Matt Smith's Departure Confirmed.

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by StCoop, Jun 1, 2013.

1. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

I know this is probably never going to happen, but I just dreamt of a season that goes back to the time of John Hurt's Doctor.

2. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Sad news but hardly unexpected. In this day and age, there's no way an actor will stay in the role as long as Tom Baker did. Considering David "Biggest Who Fan" Tennant stayed in the role for four years, I didn't really expect Matt Smith to go much further.

As for the next actor play The Doctor, I know that I and everyone else here won't be able accurately guess who it will be (at the end of the day, it'll be someone most of us haven't heard of), but that won't stop me from speculating or dreaming. :angel:

These days I find myself hoping for the likes of Idris Elba and Ben Daniels (and not just because of the recurring rumors), but for old time's sake, I have to throw out Eddie Izzard and Alexander Siddig, too. Also, Hugh Laurie to Stephen Fry's The Master would be incredible. I would die and go to heaven if any of those fine actors were cast as The Twelfth Doctor.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  3. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

For the truly fun confusion factor, how about Idris Elba? :D

4. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

Patricia Routledge? :D

5. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

Clive Russell!

6. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Elba has been thrown around so much the last few years but while the man is a fantastic dramatic actor I've yet to see anything to suggest he would suit the Doctor. Seems like he is just tossed out as the one well known and talented black British actor.

Not only do I think he isn't particularly well suited to the role, but I doubt he would take it as he already has an established and consistent TV and film career.

Most of the fan favorites are just as unlikely for similar reasons.

If you want to do some affirmative action casting though, why not consider a few other names?

Chiwetel Ejiofor
    Clint Dyer
    Lennie James
    Eamonn Walker

7. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Matt Smith is my favorite actor in the role and I'm sad to see him go.

I hope when he leaves, we get another young, unknown actor, but I guess now would be the time to go for someone a little more famous.

8. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!
    Good - couldn't stand him and he's a big part of why I stopped watching.

He is an ugly skinny bugger who looks like a young version of Odo.

Bring on an older Doctor Who like Tom Baker or Jon Pertwee,

9. JRoss

JRoss Commodore Commodore

Goodbye, Matt. And at just the right time. Close to wearing out his welcome.

10. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

Enough with the Chiwitel Ejifor/Idris Elba stuff. I wouldn't cast a black actor, simply because of that bloody academic paper.

And a female Doctor would be weird. Sorry of I seem sexist and racist, but no. You wouln't get either of those guys or Tilda Swinton, they'd want too much money.

That said... Lenny Henry might be interesting. And Lara Pulver (Irene Adler, 'Sherlock') would be good if she could bring that same energy to the show.

Was chatting with a chap at my bookclub meeting yesterday. We bemoaned the downturn in the quality of recent Who, and he had an interesting take: that they are trying way too hard to appeal to the US market, to rake in even more dollars. The show has definitely changed, there's something missing. And if this is correct, they won't change the Doctor from being a white male, not wanting to rock the boat.

11. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Fuck that paper. Seriously, no one should even acknowledge such rubbish.

At the end of the day, Moffat and company should pick whichever actor who is best suited for the role.

12. Classic Fan

Classic Fan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm holding onto hope its some sort of Moff-esque viral publicity stunt, but after seeing the statement from Moff last night, I'm not too sure.

But, I just, just, can't take it. Smith has made the bad eps watchable. Tennants departure never hit me like the news last night. Smith is now my doctor and I want at least one more season. Thought we already did. But, from an actor standpoint I can see why, but, why, damnit?!

He has said in many interviews he was going to be filming season 8. :sigh:

"Thanks, Matt. And bow ties have never been cooler." - Steven Moffat.

13. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

The current trend in what appeals to the American scripted TV audience is quality character-driven writing. Plot-driven still has its place in procedurals, but even they are much more character-focused than even a decade ago.

The downturn in quality(or rather, inconsistence) is due to a distracted showrunner who has been recycling his favorite tropes for most of his tenure and feels that plots can be resolved with the dramatic equivalent of technobabble.

14. chardman

chardman Vice Admiral In Memoriam

Since Clara stepped into the Doctors timestream, and already exists in pretty much every part of it, she isn't like most humans. The point is, doesn't this connection give her something that would allow her to survive the thing that would have caused Donna to burn up, had the Doctor not wiped her mind? Mightn't a "Doctor Clara" be possible?

Think... Doc is mortally wounded, and needs to regenerate, but isn't sure how many, if any, regenerations he might have left. Fearing he might not have enough energy for a full regeneration, he reaches out to Clara, who is also wounded, and might not survive without a miracle. And the Doctor kinda saves both of them, by redirecting his regeneration energy into Clara. He has just enough regeneration energy to repair her wounds, and to fully integrate their minds. She awakes, with "The Doctor" fully integrated into her own mind, which is now also fully aware of its various incarnations as The Impossible Girl. She becomes the Doctor, and is still, in a sense, the REAL Doctor, as he is now a very real part of her. (Maybe the integration isn't perfect, so she can get into an occasional humorous argument with herself?)

15. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Clara is already the Doctor.

The Impossible Girl he rescued from his mind was a conflation of Clara shards built from his memories.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  16. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Damn. i'll miss him. Looking forward to the new Doctor...

17. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

But his memories are made of Amy's memories. So Amy is the Doctor.

18. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

Inevitable, but still - this is too bad. After all the quite pathetic (over)reaction to his casting, Smith turned out to be quite brilliant (and a welcome contrast to the insufferable Tennant, who made the show completely unwatchable for me). Hopefully the new person will be as enjoyable in the role, and hopefully Clara will depart the scent with Smith.

Agreed.

19. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d Commodore Commodore

What a bunch of crap. "Gotta dumb down the show and make it flashy for those Yanks!"

You've got to be kidding me. From 2005 to now the show has basically been the same. The only thing I've noticed is evolution. It's never lost its quirky British style. And it has never been high, award-winning drama -- either now or in the Classic era (from the 3rd, 4th, and 5th Doctor stories I've seen). I swear, some of you guys have a high-prescription pair of rose tinted glasses when it comes to Who.

Yes, everything went to hell when it became a success here. Right. :rolleyes:

20. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've been watching a lot of old Tennant episodes recently, I think I really miss the 2 and even 3 parters from the RTD era.

Some of the episodes feel too constrained by making them fit into 1 episode.

I like Matt Smith but I'll be happy to see Who's next in the role.