Which versions of aliens do you imagine?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by JD, Nov 23, 2008.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

This question mainly goes out to the writers, but other readers should feel free to answer too. I've been wondering for quite a while now, which versions of the aliens the writers or readers have in mind when they write or read stuff involving aliens like the Tellerites or the Andorians, who have gone through numerous real universe make up changes? Personally I usually tend to go with which ever version I like best, which is usually the newest and most realistic one. For example the Enterprise versions of the Andorians and Tellerites, and of course if there is an in universe reason for the different look, like with the Klingons then I just go with whichever version matches up to that time period or place.

2. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

I tend to imagine Westmore's ENT-style Andorians and Tellarites no matter what era the story's set in.

I usually imagine TOS-style Klingons.

When I can, I try to imagine TOS-style Romulans. Sometimes I can't if the character is specifically described as having TNG-style forehead ridges, though.

I tend to imagine ST:FC-style Borg -- except that now Greater Than the Sum has established that TNG-style Borg were actually androgynous drones grown by the Collective, so now I see no reason to mentally retcon them if they're Borg from the 2360s or earlier.

I tend to imagine DS9-style Trill and to pretend that the other style doesn't exist.

I try to pretend that Vulcan females don't all have Moe Howard haircuts.

3. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

Romulans I tend to imagine TNG/DS9 style.

Klingons: As appropriate for the time period and the book.

Andorians, Tellarites, and Tholians: ENT, definitely.

Cardassians: A mix of all appearances, actually. I try to forget those awful brown uniforms, though--but I kind of like the idea of there being a diversity of ethnic groups.

Borg: I tend to imagine a combination of FC and TNG features...it's a little hard to explain, except for looking at the way Locutus was portrayed in FC.

Trill: Definitely DS9.

4. casey

casey Commander Red Shirt

I am pretty much with everyone else on this: Klingons depend on time period, Trill are DS9, and Andorians and Tellarites are ENT.

And to go past aliens a bit, I picture Data basically the age he was in TNG, and I picture Troi the way she looked in Nemesis, because I have always thought she looked better with age.

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Same as most everyone else on Tellarites and Andorians -- except that we've seen so many TOS-era Andorians in film and comics with antennae at the rear of the head that I tend to imagine there are different ethnic groups of Andorians with their antennae positioned differently. Although when I imagine a TOS-style Andorian, I assume the antennae can move ENT-style.

Well, technically, they are both aliens... ;)

6. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

I imagine TOS-style Tellarites, and all different sorts of Andorians-- though, like Christopher, I imagine all their antennae can move, though that was something the novels were doing ages before Enterprise came along.

7. Marie1

Marie1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Same- ENT Andorians, DS9 Cardassians, Klingons and Trill... I like Quark, but otherwise I prefer the TNG Ferengi maybe...

8. casey

casey Commander Red Shirt

Good thing I didn't mention that I picture a young, in shape Riker without gray in his beard. . . . THEN I would have gone past aliens :)

9. LightningStorm

LightningStorm The Borg King Commodore

Klingons: I default to ridges-Klingons regardless of era, unless specifically stated in the text that we are dealing with one or the other.

Trill: Always DS9

Cardassians: DS9 always unless specifically I'm reading about Gul Macet then I picture him as he appeared in TNG.

Andorians: ENT style always. In this case even if specifically mentioning the other style, I override that in my mind and go with ENT, unless it plays some special part in the story itself.

Tellarties: ENT -- but that's because that's my only remembered exposure to them and don't know what they looked like elsewhere.

Tholians -- I don't picture them as they appeared on screen at all. I picture them more like N'Grath from Babylon 5 but with smaller eyes.

I also have a stereotype about Humans I picture in books too. I go with what is described about them up to a point. For example I have a great deal of difficulty remembering to picture Renal Keru in Titan as a big burly bearded man. I usually start out with a base of average height, and average Hollywood-weight (so much thinner than normal), and ranging in average to well above average looks.

