NBC cancels Law & Order

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, May 13, 2010.

1. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Again, the record is for longest-running prime time drama on American network television. Some writers just don't bother writing all that out and use an imprecise shorthand.

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Very few shows labeled "sitcom" are truly funny these days.

3. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm just waiting for Comcast to come in and fire half these brain dead NBC execs, especially Zucker. GE clearly is not jumping in to clean NBC's house, hopefully Comcast will when the 51% deal is finalized.

How do you not even let L&O have even a partial 21st season? If I was running NBC i would be proud for people to say the longest running prime-time drama is NBC's Law and Order.

4. John Picard

John Picard Vice Admiral Admiral

That's what was said when M*A*S*H, Cheers, and The Cosby Show went off the air.

5. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

Network
    B
    eyond
    C
    omprehension

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nutbars
    Bullshitting
    Constantly

7. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I KNEW that show was going to be cancelled so I never watched it. You get all involved with the characters and the stories and then they yank it right out from under you. Yay me stayin' ahead of the curve!

8. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh. Okay. I missed the distinction.

9. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Negative
    Brain
    Capacity

10. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Is this 100% official? Last year I remember it being said L&O was canceled, but it ended up coming back.

11. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

It's official: NBC has cancelled Law & Order, renewed Law & Order: SVU, and ordered Law & Order: Los Angeles to series.

Here's NBC's press release:

12. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

and it had been a decent development season for NBC so far, so close to not doing anything stupid.

Have to wonder what they will do if LOLA isnt a hit.

13. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

Being a fan of Matt Dillon? I hope he pulls out his six-shooter and kills L/O once and for all...

And the reason I think GUNSMOKE is still the longest running show even if L/O gets its record breaking year? The cast. James Arness was at the start, and at the end, and was THE star the entire way.

Rob

14. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Oh well. Thanks for 20 great years. *raises glass*

dunk-dunk.

15. MichaelDornFan

MichaelDornFan Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I've resisted for quite a while now, but...

*officially jumps on the anti-NBC bandwagon*

16. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

They killed Trial by Jury and Conviction pretty quickly, I suspect they'll shitcan Los Angeles in a heartbeat if it doesn't deliver the demos they want. Both of the aforementioned shows lasted 13 episodes, so that's what you can probably expect from Los Angeles if it isn't an instant hit.

17. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

So, what you're saying is... there'll still be a cop show or two on tv this fall! Thank goodness! I was about to fall into a deep, dark pit of despair... :p

18. KB24

KB24 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This is pathetic. I can't believe NBC has no time slot that they couldn't put the original for 13 eps. Saturday at 10 pm for goodness sake! Imagine what the ratings of a highly publicized record breaking final show would be! A two hour ethereal retrospective or such with all living cast returning and a nod to the late stars! Way to take a historic series out with a whimper people!

'LOLA' will die after 8 eps because I suspect the 5 million remaining LO fans will boycott now out of spite for this cancellation. I do hope now Wolf can perhaps find something else on TNT or elsewhere. Even if that may technically lose any historical records, I'd just like to see a proper conclusion or such to prove NBC wrong.

SVU has been subpar in recent years. They should have just combined shows for one year and then let LO go out properly. This is stupid.

19. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

The original L&O has so many excellent actors in it that I hope some of its characters can be moved to other L&O shows. CI has been in need of a DA for some time now; why not move Cutter there (Cutter is, IMHO, the best ADA they've had in years), and Rubirosa to SVU? Hell, why not move Lupo and Bernard to CI as well, and make it a two-pairs-of-cops show like it used to be?

20. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

It's also been on for 20 years. This isn't a show that's being chopped off in it's hey-day, it isn't a brand new series that's not being given a chance, never mind the fact that it has (to my best recollection) spawned five (FIVE!!!!) spin-off series since it's inception.

They made a business decision. While it will be hard to think of TV without Law and Order, it's really not that big a deal.