Have you named your child after a sci fi character?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Prometheus, Jun 9, 2009.

1. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I was named after Dave from 2001.

No not really. :)

2. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    ^Although I was named "Hal" after my grandfather and not the famous computer from 2001: A Space Odyssey, I always found it a curious coincidence that I graduated from high school in 2001. (For the record, I'm perfectly fine with people making 2001 jokes with my name. But reference Shallow Hal and you die!)

There aren't a lot of particularly sci-fi-ish guy names that would be able to slip in generally unnoticed except by my fellow travelers. But if I have daughters, I'd be very tempted to go with "Kira" & "Ezri."

So far, the only life forms I've ever been at all within my power to name have been cats. I keep wanting a cat named "Praxis" (after the exploded Klingon moon from Star Trek VI) but I haven't had such an opportunity yet. All of the cats that we get either come pre-named or my mother & sister have very specific ideas about names. There was one that I wanted to name "Alice" after Alice in Wonderland, because I always felt that her behavior was "curiouser & curiouser." My sister vetoed me. (She decided to name it Adelade after the character from Guys & Dolls. For our own sanity, no one dared disagree with my sister about anything around that time.)

3. Anthony Sabre

Anthony Sabre Commodore Commodore

I would name my child Xavier but that has little to do with X-Men. I just like the name.

4. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

I have to admit, a daughter with the name of Èowyn would be nice. Well, without the accent mark, 'cuz that would be a pain. :lol:

5. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

I had a black cat named Snowball, after the Simpsons cat.

6. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

I haven't but I know people who have:

My sister, who is not a Star Trek fan, considered naming her son Chakotay because she liked the name.

My cousin's ex-wife's best friend named her daughter Jadzia Nerys.

7. Daneel

Daneel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

On the slim chance I ever have children, I'd love to name them after a sci-fi/fantasy character (although I've also thought about using names from various mythologies), but I have a feeling convincing the child's mother of that would be a next-to-impossible task, unless I luck out and find someone as nerdy as I am.

It's probably pointless to think about it anyway... Don't most girls have their children's names picked out by the time they're thirteen? ;)

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Keep in mind that "praxis" is a real (albeit somewhat technical) word meaning "practical application of a branch of learning" or "established practice or custom." It's etymologically related to "practice," "practical," and "pragmatic." I suppose the second definition could apply to a cat, since they're creatures of habit.

My family had a white longhair named Snowball long before there ever was a Simpsons. But then, I imagine many have.

9. Bri

Bri Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Former roomate? lol sorry, couldn't resist.

Bri :rommie:

10. MeanJoePhaser

MeanJoePhaser Admiral

My dad says my mom breifly considered naming me "Peregrin", but was afraid people would call me "Perry"...as if that's worse!

11. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

The original name of my black cat was Scheiswerk, but I thought Snowball would be more acceptable and require less explanation.

12. miraclefan

miraclefan Commodore Commodore

Don't have any kids so no.

13. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

My sons name is Ian and he is named after Ian Malcolm from Jurassic Park. I wanted to name him Ian Malcolm, but my wife would not allow it and so he is Ian Riley.

14. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I know at least one kid named Aeryn (as in FARSCAPE).

I thought that was fairly ingenious. It sounds like "Erin" so the kid won't be teased too mercilessly.

15. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I've definitely thought about that name.

16. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

I named my youngest daughter Logan after Wolverine.

17. Elemental

Elemental Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One of my fellow medical residents has named her two kids after the Dax's. Ezri and can't remember the other. Maybe Lela or Emony. Can't say I'd ever do such a thing.

18. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

I named my cat after a sci-fi character. I named myself after one, too! ;)

19. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Only one of my cats was ever named after a science fiction character - and not one from TV/movies. ;)

Maggie was named after the character Magdalene Lorne in Marion Zimmer Bradley's Darkover novels. My Maggie was a stray with an extremely independent spirit, and the name fit her perfectly. Only problem was, this was in the '80s, and I had to keep telling people, "No, I did NOT name her after Margaret Thatcher!" :scream:

20. Baerbel Haddrell

Baerbel Haddrell Commodore Commodore

My daughter`s middle name is Elizabeth. I named her after Elizabeth Shelby from the Star Trek New Frontier novels.

If it would have been a boy I considered giving him the middle name Mackenzie but my husband was against the idea. We agreed on Miles instead because we are both fans of the Miles Vorkosigan series by Lois McMaster Bujold. His first name would have been Allen (Allen Walker, the main character of the Anime series D.-Gray Man).

Unfortunately it is very unlikely to happen that we will have a second child but it is not impossible.