Princess Kate (aka the Duchess of Cambridge) is Pregnant!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Ro_Laren, Dec 3, 2012.

1. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

The state of a patient is always private.

Don't start and defend that sick "celebrities are public domain" stalking bullshit.

2. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

What a load of bollocks. If St James Palace wanted The Duchess of Cambridges status to remain private, they shouldn't have released a press release explaining why she was in hospital, how she was doing and other information normally kept private for us lesser beings. I'm sorry, but this thread, created by an American living in Russia even discussed some of those things. Does that mean in your eyes this thread, the discussions going on all across the planet about her condition is illegal too?

Yes it's pretty unfortunate this nurse felt she had to take her own life, but it's far from the radio broadcasters fault that she did. Any other "celeb" and this would have been a non story, instead, because it's the wife to the heir to the British thrown, it's being blown out of proportion.

Not at all. If St. James Palace hadn't let the world know what was happening, it would have been a massive invasion of privacy. Because said press release, was, well released, there is no invasion of privacy.

3. Agenda

Agenda Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

When you publicly humiliate people, there are consequences. They are now reaping those consequences. They want to shock people. Well...we are now shocked.

4. Brefugee

And who was humiliated exactly? The nurse who may have committed suicide? The nurse she who she handed the telephone to? The Hospital involved or the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge?

All that originally happened, and it seems the trial by interwebz is blowing this out of proportion was that two radio presenters thought it would be a good idea that they would ring the hospital, pretend to be the Queen and Phil the Greek and see what happened. And it worked! They had information given to them that wasn't strictly private because it was already in the public domain because of a handy press release from St. James Palace - the official residence of the Cambridge's. After the conversation, the radio presenters then handed over a recorded copy of it with their ethics board and that person or persons okayed and it was then broadcast.

Yes it's a bloody big shame that the nurse who took a phonecall at five-thirty in the morning and handed it over to someone else thinking it was the Queen and her husband may have committed suicide. But I personally find it highly unlikely that she would have committed suicide over this one thing. As I said earlier, it was probably the straw that broke the camels back.

5. Agenda

Agenda Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I stopped reading after that. :wtf:

6. Brefugee

Impressive.

I'm still struggling to think who was humiliated in all this.

I would say the radio presenters as what they thought and confirmed with their layers/ethics board it was all ok, didn't break any laws and some such and what they thought was a harmless prank back fired in quiet a large way.

7. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

and obviously if they say she is in the hospital and why she loses all rights to privacy over every aspect of her condition right? :wtf:

8. Brefugee

Not in the slightest. But what information the broadcasters got from the hospital was in the public domain, they didn't get anything else that wasn't in a press release. If they had in fact got information that St. James Palace hadn't released then I would have completely different opinion on what occurred.

9. wissaboo

that was just a happy coincidence. They could have gotten information that hadn't been released just as easily

10. Brefugee

But they didn't did they. They got what St James Palace released in a press release for the entire world to digest and it seem comment on. If the lawyer/ethics board knew that they had more information than was in the public domain, they would have pulled the piece and not broadcast, but because they found out what the rest of the Worlds major news agencies knew, it was save to broadcast.

You and others it seems are going by what ifs and could have beens.

Yes it's unfortunate that this nurse decided to end her life, maybe the fact she did it a day after she answered the phone at five-thirty in the morning is just as happy a coincidence, yes it may have been the straw that broke the camels back, but I find it hard to believe that this sole event caused her to allegedly kill herself.

My original point and I'll stand by this. The radio broadcasters do not deserve to be fired, nor sued as was suggested. Yes it was a questionable act, but it seems the ethics board/lawyer at 2Dayfm signed off on the phone call, it didn't breach any laws, here nor in Australia. All in all, in my opinion, no one did anything wrong here. If it was any other "celeb" say Victoria Beckham, I'm sure there would be some grumblings about press invasion from certain aspects of the news media, but not to the extent that's happened here and the majority of opinion would be, meh.

These types of phone calls have happened, I'm sure Tony Blair or Gordon Brown were at the receiving end of one years ago and there certainly wasn't the righteousness over it that has occurred here.

11. wissaboo

but we've already established that they did break the law. But even if they hadn't, they brought a lot of condemnation and bad press on thier employers, people have been fired for a lot less

12. Brefugee

Which law? The information was in the public domain, so are you saying that we are breaking the law by actually discussing this? I admit, yes it's rather ethically interesting, but breaking a law, not so much.

Last time I read the BBC regarding this story, no complaints had been issued to the hospital and what happened, not from St. James Palace, not from the Queen or Phil the Greek, not even from the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge. From all accounts, they were perfectly happy with the way Kate was treated in hospital, yes there will be an investigation, but they happen at the drop of a hat. It's just arm chair quarter backs complaining and moaning when the people actually involved have done no complaining and it's trial by interwebz for the two radio broadcasters who have really done nothing wrong.

13. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

The last couple of pages of this thread have amazed me. I cannot understand how anyone could argue that the DJs 'did nothing wrong'. I genuinely cannot grasp that argument at all. Even ignoring the suicide element, they would know full well that what they did could get someone fired and ruin their life. All for a few seconds joke. It was a selfish, dickish thing to do.

And Jim Steele, the thinking of 'person commits suicide the day later being the subject of national media interest for a fuck up they make' is hardly comparable to 'these boys played video games therefore shot up their school'. I'd say the causation could be argued very strongly in this case. The only factor? I doubt it. But I would bet a lot that it was the trigger.

14. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

A woman is dead because of what they've done. That's why.

That's their problem.

If there's anything good that could possibly come from this: maybe the media will start developing a sense of human decency.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  15. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

That is never going to happen.

16. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ If there's a way to make them, I'm wondering what it could be.

17. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    If they didn't learn anything from Diana's death, they never will.

Thing is, William isn't a cute 15-year-old anymore - the press figures he and his wife are fair game.

18. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

While I completely agree with the general thrust of your arguments Dimesdan, you just can't make this declarative statement. They meant no harm and there were contributory factors probably including her own fragile state, the asinine decision of the 'legal advisers' at that radio show, and the truly dreadful Daily Mail. However the bottom line is if they hadn't made that prank call that nurse would still be alive.

19. MNM

MNM Captain Captain

Of course had the nurse for example decided she wanted to be a secretary instead of a nurse she'd probably still be alive today as well.

We can do the dance of "If X hadnt of happened Y wouldnt have followed" forever.

It isnt the radio presenters fault the nurse commited suicide.

20. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

I agree.

All they did was humiliate someone publicly for the amusement of strangers.

So they're not responsible for her suicide. They're just assholes.