DC Showcase animated shorts: Jonah Hex, Green Arrow, Superman/Shazam

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Here's a roundup of news about the DC Showcase animated shorts:

Jonah Hex, attached to Batman: Under the Red Hood, has a running time of 11 minutes and 53 seconds. It's written by Joe R. Lansdale (with a story based on the Justin Gray/Jimmy Palmiotti comics) and directed by Joaquim dos Santos. The voice cast includes Thomas Jane as Jonah Hex, Linda Hamilton as Madame Lorraine, Michael Rooker as Red Doc, and Michelle Trachtenberg as a bar girl. Thomas Jane lobbied for the part of Jonah Hex in the feature film and lost out to Josh Brolin. Jane ended up with what is sure to be the better Jonah Hex production, though.

Here are some pics from Jonah Hex that WB has released:

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 4

Pic 5

Pic 6

The next Showcase short after Jonah Hex is Green Arrow (attached to Superman/Batman: Apocalypse). It's written by Greg Weisman and the voice cast includes Neal McDonough as Green Arrow and Malcolm McDowell as Merlyn.

Finally, Comics Continuum has broken the news that there'll be a compilation of Showcase animated shorts next year which will be anchored by Superman/Shazam!: The Return of Black Adam (which will have a 22-minute running time, about double the running time of the previous shorts). Whether Superman/Shazam will be exclusively available on the compilation release or whether it'll also be attached to a future DTV movie release is unknown at this point. The Showcase shorts are going to be the topic of a panel at Comic-Con, so all should be answered then.

2. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Re: DC Showcase animated shorts: Jonah Hex, Green Arrow, Superman/Shaz

Just what I was afraid of. The increase to 4 movies a year is really the same 3 movies and then a compilation of the shorts. Oh well, a 22 minute short is not enough to convince me to buy the DVD/BD. Better hope that short is available elsewhere.

3. CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So is Superman/Shazam going to feature orginal shorts or the ones already released? If it's the shorts already released that's pretty lame.

4. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

I fear it's going to be the ones already released. If that's the case and Superman/Shazam is only available on the compilation release that'll be a kick in the teeth to people like me who have bought every release. If Superman/Shazam is also attached to the early 2011 release then it'll be no harm, no foul.

5. ToddKent

ToddKent Captain Captain

I hope that is is a compilation of the previously released shorts. I rented/streamed the previous releases from Netflix and they only contained the features so this will give me a chance to finally see the shorts.

6. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

^^^
    I have no problem with a compilation of the previous shorts as long as there isn't one new short that's solely available on the compilation.