Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by JJ-R, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Borjis

Borjis Commodore Commodore

Chris Latta, was perfectly cast for the Pakled leader!

"We are shmart, make things...go"

2. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

I don't understand why they ever take *any* sublight journeys on a shuttle when a quick warp jump on the mothership would be adequate :)

3. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, good point. Considering they're taking such a slow-ass shuttle, it's obvious the planet couldn't have been too far away. Which means the Enterprise could have warped over there in a matter of seconds.

4. Ghostface1701

Ghostface1701 Commander Red Shirt

Or alternatively, why didn't they use the warp engines that are clearly attached to the sides of the shuttle?! :wtf:

5. dg1379

dg1379 Commander Red Shirt

I've wondered about that too. Is warp travel on support craft only available on run-abouts? Even the larger shuttles have warp engines on them yet are never used, on screen at least.

6. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Maybe Picard simply wanted to take a leisurely stroll without the burdens of command while on his way to have his heart tinkered with?

7. Freman

Freman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm just wondering. Do the blu-ray sets have any audio commentaries? This is something I think is solely lacking from the original DVD sets (except of course Enterprise, TAS, and the movies.)

8. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The first season didn't have any, but Season 2 has TWO audio commentaries and Season 3 will have MULTIPLE commentaries

9. BriGuy

BriGuy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They could be power units of a kind but not warp nacelles, per se.

Where you gonna fit a M/AM reactor in those things anyway? ;)

The speed and capabilities of the shuttles vary based on the script.

10. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Are we going to get any text commentaries in the next seasons? That was one thing I liked from the Voyager sets (I think they only did one) and the Enterprise sets. Would love it on the Blu-Ray.

11. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No text commentaries planned at the moment sadly. I think they're just too time consuming for the Okudas and CBS at the moment.

12. Beta-Z

Beta-Z Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

What's all their rush-hush about anyway? I mean.. is this about quality or some kind of a racing game?

13. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Most episodes seemed to suggest that that the shuttles were warp-incapable. IIRC, and without checking, the tech manual suggests some of the shuttles have limited warp capability. It could just be that whatever system Picard and Crusher were traveling to had "restricted subspace-space" and didn't allow in-system warp travel unless in an emergency so the shuttle was dropped off at the edge of the system and the Enterprise went about its mission.

14. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Just watched "Q Who", but, boy, th new composites don't even look as good as VHS. That pull out from Riker, Data and Worf on the Borg cube looked awful.

15. Beta-Z

That's so true, sadly.
    I've been very dissappointed about that shot too, especially because it's been so heavily announced as "outstanding remastered" in the extras, quite laughable. :thumbdown:
    The inserted material is so out of focus and looks clearly like what it is: inserted. And the new matte painting doesn't look HD at all, the whole new shot doesn't fit, not even on a small TV.
    Seems like the Okudas don't care as much as they pretend, need a new optician or are very, VERY far away from being experts of just anything related to picture quality.

16. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I would love to see a comparison pic of the composites that looked better on VHS. I keep hearing about them, yet to see them.

17. Beta-Z

Maybe it was, because we didn't see so many details back then. But that has to be taken into consideration if you want to compare fairly.
    I've been watching the VHS-UK (Pal-> better Picture than US-NTSC) versions on a small CRT-TV and "Q who" looked just amazing, especially that scene.
    Compared to what I see now on the big screen from Blu-ray (I mean now especially this above mentioned shot) I really had it much better in mind, because back then it was "Oh, wow, look at that" - now it's just "Oh nooo.. what did they do??"

18. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Uh, why?

The straight comparison was made, I challenge the claim. No need for excuses. :)

19. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Then that's purely yourself judging entirely by your own preconceptions. The season 2 set does have issues with it, yes, but 99% of the shots are definite upgrades over the original masters. Especially the "Q, Who?" matte.

I think everyone here is judging the set vs the quality of season 1, which as its contemporary is a fair judgement to make. Technically the VHS release has around a quarter of the detail these blu rays possess. That's the science of it.

20. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Science has no place in discussions about Star Trek! :lol: