Spock's line *Major Major Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Jon1701, May 10, 2013.

1. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Spocks line *Major Major Spoilers*

Shatner's KHHHAAAAAN! has always been mocked ever since day one.

Which is why it's even more surprising how it made its way into this new film in a scene that is supposed to be taken seriously.

2. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

They must've decided to take a chance that fans would get lost in the moment and not immediately make the connection. Must not have worked out well for many. I haven't seen the movie yet (I'm on a one-week countdown), so I guess I'll see how I react then.

The other thing is Spock's death scene in TWOK was OK, but not really a great, great, iconic scene. It's been romaticized over time, I'd say. But as movie death scenes go, eh. Maybe that's the light it's finally being seen in this time. Pine and Quinto can't quite sell it as well as Shatner and Nimoy did. Maybe it wasn't worth the homage. (OMG. Did I really just write that? I HAVE BLASPHEMED!)

(And as far as Kirk coming back to life goes, it's not like anyone didn't expect Spock to come back somehow in the next movie, either.)

3. Classic Fan

Classic Fan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Dude, note perfect.

I had no problem with this version, but like you said, it has this stigma amongst fans with the terrible shatner version, which had been parodied to death, and because of that for a second or two, I was asking why, but soon after I accepted it and love that moment better than TWOK.

This version was so much more deserved. I prefer it in fact. When I watch trek movies now as a nearly 30 year old, I see them with nostalgic eyes as I grew up with them, but my older and wiser mind sees the flaws and, to be frank, takes me out of it as I can see the bad points I couldn't as a child, such as most of shatners acting and lines that just dont work.

Spock here as said, being half human, his emotions bubbling under the surface had hit breaking point, cried, got enraged and went and gave khan a Vulcan pummelling. =D

4. Jon1701

Jon1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There is not a Star Trek fan alive who couldn't make this connection...Seriously. :guffaw:

It's such a shame because the scene is quite touching even though not even 0.0001% of my brain would allow me to consider the possibility that Kirk was going to die.

The resolution was so telegraphed in advance it was impossible to think of anything else.

5. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

There's a clear topic in this thread (which is the only reason for its continued existence outside the Grading & Discussion thread) and the only possible reason for your post would involve intent to derail from it. Warned.

Didn't require a response.

Ditto. Don't feed what doesn't merit feeding.

Last edited: May 10, 2013
  6. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

I burst out laughing when I heard it, though not loudly. Didn't hear other people guffawing or anything.

I think someone might have been aiming for a new internet meme, and this will no doubt happen if it hasn't already.

Anyway, maybe it came pretty close to farcical, but it didn't ruin the movie for this viewer. Would still rate it as an excellent rollercoaster ride with some great dialogue and acting and not too much egregious use of special effects.

7. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Am I the only one who didn't have a problem with the line?

8. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I had to be the first to do it!
    [​IMG]

9. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I didn't either...

10. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Great! Where'd you get the image? :lol:

11. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

After seeing the movie I tracked down all the clips on Youtube which I'd avoided. They put it in the Spock Disruption one.

12. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Sorry but I don't see the problem, Quinto's performance sold it for me, he'd been bottling up a hell of a lot of emotion for who knows how long, it was a plot point throughout the film, it was eating at him the entire time, the meld with Pike only brought him more hopelessness then he watched his best friend die inches away. No one else in the theatre today had a problem with it either.

13. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I didn't, I thought it was great. The whole scene I thought was well realised and I enjoyed the flipped took scene.

The Khan scream did raise a smile though, but I thought it worked.

14. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah. I have to forgive :lol:

Man I hope the second viewing helps me here.

15. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

Saw it a second time, in isolation I think it kinda works...

16. Destructor

Destructor Commodore Commodore

I laughed. I pretty much knew that, once Kahn was revealed as the villain, someone was going to yell KAHN!!! at some point. This movie was, in large part, a nostalgia piece, riffing on stuff we remember from the original series (miniskirts, Kirk banging alien chicks, Spock being logical, etc), but with not a lot of sense to it at times. It was ridiculous and unrealistic, but I admit I laughed out loud at the reference.

17. Destructor

Destructor Commodore Commodore

I LOVE IT!

18. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

:guffaw:

I wonder why nobody jumped on that scene when the clip had been released. Probably because no one in their wildest nightmares ever thought that they were going to let Spock yell Khaaaaan!

19. Kpnuts

Kpnuts Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Same. I thought it was great, particularly when followed up by that amazing shot of the Vengeance flying past the Enterprise.

20. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Oh God, I can't tell you how ridiculous I find his facial expression! He really doesn't have a face that's able to do this and still look cool, sorry. I just looks soooo fake, acted and put on. :lol: