DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

"Fear Itself" wasn't the conclusion of the decade saga, it basically didn't have anything to do with anything, very disappointing. The climax was "Avengers vs X-Men" in a thematic sense, and "Siege" in a literal sense.

2. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I meant it was the conclusion of my interest in Marvel. I saw Siege and maybe Age of Heroes being the conclusion of that long arc.

3. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I stopped reading WW after a few issues too. The story wasn't grabbing and the art wasn't too impressive. (Too angular and "flat looking.") But a recent one I got to increase my purchases for a CC use was pretty good. I may check out WW again.

Today pulled:

Superman (end of H'El story line.)
    World's Finest
    Smallville
    Detective

4. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Siege and end of the v1 of New Avengers imo was the conclusion for the story of Disassembled.

Children's Crusade and XvsA is more like the conclusion for HoM.

5. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

For example, the current Green Arrow comic isn't something I hate, but it sucks. So does Justice League Dark, Animal Man (which is easily the most overrated New 52 comic, I might have liked it more if the artist could draw a coherent scene, instead of making me wonder what the hell was going on all the time), Swamp Thing, Birds of Prey, etc. I've atleast tried a lot of the New 52, and the vast majority just sucks.

As for the WW love, like I said before, there have been worst arcs. Still, compared to the awesome Wonder Woman runs (by people like gail simone and the post COIE run with George Perez) this run sucks. I'll admit the whole "confused about the real world" thing probably came mostly from Justice League, but it was still boring, Wonder Woman is written to be more violent then a rabid klingon, and the art is bad. Not the worst art ever (the guy can't match JRjr, Liefeld, or Frank Miller in the horrible art category) but its very mediocre. I never get why companies give high profile books to bad artists. I literally can't read Captain America right now because JRjr's art makes my eyes bleed, its even worse than his Avengers work (and the guy doing the main Avengers book is also horrible). DC has kind of improved because Liefeld is gone, but while their bad artists aren't quite as bad as marvel's bad artists, DC has more of them (and more just mediocre ones). To be fair, DC has great artists (like the guy drawing Batwoman, although I would love to see the book with a coherent panel structure and not a series of sometimes hard to follow two page spreads, literally my only complaint aboiut that book is that sometimes it gets really hard to read a page) and some good artists, but it also has a lot of not memorable, mediocre and downright bad artists.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just because you don't like something doesn't make it bad. Not everything is always going to line up with everyone tastes, but just because it isn't something you like doesn't mean it's bad. There is plenty of stuff out there that I am willing to acknowledge is probably good, even if it isn't to my tastes.
    You don't like the art in the current volume of Avengers? I only read the first issue, but I thought the art was gorgeous. And while I haven't read a whole issue yet, I've skimmed through WW and loved the artwork in it too. But I could see where it might not be for everyone, it is a more unique style. I like it when we see something more than you're standard realistic art.

7. kirk55555

Well, Avengers art is easily worse than WW. I mean, WW is bad, but it seemed to be easy to see what was going on.

Also, I kind of get what you mean, but that only works in some situations. WW is a legitimately bad book, I know that from reading it. Comics, in general, to me can't fit into the "its just not for me" category, atleast with comics I read and don't like. There are comics that aren't for me, and I don't read those. We're talking about WW. Its just a bad comic.

8. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Nah, its a comic you don't like. It's well written and well drawn.

9. kirk55555

Thats all a matter of opinion. I think its badly written, and very badly drawn. Just because you think its good doesn't make it good. I'll admit the same is true of my opinion, but thats how everything goes. Good or bad is subjective. Saying somethings good to someone who doesn't like it doesn't mean they're wrong and you're right, or vice-versa. Its opinion, not fact. To me, its a bad and very unentertaining comic.

10. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

No one is saying they are right and you are wrong. You keep on repeating about stuff you hate and don't read. You've already made your feelings and opinions quite clear. I'm not sure what the point is carrying on about it. It's obvious you don't agree with us on somethings, and that's okay. No point going on about it. *Shrugs*.

11. Nerys Myk

There is difference between disliking something for reasons involving theme, story or message and something that's just badly done. I don't care for B5 or BSG for various reasons, but I will admit they are well done. They aren't badly acted or written because I didn't find the plot or characters appealing.

12. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Good and interesting end to H'El on Earth storyline. Look forward to where Superman goes from here.

13. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

I had two DC books today, Earth-2 and Green Lantern, and both of them were almost entirely people standing around talking. The difference is that Green Lantern was suspenseful and interesting while Earth-2 just had me wanting them to get on with it, already. That's too bad, since I've been enjoying Earth-2 up to this point. It is a book really suffering from decompression, though. Green Lantern is moving towards the conclusion of Johns run, and the cliffhanger at the end has me intrigued.

14. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I agree, Green Lantern moved me, and Earth 2 couldn't keep my focus.

Avengers is trying to be too big too early, but Wonder Woman is unreadable... Although I haven't actually read it in maybe 10 months.... Because it's UNREADABLE.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  15. Nerys Myk

I figured it would be right up your alley, Guy.

16. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Superman #17 was okay. I'm kind of glad the H'el arc is done, will be interesting to see what he will do next for the book. To be honest, I'm kind of getting this for the Bocafort artwork :)

17. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Looking at Rocafort's work in Superman I was struck by the thought that maybe this was the guy that should have been drawing Morrison's Action all along. He has a quirky, interesting style that I think would have meshed well with Morrison's work. He also seems to be able to keep to a schedule and inconsistent artwork has been a big detriment to Action's flow.

18. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I've never understood why they don't get an A level artist to go with Morrison.

19. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

There's only so much cash to go around for each book.

And not a lot of money at all to spread so thinly when you account for how many individuals and services are required to make a printing of 30 thousand (PLUS!!) books.

Different projects have different projected potential revenue, which allows for greater or less initial capital investment.

Economics 101.

Unless Morrison "demands" someone specifically, the more money they pay Morrison, because he can ask for premium dollars... The less the rest of the poor shlubs not on a fixed rate of pay can get for pencilling, inking, editing, and then a return for their stockholders.

With obvious exceptions, books using high quality expensive talent like Morrison, can't afford "established" artists with "reputations" no matter their skill levels, because they won't work for the slice of pie left over after Morrison has Gorged himself...

This works in reverse too.

It's why the "best" artists always have shitty writers who are often themselves.

20. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Then why do we have Jim Lee and Geoff Johns, or Jim Lee and Scott Snyder, or Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo? ;)