Opinions on Chakotay & Seven

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Mach5, Jun 11, 2009.

?

Chakotay / Seven pairing gets:

1. Thumbs up!

21 vote(s)
    17.8%
  2. Thumbs down!

97 vote(s)
    82.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Da'an

Da'an Commander Red Shirt

Maybe only drones assimilated as children receive them. Children usually are more prone to emotional outbursts than adults.

2. Brit

Brit Captain Captain

Yes it does, when you realize that there have to be unique drones, just as there are unique bees, the ones that are potential Queens. The Borg wanted Seven back in Dark Frontier, the Queen also lied to Seven when she told her that she was the only drone that had been severed from the hive mind. We know Picard was severed and we know the drones from "Unity" were severed.

And you can talk all you want about how Janeway, B'Elanna, and Tuvok were not fully assimilated, the fact is that Picard was and it doesn't appear that Picard has an emotion dampener, especially considering the fit he threw in "First Contact" where he "broke his little ships." Considering the problems between the individual former drones in "Unity" it doesn't appear that they had emotion dampeners either.

There is one other interesting canon fact from "First Contact." Picard was meant to be the Queen's counterpart only he wouldn't give himself to the Borg and so they turned him into a regular drone. Seven fought freedom. Even after many weeks in the episode "Raven" she was trying to get back. She linked the three drones from the episode "Survival Instinct" and forced them back into the hive mind the first time she was severed from the Borg.

Seven didn't just have one unique piece of technology, she had several. There is one good reason for Seven to be different, when one questions where the Queens come from, perhaps she was one of those who was in reserve waiting for the "royal jelly" that would turn her into a Queen if the need arose.

Seven was unique, and as far as I know there would be only one reason for any drone to be unique. It is a theory, an extrapolation if you will, but it is one that makes sense to me.

Brit

3. Da'an

And she had both arms.

4. Brit

Brit Captain Captain

Maybe that's because the Borg Queen is expected to give hers up along with most of her natural body.

Actually Seven and the Queen were the only drones with a noticeable bust, although the Queen's was a part of her artifical body.

Brit

Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
  5. AuntKate

AuntKate Commodore Commodore

You make excellent points here, Brit. I don't know why I always assumed that all Borg were alike when they are obviously provided with different mechanical attachments that make them unique. We know from "Dark Frontier" that Seven is different; I always assumed that was because she was on Voyager, but it could have been her role in the collective, as well. There was some reason that she was selected to be the one to interact with Janeway in Scorpion. Again, I always assumed that she was selected because she was human, but that might have only been part of the equation.

A lot to think about here. Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
  6. teya

teya Vice Admiral Admiral

Picard and the drones from "Unity" were all assimilated before Icheb--which supports my theory that the technology was something relatively new, and not a part of Seven's first node.

Seven was assimilated as a child and so the Collective is all she knows. This is not unlike children conscripted into service as soldiers.

7. Brit

Brit Captain Captain

It's no secret that I'm writing a Borg Queen story so I've looked a lot of things up.

In the collective Seven was Seven of Nine Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix Zero One. There is this line from "Dark Frontier"

That would put Seven very close to the Queen, perhaps in her inner circle.

There is another interesting thing. According to the stardates the following things happened in this order, and they all happened in just about a month.

1. The Borg discovered Species 8472.

2. The Borg attempted to defeat the Federation as seen in "First Contact."

3. The events of the Voyager episode "Scorpion".

We saw three Queens in all, the "First Contact" Queen. The "Scorpion" to "Unimatrix Zero" Queen, and the "Endgame" Queen. Although we don't see the second Queen die, one wonders what could have happened to her because she failed three times: "Scorpion", "Dark Frontier" and "Unimatrix Zero".

There is nothing wrong with Teya's "new technology" but from my writing standpoint Seven as a protoqueen is a much more interesting story, and the theory is as viable as hers.

Brit

8. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The tertiary adjunct job used to need 5 drones, but now it needs 9?

