DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Hal and Bruce made up shortly after Hal's return, though. It was when Hal temporarirly loaned Bruce the ring to help him get over his demons. Bruce decided he wasn't ready, though. Granted, reboot could have erased that. Still doesn't explain why the heck Hal is a Green Lantern right now.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really don't know why Johns is writing these characters the way he is in this book...when he hasn't in the past. I know he is relatively new to Batman, it makes me slightly concerned for Batman: Earth One. Being in a new timeline, doesn't mean you have to change the characters attitudes and how they act to distinguish this, which to me seems to be the case.

3. OdoWanKenobi

The weirdest thing for me is the lack of consistency. The Hal in Justice League is a completely different character than the Hal in Green Lantern. Same with Aquaman. Yet they're all being written by the same person. What gives?

4. Admiral_Young

Agreed. I'm not sure how to explain it lol.

5. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

6. Admiral_Young

Jim Lee has that much influence on Geoff John's writing? I never got the impression that Lee likes ass hole characters. Or is that Miller's influence from his experience working on All Star Batman and Robin: The Boy Wonder somehow surfacing? LOL

7. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

I think he may be co-plotting the book.

8. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

Is it possible the Justice League time-jump was a lot less than five years? They might be gradually working their way up to the five year mark. It would explain some of the character discrepancies.

9. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

I didn't think Batman was an ass in Justice League - I think he was frustrated, trying to keep property damage down (as he says). This is the Batman that thought about building Brother Eye, not the one who actually went ahead and did it, if that makes sense.

10. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Batman talks about Justice League International which just formed in "present" day, so it can't be too far behind.

11. Admiral_Young

12. Derishton

It might predate the first arc of JLI, which would explain the apparent contradiction between the two titles.

13. Admiral_Young

All we know is that issue seven was the first present day issue of Justice League. Bruce's comment to Trevor about asking....errr...demanding that the UN disban JLI was a little harsh and I thought a forced attempt at bad comedy. I dropped JLI but didn't the first issue establish that Batman infiltrated the team in the first place to kind of "guide" them as well as his main objective to find out what the UN's agenda was with starting a team? Like I said I dropped the book after the second issue so I don't know what happened since.

14. Derishton

I dropped it after the third, but it looked pretty clear that the situation was as you suggest. This new information, that Bruce wanted the JLI as a kind of distraction meant only for publicity, seems to directly contradict that. The onyl way I can reconcile the two is to suggest that Justice League 7 takes place before JLI 1, and that Batman changes his mind after seeing the team in action (except that here he says he has zero respect for the team after seeing them in action).

Further, much of Batman's trust in Booster Gold in JLI seems rooted in their relationship in the cancelled Booster Gold series, but the history of their relationship is utterly muddy at the moment; if none of the original JLI happened, then the Batman of Justice League would seem like the more obvious one.

15. Admiral_Young

As discussed above, the contradictions are very much irritating. You'd think that since Lee and Johns are writing the flag ship title of the New 52 that they would coordinate and discuss these issues with their fellow writers. I know it isn't really a big deal, but these little nuances do irritate me from time to time. I also agree about Bruce and Michael's dynamic being carried over from the ongoing and previous stuff. Bruce's encouragement of Michael and his guidance of Booster taking leadership of the team and not taking crap from the others was one of the interesting aspects of the book.

16. OdoWanKenobi

I think it's pretty much confirmed that much or all of the original JLI never happened, since Guy Gardner and Martian Manhunter had apparently never met before when he showed up in GLC.

17. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i'm still trying to wrap my head around four different Robins being squeezed into a five year time span.

18. OdoWanKenobi

^Five if you count Stephanie. But they're explaining that by saying that Batman has actually been active much longer than that. He was just thought of as a myth. I mean, there's absolutely no other way to even explain Damian's existence.

19. Admiral_Young

I believe that it has been stated by DiDio and Lee at various times that yeah as OdoWan pointed out, Batman has been the hero active the longest, having been operating as a myth and "off the radar". This was pretty much confirmed during his first meeting with Hal in Justice League #1 when Hal incredulously states something like "I thought you were just a myth!". I believe that Dick and Tim have been deaged as well in the new time line to explain the Five Robins thingy. Damian is ten years old, his conception (Son of the Demon which I believe has been made canon again) would have to be during Batman's early years...like year two or three even and way prior to the "five years ago" start of the new timeline.

20. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

That or Dick being a kid or 12 as Robin.
    The "myth" angle and operating longer has to come into play.