Study Sees Continued Decline in Overall Credibility of News Media

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by marillion, Aug 23, 2012.

1. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

On edit: I should have said "Perception of Credibility" in the title.. Sorry...

Interesting study by the Pew Center...

Study Link

Not surprisingly, the partly lines are pretty well defined with more Republicans favoring Fox News and dismissing MSNBC along with the reverse being true for Democrats.

I do find it a bit surprising that NPR, long held to be a bastion of liberalism in the view of Republicans, had a higher favorability among them. Good radio is good radio, I guess (I'm biased, having worked for an NPR affiliate as news director).

Anyway, I just thought I'd throw it out there.

2. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Perception or not I think the truth is there.

The difference, at least 'A' difference, as I see it is that Fox News whether it be their straight news portions but especially their commentary shows(O'Reilly, Hannity etc) make no hidden notice of giving a conservative angle. It's blatantly clear in the commentary shows and only there in some minor instance for straight up news reporting. Most have a hard time discerning this separation of news vs commentary portions on Fox.

The rest of the media from the alphabet's down to PBS like to bill themselves as being middle of the road on all points and the last 10 years they clearly are not. The last 5-6 years especially. When there are reports of editor offices donating 80% plus to Democrat causes and trying to pass off phony documents as real like Dan Rather did the bias is clear. When swarms of reporters stalk out every facet of Sarah Palin's life but sweep Biden under the rug it's very clear where these guys interests lie. Biden makes Palin looking fucking brilliant and that includes silly comments like "seeing Russia from her house". Man has a foot in mouth gaffe almost monthly but weekly on a campaign trail.

But really in a nation with so many news options PBS as a news outlet is obsolete. I believe in PBS programming from NOVA, their documentaries on through SStreet but funding for them as a news outlet is long since past.

3. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

And I think that's the point coming across in the study. ALL of us, whether we're conservatives, liberal or firmly in the middle of the road, recognize that news, by and large, is not in the news business any more.. They are in the business business... I LOVED my time in public radio as I had the freedom to do just about anything I wanted with our newscasts with long, in depth human interest stories mixed into the "rip and read" stuff off the wire. I wasn't beholden to corporate sponsors... It just sucked that I had to deliver pizzas to make ends meet at the same time.

I eventually got out of the news entirely in 2000 because I was having to assign reporters and photogs to cover "news" stories tied into sponsors...

My intent here, by the way, is not to create an automatic gainsaying of "Fox sucks vs. MSNBC sucks."... I just found it interesting that all of us, across the board have less and less faith in our time honored news media outlets.

4. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Two problems with news media:

1) ratings and marketing influence the program
    2) the involved allow their own political opinion to influence the program

5. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

That's why, for the longest time, I preferred to get my news from "The Daily Show" and "The Colbert Report." They have no problem insulting either political party or calling bullshit on other news sources when they're clearly reporting things with bias.

6. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^^ Me too RoJo. Frankly I'm sick of all media, they're all in someone's pockets so it's very rare to believe much of what they say. I still watch the evening news, but mainly for the weather, sports, and breaking news. It's hard to have an agenda on 'water main break on Main street'. I'm eschewing all political coverage this year. It's all biased, agenda driven and personal attacks.

7. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

The media is definitely shitty, specifically the television media. FOX News is obviously the worst followed by MSNBC. CNN is ball-less, worried that they might offend one side or the other, and the network stations haven't broken anything interesting in years. At this point, most breaking news comes from the internet and I imagine it'll remain that way for a while.

8. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Those are both fun shows but I would never use them as my main news sources. That will do nothing but give you a very cynical, very distorted view of reality.

9. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I wasn't intentionally using them as my main news source. I just wasn't really paying attention to any other news sources.

10. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Bernard Goldberg (I think) had an interesting idea a few years ago. Arguing that there is really no such thing as "lack of bias" he suggested that it would actually be preferable for news organizations to acknowledge their biases in the interests of full disclosure, so that the viewer/reader was armed with that information as well.

In a way that would harken back to the old days when newspapers were often affiliated with a political party and even had the the party's name in theirs (ex: the Rochester Democrat & Chronicle; the Arizona Republican). People knew where the papers (allegedly) stood for.

11. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

The honesty is refreshing, isn it?

All media has a bias. If they say don't, they're lying. It's nice to see people finally catching on.

12. Magellan

Magellan Commander Red Shirt

Exactly true. So many people get bent out of shape because Fox news is conservative but really so what? ALL news whether it is intentional or not is going to have a bias. Some liberal, some conservative and some just plain stupid and the audience will pick their preference.

I suppose ideally there would be one "perfect" source we all could go to but if 100 people see the same event they see 100 different things. It's good not to trust the news too much.

13. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Not true.. they give you a comedic way of looking at news but when you go past the jokes and antics you realize that what they are making fun of is actually some huge things that no one dares to say openly because it would either cost them voters or make themselves look bad.

They also equal offenders too.. it's just that the Republicans offer more to work with ;)

The reason why so many dislike Fox News is that they are more or less openly biased. They live in a very black and white world and when you apply a broad enough time frame you see that they are contradicting themselves repeatedly depending on who is currently in control in Washington. The Dems do one thing and Fox erupts in outrage but when the Reps do the same 4 years later it's barely mentioned or twisted so much that it appears ok.

I don't know much about MSNBC and their mode but given that i hear less criticism in the same vein i suppose they have other flaws.

14. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

True... but at least you won't have to suffer through all the fluff pieces on the evening news.

15. Balrog

Balrog Commodore Commodore

You make a good point here. Either left or right leaning, it's mostly fluff. What I find lacking in most news programming is a lack of substance.

16. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Pretty much. The Big 3 are too busy sucking up to TPTB to be credible at all as independent new organizations. They have buried more shit in an attempt to appear "impartial" and "balanced" that they have lost sight of their purpose.

And CNN is just frankly fluff.

17. Robert Maxwell

I have to wonder why anyone bothers with TV news at all. Almost all of it is a complete joke.

18. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I find PBS NewsHour still maintains a pretty high standard with longer-form pieces and extended interviews. BBC World News America is also excellent. I'm sure there some will claim they are biased but I think it would be pretty hard to demonstrate.

I have read some who say that the "Golden Age" of conscientiously-neutral TV news may have been more an aberration due to the scarcity of bandwith, and now that's loosened up journalism is going back to its "natural state" of competing partisan outlets.

Justin

19. Robert Maxwell

Yeah, those are good choices if you're going to get information from TV. I try to stick with NPR and various news sites (not just American ones, either.)

20. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A big part of the problem today is that most modern 'journalists' have little, if any, experience or education in anything but journalism. So they don't really understand what they're covering. As a result, they can't provide depth to anything.