How I Met Your Mother: Barney and... (Spoilers ahead...)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

They'll never get together unless the show is cancelled.

2. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Even if the show is cancelled, they have contingency mothers. It will never be Robin.

3. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Yep, not gonna be Robin. And they've had 'contingency mothers' in every season so far, in case they had to wrap things up quickly. It could have been Vittoria, Stella, Rachel Bilson's character, and a couple others I'm sure I'm blanking on at the moment. Early seasons, they were on the cancellation bubble, so they always had an emergency 'out' if they needed to wrap up.

WOULD be nice if they moved things along, although the yellow umbrellas and ted's finally looking ready to move on hint that maybe we're moving again. Would be nice if he met her at the end of this season, and they actually spent the final season introducing her, ending with Ted getting married off and wrapping up the story that way.

Also, found it funny that when he was trying to take the mother to the movies this episode, the movie they couldn't get into was The Wedding Bride III, apparently the 3rd movie in the series about his failed engagement to Stella :lol:

One thing this series does really well is the callback jokes and continuity. Most episodes have tons of things like that thrown in there, really ties things together nicely. The blue horn being chained to the wall in the restuarant was a nice touch! Yellow umbrella was obvious. Sometimes it's little things, like when Marshall was stuck on the roof this year because the kid trapped him up there to have a party, and they showed the kid eating a sandwich. Go back a bit, and sandwhich is code in the story for the characters smoking weed. took a few minutes to figure that out, but then you get a good laugh out of it...

4. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

This thread has been around for a few years and it was intended to be an ongoing discussion.

That twist at the end was pretty bizarre. They wouldn't have put it there unless it meant something. Having the mother also be named Robin makes the most sense. I don't see how they could twist things to make our Robin the mother.

For a while now I've been thinking that Nora will be back. Now I'm not so sure. They've done a good job of shaking things up again.

5. firesoforion

firesoforion Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I agree, though actually the mother's name should be Theresa (I think that was what it was). There was one episode where he joked about a stripper being their mother, and the stripper had given her name, and I think that name was Theresa, so we know that much!

I also think that the Barney marriage question will be between Robin and that blonde girl that he met and was blowing him off, and I think he'll choose the other one. One problem is that Barney has decided firmly that he wants kids, too. And that's pretty in character considering he could only accept his brother's marriage when he found out they were going to adopt a kid. I really don't think they can wind up together.

Plus we have to find out about Robin's "shirt" guy, and if she winds up with anyone, I think it will be him. They did make a big deal about her "not being alone" because she had them, though, which would indicate she might not actually even get married.

I think they'll actually introduce the mother in the last episode, but there will be increasing amounts of build up of how their relationship develops before then, so that essentially we know everything that came before, and everything that came after, and the actual moment is in the last episode. Like we already know some of the things he finds really cool about her (plays bass, paints robots, has the same music), where they go on their first date, and when he first tells her he loves her. One thing I'd LOVE if they did is brought it back and had the mother be the girl from the dating service who he had cancelled on because of Robin. That would essentially mean that she and Ted were perfect for each other, but that Ted had needed to grow (he had said something in one episode about how this was also the story of how he became who he needed to be to get together with the mother). She might be a little too young for that, though...at any rate it would be cool if they brought that back.

Very funny about the sandwich and the movie, I did not notice either of those things!!

6. scnj

scnj Captain Captain

I'm not bothered about the identity of the mother. To me, the whole thing is just an excuse for Ted to tell stories about his cool insane friends. Hell, Ted is the least interesting of the bunch.

7. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

^This is true. Ted seems to work only as a foil for the other characters lately. And frankly, compared to them, he's really not that interesting.

8. scnj

scnj Captain Captain

It's like Ross and Rachel in Friends. The early seasons were all about them, but the focus shifted in later seasons to Chandler, Joey and Monica. HIMYM doesn't really have that luxury, but Ted's part in the story seems to be the least important lately.

9. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Lilly brought it home because she didn't want it to be slaughtered in one episode.

10. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

That's true for at least 1-2 seasons.. somewhere they missed the exit and the main storyline of how Ted met the mother of his kids got stale and uninteresting. No relationship Ted had was ever going to last because we knew she wasn't the mother so there was never any tension.

Back in season 1 and 2 it was a novelty when Ted met Robin and they hit it off in the pilot episode only for the surprising reveal that she was "just" aunt Robin to the kids but it was nicely written and even during their relationship in season 2 it was still funny.

Yet somehow the show has gotten stale.. from time to time it is still very funny or has some engaging storylines (last ones were the death of Marshall's dad or the drama between Robin and Barney recently).

However i only watch the show out of habit now and that's not a good sign.

11. scnj

scnj Captain Captain

I'm still enjoying it for the most part. It probably helps that I watch it with a friend, but I think they still have excellent episodes every so often. Subway Wars springs to mind, as well as the one where Barney was trying to replace Lily and Marshall and they kept altering the credit sequence.

12. firesoforion

firesoforion Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I still like it, and I agree about their having excellent episodes every so often.

I think a huge difference in this and previous seasons is that the characters have moved to different, well, life stages, at this point, and that's kind of necessary because each season is a year and it wouldn't be realistic otherwise, but the 20s/early 30s and settling down are a much more standard and easy time to write about than where the characters are now, which is being settled down, having the jobs they intend to stay in, even buying houses, having kids, etcetera. The conflict and drama they got from the other things, and the personal growth that all the characters were still going through earlier on, is gone, and now it really is the characters (and the show) tying up some excess loose ends.

13. AliciaD496

AliciaD496 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I was just thinking...in 2030 the kids look to be somewhere between 16 and 18 (maybe a little younger, but not much). If the writers intend to keep that timeline and not pull something like they did with the Robin episode back in January Ted's going to have to get a girl pregnant probably next season, or they'll have to reveal the kids are adopted or something.

It's a good point that Barney and Robin are in different places on the kid topic which does lend itself to her NOT being Barney's bride. Wasn't that the whole reason Robin and Ted broke up in the first place at Lily and Marshall's wedding, they didn't have the same ideas of where their lives were going?

Honestly I need to get the DVDs off Netflix sometime and watch the show in order. I've only ever had a mishmash of syndicated episodes thanks to the local fox affiliate. They tend to replay the same episodes quite a few times and I'm probably missing a few connecting points that might be important (like Barney finally met his father?).

Yes Ted is kinda boring (we know where his story is going, just not when it's going to get there), but so are Lily and Marshall at this point in a way. Once they have their baby their story's pretty much done aside from a few crazy kid antics episodes. Robin's interesting because her story could go any direction at this point same for Barney (though we do know he gets married at some point, likely in the near future).

14. Guy Gardener

Ted said something like this in the first few minutes of this weeks episode, "We broke up because when we answered the question where would we be in 5 years time, our answers were just too different, but Robin, it is 5 years later, and look where we are, standing on the rooftop together where I kissed you for the first time."

They could be her kids, but I doubt it considering she didn't seem to have amy dependants when Ted saw her ankle last year.

I just like looking at the Daughter (Lyndsy?), when she's on Nikita and remarking how much she's grown that she could NEVER film additional scenes for the cutaways.

Lyndsy was born in '87, and the show started in 2005, so this is the frakking zero hour,

Ted has just spent hours talking about banging Aunt Robin.

I think he's accidentally psychologically conditioned them to want to bang Aunt Robin too.

i mean this story telling must seem like being water boarded in a goolag?

Brainwashed much?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  15. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

^What kind of kids actually listen to their dad ramble? I'm certain they tuned him out years ago! Well, minutes ago, from their perspective....

16. Guy Gardener

I like it when they spit take because "dad" almost says something obscene.

It's my belief that after this show finishes that they should tell the tale "How I met your father"

Maybe have the mother telling the story to the kids as babies while she doing impossible things with them like bathing and feeding, but interchangeable 4 month olds would totally get around the trouble with the kids growing up, and then they could bluescreen her adventures to run through Ted's adventures from time to time in pure Forest Gump fashion.

but that's obvious and everyone's thought it at least once.

17. scnj

scnj Captain Captain

I've heard that the final scene with the kids has long been filmed.

18. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

I think the kids are supposed to be around 14 in the year 2030, which still gives the show an upper limit (this has been acknowledged by the creators) but it's manageable. At any rate, the show will need to have the mother get introduced soon, or they're going to need to abandon the 1 season = 1 year format (like That 70's Show did).

19. Guy Gardener

I refuse to believe that show will continue after her introduction.

All though, they could introduce her before Ted meets her.

"Now what I didn't know was that at this point, your mother was..."

20. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Spoiler question for the April 9th episode...

Did anyone see a ring on Barney's finger in 2015?