Power Rangers

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by SG-17, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Maybe since Saban has been out of the game for a while, they're going for a literal adaption, as a quick and easy way to stall for time, before doing something more original with Goseiger.

Particularly if Goseiger proves harder to adapt, since Gosei angels would seem to be a less "down-to-earth" theme than Samurai.

2. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

I think Goseiger's theme might be easier to adapt into anything.

The footage could be a problem since the Gosei cards text is everywhere

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTBkhrlYXa8

It might require original cards and some clever editing.

The cockpit for GoseiGreat will probably be ditched

3. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

is that soppossed to be after samurai or before ?

4. Samurai8472

5. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

Jonathan Tzachor is a 'Sentai' nut, which is why PR as a franchise went to the 'one-and-done' season/character/theme format, and why PRS has thus far been a direct - or nearly direct- translation of Shurikenger. I personally don't have any problems with that philosophy, even though there are others who do.

6. timothy

@ samurai8472 in the last link that was frank'n awesome who was the ranger in all white exept down the middle he had a rainbow desighn from head to toe?
    I live in dallas,tx., would you happen to know where I would be able to get any one original sentai on dvd ?

7. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

He is known as BigOne - sort of the first "sixth ranger", except that JAKQ is initially only a team of four.

http://powerrangers.wikia.com/wiki/J.A.K.Q._Dengekitai

8. timothy

thanks which seires is he in ?

9. Samurai8472

It's in the link.

Also TVNihon has been subbing sentai for 7 years. That's all I'll say on that.

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I saw the 2-parter "Test of a Leader"/"Jayden's Challenge" today, though I saw it in reverse order, since I missed part 1 last week on Nickelodeon and had to catch it tonight on Nicktoons. (I could've sworn Zap2It said there was no new episode last week.) Anyway, interesting story, and it's really easy to tell that they're adapting the Japanese storyline beat for beat. Well, almost. I gather that in Shinkenger, Shinken Red is a nobleman and the other Rangers are his retainers or something, but here, the Rangers' duty to protect Jayden comes from their understanding that he's uniquely able to seal Xandred away. Still, the whole story feels very Japanese.

Action-wise, the 3-way fight in part 1 between Jayden, Deker, and the monster was a highlight. Mixed feelings about the Megazord action in part 2, though. The aerial action is a nice addition to the giant-robot-battle formula, handled very dynamically. But the designs of the Zords and the Megazord's various configurations this year are just ridiculous. Way too overcomplicated.

I did notice something interesting about the spin swords and the power discs. I realized that the sword/disc combination functions as a zoetrope -- the disc has a series of frames showing the silhouette of the associated Zord going through a motion cycle, and when it's placed on the sword and spun, the mirrored facets of the hilt reflect the frames as an animated motion. That's really very clever, and I assume they're sold as a toy in Japan. And it explains why they use "spin swords" and discs at all.

Some decent use of Bulk and Spike here, as they actually try to get in on the action. I liked the comic timing as they ran out of frame toward the monsters, then silence, then we saw them running back the other way -- twice. And Spike is getting marginally less annoying. Felix Ryan seems to have modified his vocal performance into something a little less creaking and kind of like Shaggy from Scooby-Doo.

11. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

So? They are also absolute crap at it as their record demonstrates. The newer groups are much better.

12. timothy

I realy liked the flying zord it was awesome another new toy to get. Now is spike is kim's son does he know that she was a mmp and that she was the pink mmp? If he
    does that makes his crush on pink samurai a little sick I think. and if he is kim's son why would he call bulk uncle? out of this two parter I loved part one better. the three way battle was just awesome. I am realy liking this new show. I am ready for the red ranger to get his battleizer. those episodes are usually awesome!!

13. Samurai8472

14. timothy

well it looks like another repeat this. argh!! :scream::scream::scream::scream::scream:

15. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

There are 52 weeks in a year. It's to be expected.

16. timothy

yeah but three weeks in a row at least the could do is play the first episode for those who missed it damn.

:scream::scream::scream:

17. Samurai8472

18. timothy

all rigth that was great loved the japaness debut. are we going to get a battleizer episode for the red ranger?

19. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm guessing that's one reason why that's all he'll say on that :)

The thing that utterly kills me about TVNihon is the blatant need to try to join the action by souping up their subtitles, taking up a lot of valuable space for needless graphics. Guys, you're not part of the production crew, stop pretending like you are. The efforts are appreciated but can be simpler and faster... like what the newer groups have been doing, which much smaller production times.

20. Samurai8472

Well what they do isn't technically legal so I just gave a hint at TVNihon and let him go from there.