DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Morales is "A" level in my book.

2. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He can be, but a lot of his Action comics work was not up to par.

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

If writer A, and artist B, are working on title C, and random chance foottraffic lookiloos are D, when A, B, C and D are mutually exclusive, that is a lot of customers these four elements can attract.

If you have a title no one has heard of, written by an unknown and draw by a fresh face in the market, that means that all you can rely on is D and pray they start some buzz.

Then you have problems inclusiveness.

If A, B and C have the same identical loyalist fanbase, then you're anticipating the same readers counted 3 times to support the books sales, which means that there's absolutely no point putting those three together if any one of them would generate the same numbers as the three elements combined.

This was explained to me in the 80s as the John Byrne Effect. There were 60 thousand comic book readers that followed Byrne. No matter what he was drawing they bought it. Always. If a book is doing bad, you stick John Byrne's 60 thousand on task and boost the titles numbers... Well, 60 thousand LESS howeversomany of that 60 thousand who were already buying the book you just chained John to.

When C is strong (The title). You have a book that is so beloved and so well marketed, that it almost doesn't matter who writes and draws it... But you do have to worry about brand marginalism. That if you put a talentless asshole hack on home plate for a bat with a sure thing, the title is going to tank and you've lost the only book that was generating good numbers.

Nurturing something that works is often as important as growing new products to stuff vacuums.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Morales is A list, but his work was off after the excellent first arc of the story, even I'll admit this.

Did anyone check out the Channel 52 instalment for this week in their books? The main anchor has taken a leave of absent due to the "emotional turmoil" of reporting Damian's death last week...really? Reports in real life deal with emotional and complex stories all the time and manage to keep it together, and usually we see them right back at work at the next day. I thought that was a little overdramatic and lame to be honest. I don't like these instalments at all. Like I said before, I get why they're doing them...and they could work if they get better, but right now they're lame.

5. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

He definitely didn't have all the time he need. But Rocafort isn't comparable to someone at Rags's level and definitely not someone you want drawing a Grant Morrison comic.

6. Admiral_Young

Just saw the Diggle/Daniel preview for Action Comics #19 and Daniel's artwork look spectacular. I forgot how well the man can draw!

7. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Morales first arc on Action was great--give him a few issues off once and a while and he will turn in great work.

Interestingly, my wife who is a bit of an amateur artist and connoisseur detests comic book art, but for some reason took my ipad away from me when I was reading Superman 14 or 15 and commented that she absolutely loved Rocafort's art. She said that he really gives the characters personality and for the first time outside of the movies she saw Superman as a person and not a drawing. I am not sure I share her opinion but I thought that I would put it out there.

8. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I think Rochefort is really good! He was the only reason I was reading Red Hood so I'm glad he moved to Superman :lol:

9. Admiral_Young

10. drychlick

drychlick Captain Captain

:rolleyes:Batman zero year! been there done that! not geting! gave me something NEW

11. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I'd rather have present day stories than a year long detour...

12. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Isn't the 11-issue arc about the riddler?

13. Mike Farley

There are 3 other Batman books (Detective, Batman: The Dark Knight, and Batman and Whoever) to tell modern stories. I'm okay with one book stepping off and telling an early days tale.

Snyder did hint in an earlier interview that The Riddler was his next villain to focus on.

14. Admiral_Young

This isn't a retelling of the origin. This is pretty much what the arc title says...year zero, we were teased with this with the zero issue back last September which ended with the reveal of The Riddler. This will be about Bruce building the cave, etc.

15. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

The latest announcement has me interested in Snyder's Batman for the first time since the reboot. I'm guessing it gets back to the architectural theme he was running with in Gates of Gotham. (I know Court of Owls was in some sense a continuation of that interest in Gotham itself, even if I wasn't interested enough to read it.)

16. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

My problem with it is up til now "Batman" has been the the premier title of the franchise, but by going into the past it's giving that up. What's the primary title now? Detective?

17. Admiral_Young

"Batman" is still the premier title, why has that suddenly changed in your mind because Snyder is going back into the past? It's not like the quality of the stories or writing is suddenly going to change, or Capullo's art is going to suck lol.

18. Mike Farley

Maybe he'll draw it in the style of Bob Kane?

Edited to add: Before the nu52 relaunch the "premier" title was whatever title Grant Morrison was working on. It WAS Batman, then Batman and Robin, then Batman Inc. Premier doesn't really mean much.

19. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, I won't rant about the horrible writing of Snyder or the lack of good origins in the New 52 (Did anyone think Tim Drake's new origin was a good idea). I'll just say that, while I'm sure it will suck, as long as Catwoman isn't turned into a prostitute, it will atleast be better than Miller's Year One.

20. Admiral_Young

Scott Snyder wasn't responsible for the alterations to Tim Drake. That was DC Editorial I believe and then Scott Lobdell who wrote them.