NBC cancels Law & Order

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, May 13, 2010.

1. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

Okay, that right there shows that they have no idea how to run a network. Unbelievable. :rolleyes:

2. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

it has to be the US record, as The Bill lasted 27 years, another primetime cop show recently axed.

Heck there is a German Cop show that started in 1978 (making it 32) and that as far as I know is still on the air, dwarfing both The Bill & L&O in the cop show genre.

Its also had more than a few spin-offs (including one that crossed over with the before mentioned The Bill)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SOKO_5113

Seems to be some confusion, I think its true, but its not 100% yet, if true this is a massive screw up by NBC

3. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Hi NBC.

Thank you for becoming the new Fox! Fox is really grateful!

L&O Viewers

4. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why is the press trying to make this out to be some kind of Conan thing?

"Team Dick"? Really? :lol:

5. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

So... cancel a show that gets a decent amount of viewers for a show in its 20th year... and greenlight a spinoff set in a different city that might get cancelled in a few episodes. Makes sense! :techman:

6. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

Well, it may have something to do with backing out of an agreement (only to suggest something completely unreasonable in exchange).

7. Sheep

Sheep Vice Admiral Admiral

You guys act like you know what's better for NBC than NBC does.

If they don't cancel a proven show that has a small but very loyal audience, where are they going to put tomorrow's hits like The Marriage Ref (produced by comedy legend Jerry Seinfeld(TM)) and a newly retooled Jay Leno Show since everyone LOVES him as the ratings clearly indicate?

8. Teelie

Teelie Vice Admiral Admiral

They began their transition into Fox when they did this to Conan as far as I'm concerned.

9. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

And let's face it - what's Los Angeles going to bring that New York doesn't? Guess there's no Hudson river for bodies to be found in.

Everyone L&O spin off has had something to differntiate it. Even setting it London you've got a different legal system to deal with (no death penalty to barter with) but L&0:LA by like the CSI spin offs - same shit different city & cast.

10. MichaelDornFan

MichaelDornFan Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Awful news. The change to Monday has not worked for well L&O, but its Friday numbers were pretty impressive given the bad night and bad network.

They should hold off on Los Angeles or any other spin-off until SVU ends.

11. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Didn't The Simpsons already do this?

12. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

NBC

No
    Business
    Commonsense

13. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Simpsons is a sitcom, and therefore can not break the record for longest running drama.

14. spinnerlys

spinnerlys Commander Red Shirt

There is also Tatort with currently 770 episodes since 1970.

But it is made by a variety of regional networks, so it may not count as a series.

15. KB24

KB24 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I agree that they can't possibly be thinking of canceling with being so close to history. What defines a 'season'? We're not asking for 26 eps of drivel. If they only need 7 episodes than by gosh make it a mid season replacement 7 episode cross over storyline with one of the spin offs. What else does NBC have going for it anyway? The entire network could go black one night and it would take three days for the country to notice.

Although it would be amazing if Dick Wolf did get a deal on another network. I dare say that's what NBC is playing at, that a bidding war would jack up all the shows. NBC or Dick Wolf perhaps doesn't have the production money either is talking about. After all, Criminal Intent is already part and parcel with USA Network, isn't it? But that's still NBC universal still. I don't think the flagship channel would risk going to TNT, because that would make it the longest running prime time drama, but not the longest network prime time drama.

Geez, do 12 eps of the original and have those segway into the LA show. Why cancel one and start the other cold? NBC did all this dicking to Homicide years ago, given it a 4 episode second season. Twits.

Who is running NBC really. Is anyone? Is it a monkey? Heroes is in the toilet, Journeyman was cut, Crusoe was horrible. Didn't they do the new Bionic Woman and Knight Rider redos? Good God. They should go black. They don't have any soaps left either do they?

16. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Nothing
    But
    Crap

Doesn't the show have to be funny to be considered a sitcom. :p

17. Daneel

Daneel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hey, we were right about Star Trek, weren't we? ;)

18. KB24

KB24 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^ and isn't the customer always right? NBC should listen to its audience. If there's no Law and Order flagship, what are they going to put in its place? 'Law and Order: Classic,The Jerry Orbach Years'? That would be the most ironic thing, cancel it with a season away only to show reruns in the slot for half a season. They repeat SVU three times a week don't they?

19. JRS

JRS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Sad news:( Its a good show:)
    Its a bity, really:( This show is very popular, not just in the USA..but also here on Europe:):cool:

But I guess all good things must come to an end..

[​IMG]

20. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

seems confusing, but at 40 years, it just goes to prove my point that NBC should not be making claims about L&O being the longest running cop drama, yet alone longest running drama, when I could name 2 cop shows that have run longer.