The Walking Dead Season 4

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, May 6, 2013.

1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Eh, but the POV shot is from outside the prison, the prisoner who ambushes them later was still inside the prison and may have actually still been with them or trapped in the yard with the walkers while Carol was doing this.

2. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

He wasn't out in the yard with the walkers. He might have gotten out the way Tyrese's group got in and then got back in the same way.

3. Triskelion

Triskelion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Woodbury doctor is a sleeper agent for the guv, trying to start a plague? The guv was doing something with all those heads in jars, maybe medical research?

Infect fleas with the walker virus, use rats as a transmission system à la bubonic plague, get a sleeper agent in the prison to transmit virus to walkers. Wipe out enemy camp. Move in and start Norman Reedus fan club headquarters and walker gift shop.

4. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

Who would have a motive to support the Governor? The Woodbury survivors were taken in by their erstwhile enemies. It doesn't make sense that anyone would hold a grudge after learning what the Gov did to his own people - and there was one survivor of the massacre, so it's not like the story isn't known.

Let's face it - the villain this season is the flu. The Governor may appear, but he's a broken man now, and is probably more dangerous to himself than to anyone else. Not that he couldn't take a few people down with him, I suppose....

5. Marten

Marten Captain Captain

Does it have to be the Walker virus (which may or may not be a virus)? It seems like a aggresive strain of flu would do the trick just as well, if someone is poisoning them. They just have to die, after all.

6. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

Enjoyed the episode, but I have to agree with those who thing the group haven't been as proactive at setting up defences as they should have been. I also wonder, we see them killing walkers at the fence every week, but where do the bodies go?

I thought the idea of the pig sacrifice was a bit strange. They didn't seem to leave very big gaps between the pigs so it's not like they're leading the walkers away from the prison. It was a sad scene though. Those pigs had more development than T-Dog.

The last scene was really cool, hopefully they'll introduce more characters over the next few episodes so there's more of an impact when we find out who has been doing these things.

7. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really think when the Governor returns, they will have him be a part of another comic storyline. After the prison story in the comics, the team went on the road, and while on the road, came across a group of people who were capturing people and had gone cannibal. I think it's a great place to take the Governor and any other survivors he came across.

8. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Who? A dedicated psycho. It is more than clear the TV version of the Governor/Woodbury was heavily based on the relationships between Jim Jones and his Peoples Temple. In that horrid situation, there were loyal members still acting in the interests of the cult , even after the Jonestown murders. That said, I can see one of the Woodbury survivors acting as a mole--or planning revenge, even if he or she never sets on the Governor again.

9. TREK_GOD_1

I think that will be the big turn for the series, and the means of a tragic end for some of the heroes...

10. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

I've been thinking that as well.

11. Kytee

Kytee Commander Red Shirt

I think it was the little girl feeding the zombies for sure, the first time I watched the scene I actually thought I saw a flash of a face below the flashlight ( indicating it was a child holding the light up high ) but after re-watching it 3 times, I couldn't see it again. ( maybe it was lens flare :P ) Still, I really think there is something wrong with the child, when her sister said 'She's not weak, she's messed up' I think that was foreshadowing and I think Carol really misread the situation ; the kid really was upset about Nick dying. I have a feeling Carols decision to train the kids and now arm them without consulting any other adults is really going to come back and bite her in the ass.

Did more then one person die of the flu that night ? While clearing the prison they came to another cell with a bloody eyed zombie. There was a line about 'someone locked him in just in time,' to which Darryl replied the person in question locked themselves in every night because they sleep walk. If they don't ALL start locking themselves in now , it's going to feel like a huge plot hole to me, it's kind of hard to imagine they weren't already.

I have to agree with what has been said about the herd activity ; it's getting harder to accept how many zombies keep showing up ; assuming 100 zombies get cleared a day, over a 6 month period that's roughly 18 000 zombies. If they aren't clearing 100/day then why not ?
    One thing that stood out to me in the first episode, why the heck were the zombies on the roof of the big spot not all clumped up on the edge of the roof closest to the direction the music is coming from??? They have suggested zombies just mindlessly shamble toward stimuli, and the dialog told us that this very stimuli worked for a big crowd of zombies on the ground, how come the ones on the roof were different? The music was still playing as they went through the fence, so even if the sound of breaking glass made them turn away from the edge of the roof briefly , following the 'mindlessly shamble toward stimuli' rule they should have turned back toward the music when the sound of breaking glass stopped. It seems to me , they could have had the zombies act in this manner and still told essentially the same story by moving the liquor isle to the same edge of the store.

