The Snowmen Grading and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by The Nth Doctor, Dec 25, 2012.

?

How do you rate The Snowmen?

1. God bless us, every one! (Fantastic)

45.3%
  2. Full of Christmas cheer (Very Good)

32.4%
  3. Not a classic, but jolly good fun (Good)

17.3%
  4. Not enough Robot Santas (Fair)

2.9%
  5. Bah humbug! (Terrible)

2.2%
  1. Worf2DS9

Worf2DS9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Actually the theme arrangement was definitely changed along with the visuals. I'm not sure how I feel about the theme right now; I'll have to listen to it properly once I'm back home. The new title sequence is a nice change, though not particularly amazing. Smith's face is hardly there at all (blink and you miss him), but overall the whole new look is a nice change, including the TARDIS doors opening on the post-credits scene.

Loved Jenna-Louise (would have preferred Victorian Clara to be the companion), loved seeing Vastra & Jenny again (spin-off please!), and Strax was surprisingly amusing. The snowman plot was a little tame compared to all the good stuff (oh, including the new interior!), but overall a very enjoyable special.

Bring on 7-B! (SPACE here didn't show a preview clip of the rest of the season, so I guess I'll have to catch that on YouTube)

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Well, I thought that was fantastic. The resolution was probably a little lame, but I think the rest of the episode far outweighs that one small part of it. Strax is freaking hilarious and I hope we see him more often. And Jenna-Louise Coleman was excellent. She and Matt Smith have some tremendous chemistry together. I can't wait to see more of Clara, and I find this little mystery surrounding her rather intriguing. This may be my favorite of all the Christmas specials so far. I was supremely entertained from start to finish.

And so begins the long wait for Spring. :(

3. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ok, I definitely didn't notice. Thought it sounded the same.

4. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

I have to say that I'm relieved that we didn't get a Victorian companion.

5. Orac

Orac Fleet Admiral Admiral

So how long do we have to wait for another episode now?

6. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Four months.

7. VDCNI

VDCNI Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Overnight ratings are 7.59m - nothing special but all ratings look to be down year on year and it beat Downton and Call The Midwife.

8. gturner

gturner Admiral

I'm thinking Sarah is Helena Bonham Carter with prettier eyes, a cuter nose, and dimples to die for.

9. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

Enjoyable - first Christmas special of the lot I can remember actually liking, in fact - but still nothing spectacular and let down by the "human emotion saves the day" ending, which was weak in the extreme.

I'm still not convinced about Clara but Coleman and the excellent-as-always Smith seem to work well together. The soufflé bit was a very nice touch and I am somewhat curious as to who and what Clara is, but she's nothing out of the ordinary thus far.

Not sure about the rearranged theme music but I liked the visuals. Liked the new interior and the TARDIS-on-a-cloud bit just...worked. "It's smaller on the outside" was cute.

"Good evening. I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." :lol: One of the funniest lines I can remember from new Who and perfectly delivered. Strax's assortment of one-liners was overdone, though.

I'm over the "Doctor Who" bit turning up time and again and again and again. We get it - it's a theme for this series. Get on with it.

There are a few other things I didn't much care for but I don't see much need to bring them up. Smith continues to make the show worth watching for me, so I'll deal with the rest of it as it happens.

10. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Wanna bet?

One of the upcoming episodes *is* titled "Journey To The Centre Of The TARDIS"....

11. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Just have to wait until the final ratings come in, but it could easily top 10m, which wouldn't be bad for a 17:15 showing.

12. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

"Sir, please do not noogie me during combat prep!" Now THAT is a funny line!

Love the new titles, so-so about the new theme.

LOVE the new control room, like the complete change.

Loved the one liners and the call back to other eps. I think Moffatt talking time off from Sherlock shows in a clever script.

As for Clara Oswin, hmm, looks interesting. But the Doctor is letting her kiss him! And him a married man!

The "Doctor Who?" thing, yeah, a bit meh.

13. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

if vastra was a man, i'm pretty sure people would complain that he treats his wife as a servant that seems to obey every command.

anyone else feel they're relationships a bit dodgy?

14. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I still miss the coral-themed control room (it really drove home the fact that the TARDIS is a living, breathing thing), but the new one is a great homage to the classic control rooms.
    What's a bit weird is how those glowing discs on the upper level and the connecting lines look like smiling faces. Seems kinda creepy (click the image for a larger version).
    [​IMG]

15. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

What happened to the Ice Governess? Either I'm dense or BBC America cut the hell out of the third act, but it seemed like something was missing there.

16. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

By the way what was that London underground map about and where did they get it from? Was it the Doctors? It's a paradox?

17. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Completely agree. That had me on the edge of my seat.

I absolutely loved this, best bit of Who this series.

18. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Might be down to the actors age as well, but if you look at the years

1866-1892 = 26 years, the original era ran for 26 years.

19. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Jenna Louise-Coleman was incredible but most of the story seemed to be filler. Although I loved the set up fo the Great Intelligence in the London underground.

20. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

Fantastic! I really enjoyed that! Extra bonus, great tie-in to the Great Intelligence! Clara was great. The supporting characters were great. I pretty much enjoyed it all!

Except for the new TARDIS control room! I know it was meant to be cold to represent the Doctor's mood, but hoping they change it soon. I looked cheap and dark to me.

Mr Awe