Commader Harkin- Crusty Old Dean?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Lon Suder, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Lon Suder

Lon Suder Ensign

So I'm watching Pathfinder today and Commander Harkins IS kind of a dick. What is wrong with trying Reg's microwormhole idea? Hell, whats the matter with trying the GIANT wormhole idea? Their job is to try and contact Voyager, NOT TRYING just because you dont think it's a good idea seems pretty stupid.

So like most characters liike this, he's written to be a jerk and unreasonable just so the Hero can be redeemed in the end.

2. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Harkins probably knew that Barclay had a history as a holo-addicted slacker and just didn't like him.

3. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What'd he do besides jump his case for speaking out of turn in front of the Admiral and apprehending him when he disobeyed orders and resisting arrest? It seemed to me he was rather patient with Barclay considering his...eccentric nature.

4. Lon Suder

Lon Suder Ensign

He told him his wormhole plan was done and that he was NOT TO SPEAk to the admiral about his idea. You know, the idea that lead to communication with Voyager.

Harkin was typical middle management, didn't want his ego burst or to have a subordinate show him up.

5. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Harkins had made his decision, and as far as he was concerned, the matter was closed.

I once had a work related temporary opportunity (computer work in another city) that I wanted to pursue, but my supervisor vetoed it. But it was important to me to do this other position, so I went to his boss, and the request was granted. A week later, I was back at the old job. But a district position was later created for a permanent computer job, with requirements apparently tailored to my skills, so I posted for that and got it.

6. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually, I thought Harkin was trying to protect Admiral Paris. Harkin probably thought Barclay was acting like a medium who pretended he could speak to the dead and was offering to get in touch with the admiral's son... for a price.