Fitness Checkin

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by kimc, Jan 16, 2009.

1. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I'll have to look that one up. I think my wife needs a more intensive kind of yoga. She doesn't like to sweat (lol) so she needs something like yoga to atl east keep her going.

2. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

Man, I tell ya, controlling your food intake during the holiday season is no easy feat (even when you have health reasons to have to do it). Hopefully, I'll keep my weight within a stable range, which should also be beneficial for my cholesterol and blood glucose levels.

3. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I, on the other hand, have been sick for a week, and therefore have barely been eating at all. It's really annoying. I've lost some solid muscle mass because of it.

4. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

If she doesn't like to sweat then Vinyassa Yoga is NOT for her. It is an intense workout -- everyone gets sweaty!

5. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I actually found yoga workouts available on Netflix instant streaming. I might try one of them out sometime.

Meanwhile, I'm still trying to get over being sick. I worked out two days ago (the first time in 12 days), and it went very poorly.

6. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I've seen her sweat, I know she does!! :lol: She will give it a try.

RAMA

7. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Wow, I've really been in the zone with my workouts lately...not so much in weight lifted, just in intensity, commitment, and in overall conditioning. My diet has been much better since the World Series ended!

RAMA

8. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Finally starting to get back to where I was before I got sick. Man, I was really weak there for a while. I pretty much spent 4 straight days not eating because my throat hurt too much, so I lost a lot of muscle.

9. Gryffindorian

My exercise level is about the same as far as cardio (elliptical machine), push ups, light weights. Diet is especially hard with all the goodies and holiday treats that put me in a festive mood, but I'm trying to eat more healthy and not forgetting to include more fruits and veggies.

10. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

An acquaintance of mine from college got a hold of me on facebook today. Turns out we're living really close to each other now. He challenged me to a deadlift competition. :lol:

11. Gryffindorian

Awesome. Go for it. ;)

12. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Tried throwing deadlifts back into my routine tonight. It did not go well. My hamstrings have gotten weak. I kept losing balance.

13. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I found two Vinyasa Flow workouts on dvd...we'll see how it goes.

14. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I'm kind of preparing for a rough few weeks. As much as I want to be healthy and working out hard, I know that I will be consuming a lot of alcohol. Tonight is my friend's birthday. Then I'll be going out sometime during the week with my friends who are home for the holidays. Next Sunday I'm going to a Blackhawk's game. Then the following week is New Years.

I might just say screw it until after that.

15. Gryffindorian

I haven't had beer or liquor in ages, but I realize beer has lots of calories, too, but you have intense workouts, Rojo, and more muscle mass. I have trouble enough staying away from sweets during the holidays.

16. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've started running again. Did my first run two mondays ago, and felt like crap. However, since I picked finals week to start running, that was my first and last run of the week. This week, I'm been more consistant and it's gone much better. I'm feeling stronger each day, and it's incredible how fast my lungs got back into shape.

17. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I just put together a new routine for myself to start in the new year. I need to get back in the habit of writing things down and actually tracking my progress. 2010 is the year shit gets real.

18. thestrangequark

I hope you enjoy it. If you do, I'd recommend Yoga to the People's free podcasts. I really enjoyed it, but I've not been able to work out for a month now, I'm just in too much pain. My joints, my muscles, and my general exhaustion have kept me from getting any exercise at all. I still walk home over the bridge -- and get an average of 8 miles walking in a day, but I just can't do any more.

I'm really anxious to get back to exercising, but I'll have to see what the doctor's tests say and go from there.

19. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

What should one prepare for when starting yoga? Am I going to be sore all over the next day? Should I get a mat? How often would you do it?

I really do want to try it out.

20. thestrangequark

You will need a mat for sure, and as to soreness, that depends on a lot of things: how fit and flexible you are, how often you work and stretch the muscles that are used in the yoga practice you choose, and the level of yoga you practice. If you choose a more strenuous yoga like Vinyassa Flow you may be sore the following day -- especially your shoulders from holding downward dog. Yoga is very individual: you get out of it what you put into it. You're pretty fit so you could choose a challenging class. You may not be able to achieve third tier poses (I've been practicing yoga for years and simply lack the confidence and balance needed to stand on my head), but they're not necessary for a successful workout.
    Before I got sick I did a sun salutation of about 15-20 minutes every morning, and an hour long class 1 to 2 times a week.