systems to sell you stuff.

So download all media/games only to a separate device/server than where you plan to use it.

Isn't this how they make us buy drugs on the corner?

You give the money to one nine year old kid, walk around the corner and there's another nine year old kid with your nickel bag of smack waiting for you.

That way the cops get the money or the drugs but not both.

3. Luminus

I download to my X-Box 360. Unlike the Kindle, Microsoft isn't linked to my X-Box, so they can't delete anything from my hard drive. Otherwise, they'd be able to remotely clear my cache (as they always suggest, when you have a problem).

4. Guy Gardener

My kid says that he needs two play station portables.

One for cracked games and one for games he bought, since they go mental if they find cracked games when they're downloading stuff into your PSP.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  5. Luminus

^Nothing gets downloaded or deleted from/to the X-Box 360 without user permission.

6. Guy Gardener

This is what I was told about PSP, not XBOX.

They black list you for having pirated material.

Which means that you can't download all their free stuff.

It's not like they send up the bat signal or email the local police station which could be within their power if you were silly enough to give them billing information and they had a real hard on for justice.

But then for ever coked up Chinese (Why? I have no idea how that's funny?) lawyer being an asshole too cheap to buy his own games they might try to litigate they'd have have to wade though 400 nine years who's parents are on a benefit, so really it's just a mountain of bad press and they'd have to end up giving away thousands of PSPs to recover from the media backlash with.

7. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

8. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Microsoft can kill your X-Box anytime they choose if it's connected to the internet. Don't kid yourself.

9. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

The game situation is about to get really "interesting" with the new "locked" consoles (designed to prevent buying used games and/or sharing games with friends)

I went ahead and got Vol 5 (I like the show that much).

Here's the list of Eps in airdate order. Use this order so you don't accidentally spoiler yourself. The numbers after the ep titles are track numbers for the dvds. Disc number is also included.

1. The Private War of Dr Doom 1
    2. Alone Against AIM 2
    3. Act of Vengence 3
    4. Welcome to the Kree Empire 4
    5. To Steal an Ant-Man 5
    6. Michael Korvac 6
    7. Who Do You Trust? 8 (disc 2)
    8. The Ballad of Beta Ray Bill 7 (disc 1)
    9. Nightmare in Red 10 (disc 2)
    10. Prisoner of War 12 (disc 2)
    11. Infiltration 11 (disc 2)
    12. Secret Invasion 13 (disc 2)
    13. Behold...The Vision 9 (S2 Ep 14, disc 2)
    14. Powerless bonus (disc 2)
    *Edited to fix errors in list*

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  10. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow. That should kill the game rental market too.

11. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

If it happens. It hasn't been mentioned as a "feature" of the Wii U, and I doubt the PS4/Xbox 720 will do it. Maybe years from now, but honestly I think the backlash would be too much for them, especially since they can easily just screw people with online passes instead, which still works and doesn't get the amount of backlash that blocking used games would get.

12. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

Very possibly. The end state the game makers (and most other IP property right holders) want to achieve is that you never own what you bought. You buy a certain amount of use of the material, in effect renting it.

13. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/01/xbox-720-used-games/

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57406063-1/next-playstation-to-lock-out-used-games-report-says/

Read it and weep.

14. Guy Gardener

That's just madness.

What about if you use (I don't play games, but I have children who I forget to feed most of the time.) an emulator on your PC? You might have to buy an even stronger pc down the line to keep up with the specs of the ps4, but with a few hundred megs of illegal software, your pc can already process playstation 2 and 3 disks illegally quite well and without fret of big brother screwing you over... Which supplys a place to play second hand games and eventually once you get sick of their bullshit, Microsoft and Sony's fist hand games after you sell their stupid consol to buy a joystick adapter for your pc.

There's this old joke I love.

Q: How many copys of Microsoft Word did Microsoft sell in China in 2002?

A: One.

You go onto Youtube and there's people showing you how to crack open your game consol and solder shit into it to make it useful and less of an asshole like what they should have done with 3PO between Revenge of the Sith and New Hope.

I have too much rage inside to play video games, so I'm not talking about me, but the only people with the surplus money and time to play these games PROPPERLY are drug dealers and they're already going to jail if they can survive the small arms fire when the cops break their door down.

First Ammedment.

If the content of a game can be classified as free speach, then it must be illegal to charge for it?

How long does a copyright on a game last?

Does some *&^% like Atari still hold the rights to Pong?

When does Pong enter the public domain?

15. Luminus

A nonsense claim with no evidence to back it up. You might as well say they can kill my computer, while you're at it. I am using Windows, after all. If they are capable of and willing to do something like that, then there's nothing stopping them from coming to your door and taking back the physical products by force, either. You did register your products, didn't you? You paid with a credit card, didn't you?

I don't live paranoid and neither should you.

16. Guy Gardener

You bought the physical storage medium. The disk. The information on the disk is not yours. You have rented a small number of permissions to use that information within a narrow set of boundaries and take one step out of those boundaries, like say to make more copies than permitted under that license, which may even be one copy, will give them reason to sick stormtroopers on you.

17. TemporalFlux

One last note to this discussion that made the news rounds today. Is the U.S. Supreme Court about to lay the ground work so that you can't re-sell *anything* you buy? Could be. The appellate courts leading up to this decision have ruled that you should not be able to re-sell due to violation of copyright.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/your-right-to-resell-your-own-stuff-is-in-peril-2012-10-04

eBay has written a friend-of-the-court brief against such a decision citing that such a move would devastate U.S. commerce (specifically resulting in eBay practically going out of business).

18. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

^The implications for that are obvious. They get their foot in the door with the loophole, then demand the same rights over domestic produce (if any is left after rights holders offshore all manufacturing to take advantage of the loophole).

19. Guy Gardener

What are you talking about?

The Supreme Court is deciding about whether they want to send you, yes you personally Ian, to jail for buying second hand records, using ebay or having a garage sale and you're talking about some conspiracy where evil foreigners take over America?

20. TemporalFlux