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Some people are talking about TNG Cardassians looking different from DS9 Cardassians. I remember the different uniforms from "The Wounded," but aside from that and Macet's facial hair, I've never noticed any major differences. What are you folks referring to?

11. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

I imagine them all as they appeared in the Animated Series -- static facial expressions, limited motion and all.

12. LightningStorm

LightningStorm The Borg King Commodore

The only differences I remember are (as you said) the facial hair. Also that his skin tone was brown as opposed to more of a gray color. Though neither of those are necessairily species specific. When I picture a Cardassian I automatically picture them as gray as opposed to brown.

13. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

14. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

^ I picture ENT Tellarites, but with TOS-like hands. It's just nice to have some variety from the usual "four fingers and a thumb" we see on everyone else. ;)

15. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

Those first Cardassians have a much more beige complexion than grey (though there's a slight hint of it in there). Their hair tends more towards brown than black. The eye-ridging patterns are rougher, macroscales less defined (that latter being a word I use to describe it in my writing), the neck ridges don't flare out as much as they do on later Cardassians like Dukat and Garak, and the ear ridges tend not to flow as smoothly down into the jaw (though I've seen this feature vary in later Cardassians).

It MIGHT even be possible that this is the only ethnic group capable of growing facial hair.

I'd say that's about a complete list. ;)

Unlike some of the other changes in alien races we've seen, I think this one can easily be put down to an ethnic-group disparity no more unreasonable than anything that can be seen with humanity. In Macet's case, of course, this would mean that he very much takes his complexion and ridging patterns from his father's side of the family, whereas build, voice, and basic shape of the face comes from the Dukat side (presumably his mother's family, since as we've seen with the Ghemors, Cardassians are born with their father's surname).

16. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

I prefer the TOS snout to the ENT slightly-funny nose.

17. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

TOS Tellarites, ENT Andorians, TMP+ Klingons, DS9 Trills, later-DS9 Bajorans, FC/VGR Borg

18. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Same here. My first ever fanfic addressed the TOS/TMP differences as two sub-species, and of course now we have Aenar and lots more antennae variations (ST IV, TNG, ENT). And if an Andorian has been featured in cover art (Thala, Shar, Thriss) then I'm happy to go with that antennae configeration for that Andorian.

19. Anticitizen

Anticitizen Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I really hated the forehead ridges on Romulans in TNG. As if we, the viewers, were too stupid to tell the difference between Romulans and Vulcans based on attitude, clothing, and plot alone, so we need physical distinction as well. Insulting I thought, and completely destroys the prejudice subplot between Stiles and Spock in 'Balance of Terror' and, by extension, the whole point of them being a breakaway offshoot of the Vulcan race. It was better when we believed they were Vulcans who rejected Surak's teachings, not some distantly related race that's been separated from Vulcan for so long that their foreheads evolved different in the interim.

In any case, I shouldn't complain, because as far as I can tell, Romulans will be Nosferatu from here on out based on what I saw in 'Nemesis' and the new Trek trailer, which is way worse than stupid forehead ridges.

20. CaptainDonovin

CaptainDonovin Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Being someone who has dabbled in the fan fiction end of Trek lit I would have to go with opinions expressed above:[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana] [/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]ENT Gorn, Tholians, Orions, Tellarites & Andorians, DS9 Trills, later-DS9 Bajorans, FC/VGR Borg[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana] [/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]For the Klingons, though I have mostly stayed in the post [FONT=Verdana]Nemesis [/FONT]era, I picture them as a bit of a mixture of TOS & post TMP. I picture those afflicted with what happened in ENT were first looked upon w/ disgrace because they didn't look Klingon. I suspect it took no time for them to show they were warriors who would fight for the glory of the Empire and that the Empire used the look to send spies into Federation space. I also envision that once a cure was found they were all enthusiastic about getting it.[/FONT][/COLOR]