Something is twice as large as it was 20 years earlier.

9. Brit

Brit Captain Captain

Maybe it was supposed to be nine and they had a temporary personal problem. Tertiary Adjunct is almost a computer term, you could have a Secondary Interpreter or a Primary Adjunct and even a Auxiliary Compiler.

Brit

10. Da'an

Or even an "Auxiliary Processor" like Three of Nine. ;)

11. Saquist

Saquist Commodore

I thought the whole Idea was down right GROSS.
    I'm glad Christie Gold broke them up....

Most men don't know what a good love story is like and the same was true here.

12. Guy Gardener

Christie Gold has problems. She writes love letters to Janeway twice as much as I write hate mail to Kim. It's very unsettling.

13. kimc

kimc Coffee Mod Admiral

Well according to the Queen Seven was "special" and left on the ship intentionally by the borg. Perhaps the dampener was there so that Seven would be easier to re-assimilate.

We did see in Unimatric Zero that different drones get differet pieces of equipment based on their use. For example B'Elanna got the voice modulator when Janeway and Tuvok didn't.

14. AuntKate

AuntKate Commodore Commodore

KimC, I forgot about that, but you're right. They did get different "tools" when they were assimilated. In fact, when I think about it, some drones had different arm attachments, eye pieces, etc.

Perhaps the dampener was put there when she was singled out to work with Janeway to keep her from "jumping ship," so to speak!

15. Guy Gardener

Quite right, none of them are a universal tool.

Although, Harry Kim is a...

16. Saquist

Saquist Commodore

wow....
    that was wrong.

17. Guy Gardener

Never tried to open a front door with a chisel have you?

Everyone needs a universal tool.

I wonder what sort of permission Christie needed to "breakup" the happy couple? was there a nod, or was it such a non point that no one even considered it worth the red tape? On the other side of the spectrum, I'm guessing that there must have been some serious lawyer screaming while Killing the Captain, but could some writer just decide with as little regard or equanimity to say break up Tom and B'Elanna?

What is sacred?

18. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Then wouldn't this follow the saying: If everyone is special, then nobody is?

I think the question we might be overlooking is: What was Seven's function in a unimatrix of Nine? For example: if B'elanna was given a vocal processor but Janeway & Tuvok weren't then it might serve a function when combined with Janeway & Tuvok's functions. Drones functioning collectively within the Collective. So in that case, what if Seven's perpressor isn't just to surpress "her" emotions but when combined within her unimatrix of nine, it works collectively to surpress all of them. Another example is: for every say 5 unimatrix', there is one medical drone to attend to them.

This would explain why the EMH didn't know it. The drone he studied was responsible for that function within his unimatrix. It would further explain the Doctor's comment in "Dark Frontier" about finding a Borg medical arm as a rare thing.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  19. Brit

Brit Captain Captain

When talking about the Borg the term would be specialized, not special. A tertiary (third) adjunct wouldn't be very high in the hierarchy of the unimatrix itself, but we are talking about the Queen's inner circle. Marikah "Survival Instinct" would actually have the higher ranking as Three of Nine Auxiliary Processor.

This again is interesting because Marikah, possibly the first Bajoran assimilated is also in the Queen's inner circle. It's also interesting that Magnus Hansen is apparently in the Queen's inner circle too. Incidentally the other two drones from “Survival Instinct” would be Two of Nine Primary Adjunct and Four of Nine Secondary Adjunct of Unimatrix Zero One. The Queen by the way would probably be something like One of Nine, Primary Processor of Unimatrix Zero One.

Now each drone would have a function, but Seven would also have a secondary function, that of worthy successor, and she would be available should the Borg have need of a new queen. That being said, it is also probable that there would be one or two more worthy successors.

Brit

20. teya

teya Vice Admiral Admiral

Except that the dampener is part of the cortical node.

Seven doesn't have the same cortical node she came aboard the ship with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.