Rewatching Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by tomalak301, Jan 13, 2008.

1. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hey all,

Something that I enjoyed doing lately in the TNG forum was rewatching the series and talking about it here with the fans of the show. It added an element to watching the series in that there were no arguments about this series being better than that series or all that conflict, but it was just fans of that one series agreeing, disagreeing, and just discussing the episodes in order from the beginning.

I've had an urge to do that here and I asked PKTrekGirl if it would be alright to start a thread like this and she said yes. I was wondering if anyone wanted to join me on this Journey through what many consider to be one of the best Television Programs of our generation. I'm actually still working on TNG, but I see no harm in watching both series, when I get the time of course, and going accordingly. I've just had a strong urge to watch Emissary lately and figured tonight would be the night to start. So, what do you all say. Let's see how this thread goes and if there is an interest, than I'll keep posting reviews here. If not, well, I'm writing reviews on my livejournal page here if you're interested.

So, to get things started:

Emissary - A-

If there is one problem I've always had with this episode, and this is a minor problem, it's that I've always found it a bit too cerebral for a series premiere. It seemed like it was going into depths that would probably lose some in the audience and maybe that was more of a hindrance than the writers might have anticipated. I remember watching this episode 15 years ago (I can't believe it's been that long) and really liking it but thinking it was a tad slow. Of course I was 8 at the time so that might have had something to do with it. ;)

Now that I'm older and wiser (hopefully), I've actually gotten an appreciation for this episode and have come to switch back and forth between this and Caretaker as to what Series Premiere I liked the best. This one had a great introduction of characters, where we were in the Trek universe from TNG, and sets this epic series up greatly. I really liked the interactions between Sisko and Major Kira and thier butting heads. Here are two people who are pretty much on the opposites of a coin and they need to learn to work together.

I think what really made this episode for me was the main story and that was getting into discovering the Wormhole, meeting the Prophets, and Sisko not able to let go of Jennifer (Who is really hot in that bikini by the way :drool: ). From when he meets Picard the first time to the end, it was a great way to start this character I thought. I even got a little choaked up when Sisko was talking about liner time on the Baseball diamond and on the Saratoga. It was really hard to watch him break down, and knowing what happens to him as the series goes on, you can really understand him so much here. It was a joy to watch, and it was a joy to see this series start the way it did.

Oh, and from the onset, I think I really loved Odo. "You know, at first I didn't think I was going to like him." His facial expression followed by Quark's was priceless. :guffaw:

2. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

I'm with you. I think I just waited for such an opportunity to rewatch the whole series. But I don't know how fast I can follow you. So, we'll see ...

This will be fun, I think.

May the prophets be with us ...

3. Dane_Whitman

Dane_Whitman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Keep posting your reviews! I'm just finishing Enterprise and am moving on to TOS, so I can't join you in rewatching DS9, but I'm looking forward to revising the series in a few months, when I'm done with the other shows.

A bit too thin and scrawny for my taste. Now Opaka... she's a babe.

4. tomalak301

Opaka was attractive, but she was also a little fat. Not a big deal really, but Jennifer looked just right.

5. Apogeal Alpha01

Apogeal Alpha01 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really didn't klike it when Opaka was left on the planet to care for the warring parties. There was just something warm, earthy and real about her character and she played it soooo well. But she wouldn't be high on my babe o'meter.

6. tomalak301

Watched some more tonight. I am serious, if anyone is starting DS9 from the beginning, feel free to jump in. I know I've been moving quickly, but I hope it isn't a one person thing. :)

Anyway:

Past Prologue - B

Nice start for the first episode after the premiere. It was great to see them focus on one of the scenes of Emissary and make that a full episode with Kira having to deal with the Federation and the status of the Provisional Government. This episode is notable for introducing Garak but before I get to him, I must say that the over all story was well done. I liked Tahna and watching this one, I started to wonder how many factions of Bajorans have organized groups where they want Bajor for Bajorans. I mean you have the Kohn Mah, then you have the Circle, and you had Kira say there were several factions who could plunge the planet into Civil War. Were there any Bajoran Factions who didn't want Bajor for Bajorans. ;) I also liked seeing Lursa and Betor again. Yeah it was cross promotion with TNG, but I've always liked them so it was fun seeing them show up on DS9. Also, it's a telling thing from the writers that yes we are continuing where TNG is and expanding this universe. In the Second season, I love the cross stuff they did with the Maquis because, like what happened here, it makes the universe bigger and much more three demensional. Really though, this was Kira's show and she shined.

As for Garek, what more can be said. This episode is underrated in that it never gets talked about, yet it introduced one of the greatest Trek characters ever. That in itself earns this episode a B-. It gets pushed up to a B because of everything else, including how Garek uses the Doctor to get the Federation involved. Pity Bashir never decided to put that suit on. ;)

A Man Alone - D+

It's your typical murder mystery but it does a great job setting up how Odo roles pretty much. I really enjoyed the scene in Sisko's office where Odo said "Laws are made up by anyone, Bajorans, Cardassians, Federation. Justice, is always there." Ok, maybe not the exact quote, but it could never be more true. Still, it was a by the numbers episode that other than the theme of Justice didn't add all that much.

Babel - C+

This episode shouldn't get the grade I gave it, but I've always enjoyed it. It's filled with tension, we get more insight into how the Station was during the occupation, and I think it takes some talent to act out mumbling words. Kinda feel bad for Obrian. One man, so much work and a huge station. I think he needs a bigger staff. :lol:

The episode was average though.

7. Dane_Whitman

Dane_Whitman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I always laugh when O'Brien says "D... Dinner to bug." :D

I crack up again when Quark is about to transport Odo and admits "I must have witnessed the procedure a dozen times... ENERGIZING!"

Good times, good times.

8. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm surprised you gave "A Man Alone" such a low score. I agree it was mostly by the numbers, but how many times do you see a public stoning on Star Trek?

Though, I do agree with "Past Prologue" and Garak. The teaser still has me in stitches even after all these years. :lol:

9. Darth_Pazuzu

Darth_Pazuzu Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

RE: A Man Alone
    "And I would've gotten away with it too, if it hadn't been for that meddling shapeshifter!!" :lol:

10. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

^ That scene is the reverse of Star Trek VI, where Auberjonois is unmasked at the conference. :thumbsup: