Do fans want the prime timeline back?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Beyerstein, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Kinda like most of the other movies.

2. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

That's because the age of "TV" is more or less over.

Look at this year's Best Drama Emmy nods:
    One is already streaming exclusive.

The others are:
    Two are on premium channels.
    Public broadcasting which is essentially premium paid for by taxes and donations.
    And a basic cable channel.

All of those translate easily (and naturally) into streaming content. It's the wave of the future, and it's only a matter of time before the floodgates open. When they do, it's a whole new ballgame.

Oh, and yes to Klingon 300 please.

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I've been thinking about this and I can get behind it as long as it's J.J. Abrams Klingons that are featured. I don't think I can do anymore Klingons that look like rejects from heavy-metal hair bands.

4. USS Kongo

USS Kongo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Agreed. The Next Gen/DS9 Klingons got on my nerves after a while.

5. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

"We are Fek'lhr's Fangs, Qo'noS!! Are you ready to rock???!!!!!"

6. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

:lol:

7. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I have the title for the Klingon "300":

Warrior Women at the River of Blood.

(Bonus points if you get the reference.)

8. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

The more I think about it, the more I like this idea. We're due for another time travel film, but howabout, instead of traveling back to Earth's past, we travel back to the Kronos's past for a change?

Something like:

The conflict is going badly, so some Marcus cohorts send a Red Matter bomb to blow up Kronos. Enterprise tries to stop the injustice, but they fail and the still bomb detonates inside Klingon solar system and Enterprise gets trapped in the vortex and sent back 1000 years.

Enterprise is damaged but not too badly, however the dilithium sustained enough damage that only slower warps are possible. Spock theorizes that it may be possible to return to their time by slingshoting around the sun at maximum warp. Of course, they don't have near enough power to even think of trying.

Then Carol mentions a terraforming project she proposed when she studying at Cambridge. It was ridiculed for being romantic and idealistic, but mostly people thought it impractical because the amount of energy required for something like that was immeasurable.

However, one of the best candidates she found in her research was the mined ore Klingons extracted from Praxis. In it's natural state, it was still one of the most uncommon elements in the universe, however it was the way the Klingons artificially refined it into an isotope that made it so powerful (and unstable).

The refining process was still secret, however, the reason Klingons came to know of it in the first place was because bits of Praxis fell to the planet, and the isotope formed over eons of decay into a ruby-like rock the women of this era wore as gaudy jewelery.

So Kirk decides to go find some. While they're there, they discover the two main House factions are in the middle of a blood feud. But there is a third party advocating for peace and trying to play mediator.

Spock suggests that, if they help the third faction, they might alter Klingon way of thinking enough to change their bloody path over the next millenia to the point where there might not be a war.

The PD gets thrown around and Bones argues they have no business telling another culture its way of life is wrong. Spock points out, that the bomb likely destroyed Kronos much like the drill did Vulcan. If they were to leave things as is, they were likely to go back to find it gone. And since Klingons are even more indigenously clustered than Vulcans, that they may be even fewer of them left. If they alter Klingon philosophy enough to ripply through the centuries to stop the war would ultimately meant the preservation of the species.

So after some Klingon 300 battles, bat'leth twirling, and other bloody stuff, they get their hands on one of the Praxis rocks and are about to go home when Kirk ask Spock why he doesn't adjust their calculations and take them back to when Nero first attacked the Narada.

Spock says, saving the Klingons was an imminent problem they were indirectly responsible for. However, the new time line has altered the course of trillions throughout the galaxy. The effect of reverting the timeline, or even just saving Vulcan, could have a potentially catastrophic effect on an unimaginable number of lives. The old course of events had its time, it was best they forget about it and accept their new fate.

9. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Please no. No more time travel. :(

10. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

All the Red Matter is gone, and in the Prime verse it took the Vulcan Science Institute years to manufacture what we see in the film, giving it all to Spock when they realised it could stop Hobus. And they were the only ones that could make it.

So that stuff is gone for good.

11. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

I agree with Belz for a change. :p

12. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I could honestly do without time travel being in the Trekverse ever again at this point.

13. Greg Cox

Um, so this would not be a good time to plug my new Trek time-travel novel, No Time Like the Past, coming out in February? :)

14. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

^You should call it "No Time Like the Past, Again".

15. Greg Cox

Back to the Past!

(With apologies to Michael J. Fox.)

16. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah... it was overused before Voyager and Enterprise got their hands on it. That horse is dead. I swear, it's easier to go back in time 200 years than it is to warp from point a to point b.

17. Greg Cox

On the other hand, just to play chrononaut's advocate, time-travel has a pretty good track record when it comes to generating quality episodes and movies. Many of the most popular Trek stories are time-travel stories: City on the Edge of Forever, Tomorrow is Yesterday, All Our Yesterdays, Assignment: Earth, Yesterday's Enterprise, Little Green Men, Trials and Tribble-ations, Future's End, Timeless, The Voyage Home, First Contact, etc.

And book-wise, you have Yesterday's Son, Imzadi, and other classic Trek novels.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  18. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

*eyetwitch* Maybe :lol:

19. oddsigve

oddsigve Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I for one one would love to see something after Voyager and if I may be so bold I would like to utter a suggestion.

It would be a lot of fun watching something with the Voth and Humans(for some reason when i say "humans" i think of Quark :)). Maybe they could take the ST universe to the next level considering their technology and common ancestry with us. Since we now have been introduced to all the quadrants and their most important players it would be intriguing with some galaxy on galaxy action. I know there are many things to elaborate on within our galaxy, but I`m really really tired of the alpha/beta quadrants only. When watching DS9(for the second time) I found that there was way to little exploration of the gamma quadrant. Yes, we all know that DS9 was kind of bound to the emissary arch, but...

20. oddsigve

oddsigve Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I for one one would love to see something after Voyager and if I may be so bold I would like to utter a suggestion.

It would be a lot of fun watching something with the Voth and Humans(for some reason when i say "humans" i think of Quark :)). Maybe they could take the ST universe to the next level considering their technology and common ancestry with us. Since we now have been introduced to all the quadrants and their most important players it would be intriguing with some galaxy on galaxy action. I know there are many things to elaborate on within our galaxy, but I`m really really tired of the alpha/beta quadrants only. When watching DS9(for the second time) I found that there was way to little exploration of the gamma quadrant. Yes, we all know that DS9 was kind of bound to the emissary arch, but...