Anyway :) still loving the show, can't wait to see where things go with the final scene of this weeks episode.

Kytee

12. Triskelion

Triskelion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In terms of defense, They should try more medieval seige solutions. An archer defense on the roof, work in shifts. Have a production line crafting arrows. You can make longbows and crossbows out of wood or PVC tubes.

Just set up a rooftop defense like in medieval times:

[​IMG]

Archers constantly shooting and children making arrows.

For added accuracy create a bailey out of the prison yard; let zombies in a few at a time, as they cross the grounds, shoot them and dispose of the bodies a few at a time at your leisure.

Here's another interesting little weapon:

http://youtu.be/oz3ruRsh-HY

13. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I, again, really doubt the little girl was feeding the walkers. That would be hugely, massively, lame. The set-up seems to be for a much larger threat or problem. The little girl feeding the walkers? God that would be lame.

As for the herd activity, I think the final episode of Season 2 gives us a good example of how this works. We see a herd feeding in downtown Atlanta when a ("the"?) helicopter flies over. They follow the sound of the helicopter and eventually run into another idle group and this just keeps snowballing. Until finally we get the massive herd that eventually descended onto Hershel's farm.

Same thing's have happened here groups of walkers following noises run into other walkers either idle or following noises they clump together and form bigger and bigger herds. And considering the prison has been quite the activity of noise lately (especially during the battle with Woodbury) it makes sense it'd attract a lot of the walkers/lame-brains/biters/geeks/zombies.

14. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

To me, the smart answer is that there are two threats: a flu or other plague is causing people to turn while , at the same time, the governor is luring walkers there.

15. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

Clearly they're not destroying 100 zombies a day. Even if they were, though, there are 4 million people in the Atlanta metro alone, and 10 million in Georgia altogether. So if 99% died during the apocalypse, then we'd have 9.9 million zombies in the whole state. No way they could clear enough to make a dent in the walker population, ever. So a herd of 7500 is nothing. That's just a small town's worth!

If I recall correctly, the walker-to-human ratio (from the comics) is 5000:1. No one is destroying that many walkers alone, and that would mean there's only a million or so people left in the whole world.

16. Immolatus

Immolatus Captain Captain

just as a side thought, do you think their are any governments left in the world?

17. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

Possibly, maybe other parts of the world weren't hit as hard and the infection was contained. That would still leave them with enough problems of their own and no one would care about a few survivors in rural Georgia, they'd try secure their own territory and surviving population and maybe take a peak at North America a decade from now.

18. TREK_GOD_1

Why not? Humans are organized, and function even during the worst of wartime situations--when thinking opposition is trying to kill you with weapons. We can guess no one is keeping 9 to 5 hours and taking happy strolls down main street, but as we see in riot or war periods, sections of cities..borders are set up to protect the central governing body. How long is anyone's guess, but everything cannot drop like dominoes in a few months or year.

I consider dealing with thinking humans a greater problem than wandering walkers.

19. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

My way of thinking on that changed once it turned out everybody who dies from anything turns. Walkers would spread much more quickly that way.

20. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

A bunch of officials hiding in a bunker somewhere dose not a government make. If there's no effective chain of command, not direct communications or infrastructure of any kind then you don't even have a country, much less a government to run it.

At best you're going to get small pockets of holdouts that managed to find a fortified position with access to fresh water, some means of growing their own food and a good sized stockpile of weapons, ammo and medical supplies. Those are going to be few and far between because as we clearly saw, having stuff means there's ten times as many people out there with noting and desperate enough to kill you for it. And a thousand more waiting to kill them once they're all tired and distracted beating your skull in. So holding into it is going to be a battle on two fronts.

It's no accident the one of the main tropes of modern zombie fiction is the idea that the greatest threat is almost always internal conflict.