TheGodBen Revisits Deep Space Nine

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by TheGodBen, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Ln X

Ln X Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think Kira became steadily more spiritual as the series progressed. I mean when she was fighting the Cardassians in the occupation was there were really any time for her to sit down, and pray, meditate, or engage in spiritual matters? I don't think so. She discovered her pagh, after the occupation, but I think faith in the Prophets came later.

2. The Dominion

The Dominion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

And it's funny how at the end of the series, Kira ends up reasoning against Sisko about weather following the Prophets is always the best decision.

3. Admiral Shran

Admiral Shran Admiral Admiral

And so the downward slum of mid Season One begins. Just keeping saying to yourself - it get much better, it gets much better. :p

I'd say these two are going to be the saving grace for a number of DS9's more lackluster episodes, not just in Season One.
    How do Changlings alter their mass or exist as things like fog, fire or light? These things are best left unexamined. ;)

4. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

Ew, Babel. This episode would have been more at home during TNG's first or second season. The dreadful starship/station disease plot has been done before ad infinitum by this point, and the virus had boring symptoms. There's a race against time, but we know everything will be alright by the end. Meh. :rolleyes:

I agree that Odo and Quark salvage the show somewhat. I also liked Sisko trying to keep Jake calm - there was a hint at emotion in that scene. Kira being a bit gung-ho in getting the scientist guy at the end was also fun.

5. MrBorg

MrBorg Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Quite liking your reviews so far.

S1 had a lot of boring episodes. Babel had me laughing half the time at the gibberish. :p

6. Admiral Shran

Woah, I wouldn't go that far. :p

7. The Dominion

It was entertaining enough to not be horrible.

8. JWD75

JWD75 Commander Red Shirt

Past Prologue is quite good. I especially like the first meeting between Garak and Bashir. Is it just me or does Garak break the fourth wall and look directly at the camera and give a sly smile? At any rate it's a great introduction to a great character.

I can't believe how bad Odo's make-up looks in A Man Alone. You would think that being a major character that his make-up would be well refined before he was ever put in front of a camera.

Babel is the generic disease plot that it seems to be a rite of passage for every sci fi television series. It's OK but far from great. Odo and Quark make it watchable.

9. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Same here. It's the only one that, in retrospect, really sets up a lot of what made the series interesting (as opposed to VOY's, which wasn't much followed through on, and ENT's, which didn't set up anything good - TOS was nonexistent and the less said about TNG's, the better).

Yall have fun with the rewatch but I'm ducking out till Battle Lines, which is the only good one-off of the first season, and then out again till Duet and In the Hands of the Prophets. As far as I'm concerned, there are only four episodes worth watching in S1.

Unless you count Move Along Home for weirdness factor. It's probably great to watch high.

10. Sykonee

Sykonee Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Kinda like watching paint dry, but getting high off the fumes.:p

11. The Dominion

And then you get a headache later.

12. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

"Encounter at Farpoint" is weak, but it sets up Q and themes that are active for the duration of the series, and introduces most of the character well enough.

As for the original series, both "Where No Man Goes Before" (the second pilot) or "The Corbamite Maneuver" (the first regular episode) are great at introducing the themes and ideas of the series. Outside of the big three and the guest stars, they're not much for introducing characters, but the original series was never that interested in those sort of stories.

13. Admiral Shran

Freddy is ready to watch Move Along Home....

[​IMG]

14. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

Awww, "Move Along Home" isn't so bad if you don't take it seriously...

...which is indeed the moral of the story, besides a chance to mess with Quark's head. ;)

When I saw it for the first time, I was little, and I'm still able to see the fun in it the way I did as a child. Perhaps you should watch that episode as a children's show rather than one aimed at adults. :)

15. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

Move Along Home and If Wishes Were Horses had me wondering if the DS9 staff had actually let their kids write for the show. ;)

I agree that both need you to be in a certain mood before watching, otherwise you'll be pulling your hair out rather quickly.

16. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Captive Pursuit (***½)

After two or three months exploring the Gamma Quadrant, the first alien from that part of the galaxy shows up. What, are they all hiding, or something? Tosk can make himself invisible, I suppose. :vulcan: Anyway, Tosk shows up and he's all like "I am Tosk", which is strangely endearing. He's like a cross between a talking crocodile and a puppy, which is important as you've got to like Tosk if the episode is to work, and I like Tosk. He's pretty good as far as aliens go, he seems genuinely different and he's confused by all the things that we find normal, such as sleep and bars.

But Tosk isn't a normal alien, he's a Tosk, the prey in the most dangerous game of all; Catch the Tosk. Now here's a sci-fi concept that I don't remember seeing on TNG, an alien whose sole purpose for existing is to be chased and killed. As someone that's opposed to blood sports and finds them distasteful in the extreme, the idea of hunting and killing a sentient being for fun goes against everything I believe. Which is why Tosk is so interesting as he doesn't see it that way, all he wants is to be a good Tosk and to have the tale of his hunt be remembered for generations. It's tragic, but that's the order of things. All that can be done for Tosk is to free him and let the hunt continue as that's the only life he understands.

The episode presents an interesting issue and doesn't get preachy with it, it just tells the story in a way that's true to the characters. O'Brien and Tosk work well together, and this is the earliest relationship I remember from watching the show as a child. But the most memorable moment of the episode for me was from a different relationship, the one between O'Brien and Bashir. As Bashir offers his help during a staff meeting, O'Brien rudely cuts him off to show his distaste at the good doctor. Silly O'Brien, you know you love him really.

Form of... a Painting: 5

17. Distorted Humor

Distorted Humor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I like Babel, perhaps it all the actors saying gibberish with out falling on the floor laughing,...

18. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

As a kid, though, I found "Move Along Home" fun and easy to follow (and with lots of bright and interesting things to look at). The plot actually had a structure and made sense whether you happen to agree with it or not. I did not find "If Wishes Were Horses" so engaging, and still don't...though I find it rather funny now that I'm older how the shallow Dax we see Bashir hallucinate seems SO much like post-"Blood Oath" Dax in her behavior... :rolleyes: ;)

19. Distorted Humor

Distorted Humor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You are not the only one :) I agree 100%

20. Admiral Shran

Don't they later claim that the Gamma Quadrant entrance to the Wormhole is in a relatively uninhabited area of space? I knew it's later revealed that it is outside Dominion territory.

The TNG-lite rule gets avoided again. :)

I agree that Captive Pursuit is a pretty solid standalone episode. The Tosk-O'Brien dynamic really works and I love how O'Brien realizes that it actually is okay for him not to dogmatically follow the rules of the Federation all the time.

He's just repressing it. :p