Castle Season 5 (including Spoilers)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by FPAlpha, Aug 29, 2012.

1. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  2. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Same here but I finally got to watch it last night. I was very impressed with this episode. It was much better than I anticipated.

3. cardinal biggles

I caught it On Demand as well, and it was well worth it. Definitely one of the best episodes of the past couple seasons.

4. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

5. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Tonight's episode should be all kinds of awesome.

6. Savage Dragon

I'm looking forward to it too. I just hope I can stay up that long!

7. cardinal biggles

I don't get home from work soon enough; it'll have to wait for On Demand tomorrow morning.

8. Worf2DS9

Worf2DS9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I time-shift Castle so I can watch it on the Atlantic feed at 7pm. Really looking forward to it! :)

9. Savage Dragon

Does anyone know if Time Warner has time shifting? It doesn't seem like they do but I could be wrong.

10. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

I'll be DVR'ing it. It will never get erased.

ETA: SO LOVING THIS EPISODE!!!!

[​IMG] My DVR screwed up. When I tried to watch an encore the screen froze or broke up. No choice but to delete.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  11. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Okay, that was a lot of fun, and gave CSI's "scifi convention" ep a run for its money.

12. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Flat out a blast to watch! Like "Galaxy Quest" in that it poked the right amount of fun yet still had time and sense for a complimentary view of cosplay and being a geeky fan.

13. Balrog

Balrog Commodore Commodore

'Final Frontier' ROCKED! I haven't laughed so much in a long time. I won't give anything away, but the nods to Trek and other sci-fi are brilliant.

14. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Okay, now I wanna see Nebula 9. I'm intrigued by the Oracle character -- love to know the backstory there.

Fun episode, though it's a shame they couldn't corral more big SFTV names for the guest cast. They got Armin Shimerman for one scene, and Frakes directed, but otherwise it was straight-up basic cable: Ed Quinn from Eureka and Erin Way from Alphas. I'd kind of gotten the impression there'd be some Firefly cast showing up, so I was a bit disappointed there. Although Quinn did bear a striking resemblance to Fillion. And overall it was so much fun that it made up for the casting.

And speaking of satisfying appearances... Alexis. Wow.

I'm surprised how many real SF shows/films they were able to reference. The Marvel references and cosplay make sense, what with ABC being Disney-owned. The Star Wars refs were a bit surprising, since surely this was made before the Lucasfilm sale was announced -- although maybe they already knew it'd be happening so it was cleared. But there were also a lot of Trek references (including Fillion doing both Shatner and Stewart impressions), mentions of Blade Runner, etc.

What's nice is that apparently we've grown past the era when SF/fantasy as a whole was seen as a fringe or niche interest that had to be justified and defended. Everyone was a fan of one thing or another. Castle and Beckett are both megafans of their own distinct things, Esposito likes Blade Runner, Ryan's into sword and sorcery, and Alexis was cosplaying as... wow. Beckett's big monologue justifying her love for the show came close to the usual defense of "Sure, it looks cheesy, but it's also inspiring and meaningful," but it was just the one particular cult show, not the whole genre, that was treated as needing a defense.

The main thing I had trouble with was the working lasers. No way could something that tiny contain that much power with present-day technology. Any portable unit, if it were possible, would probably need a heavy backpack to carry the power cells. And no way could one hobbyist working alone come up with such a revolutionary breakthrough. They strayed a little too much into science-fiction territory there.

15. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

That, was SO FUN! Not even 5 minutes into the episode and references are dropping all over the place! Jonathan Frakes, Star Wars, Spiderman, Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, Joss Whedon, Blade Runner.

16. TimmyWl

TimmyWl Commodore Commodore

I thought it was hilarious and especially the mutual decision of Castle/Alexis of never mentioning what happened at the convention. The two went their seperate ways. Then there was the final scene at the end with Beckett with the mask on. That was equally hiliarious.

17. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Somebody needs to make a compilation DVD of TV shows with sci fi con spoof episodes. And dammit, I'm trying to think of others besides the CSI one and the She-Wolf of London one. I know there were more!

18. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Ah! Seems Bones had one too.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1359122/

19. Balrog

Balrog Commodore Commodore

I loved that Armin Shimerman's character was essentially Quark.

20. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

How so? He was an eccentric inventor, not a bartender/con man. I didn't see any particular resemblance between the characters.