Whither Stargate?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Drone, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Drone

Drone Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I may have missed another thread on it, but if not, I'm interested if not somewhat surprised at the relative lack of vigor in discussing the MGM Stargate announcement around the turn of the month. One thread, giving out after 4 or 5 days, with a pretty squalid number of posts?

Aside from speculation and/or hopes for specifics on how the films' continuity will play out, one might also expect a greater sampling of the sturm und drang clamor and disgruntlement about it being absolutely the final coffin nail in any potential for a lifeline for all the series, blah blah blah,etc., ad infinitum.... that I've seen in other venues.

Thoughts on the apparent lack of enthusiasm for such discourse here?

2. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

So you created a thread to discuss the lack of discussion in the other thread?

3. Doctorwhovian

Doctorwhovian Fleet Captain

It seems the Stargate and ID4 sequels are things that they keep saying Emmerich will do at some point but for some reason they continue to be stuck in development hell.

4. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

It takes time to get things rolling on a movie. This new Stargate was only announced a month ago, so there isn't really anything too shocking about the silence. If we still haven't heard anything else this time next year, then I'll start to worry.

5. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I remember enjoying the first Stargate movie when it first came out, but it was a concept that worked much better as a television series. After fifteen years of various series, I don't think I'm too keen on the idea of a new movie--I would much rather see a couple of follow up movies to SGU on a television scale.

6. Drone

As Derek Flint once famously said, "Ah, but man does not live by bread alone". :)

7. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Enh. I liked the television stuff. I would rather see a continuation of that.

8. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Me, too. More of that, and not a compete remake of a movie that was only good because of James Spader (OK, and Kurt Russel, too).

9. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I suspect interest might have picked up when more details are known about it, i.e cast etc...

10. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

What do you want us to talk about? I think speculation on a plot or cast or director is entirely premature. Anything is just speculation.

11. theenglish

No, its not--this is the internet;)

I vote for Channing Tatem and Jonah Hill to star alongside Emma Watson.

12. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Emma Watson as T'ealc.

13. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Indeed. :)

Sorry, The Wormhole.

14. The Wormhole

I'm imagining Channing Tatum as Jack O'Neil and Jonah Hill as Daniel Jackson, and it strangely works. But if Emma Watson is Teal'c, who's Carter? And is it Samantha or Samuel Carter?

15. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I would have been interested in a sequel to Stargate with Spader and Russell, or a continuation of the SG1/SGA continuity. But I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in a remake.

16. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

The best thing that came out of the original movie was SG-1, the movie itself is rather simple like Emmerich's other movies. I'd rather just have a SGU tv-movie than a sequel or reboot of the original movie.

17. theenglish

I was half-serious proposing them. After 22 JS, I can see studios looking at them as a potentially classic comedy/action duo.

18. Drone

You mean like nearly every thread on Future of Trek? :rolleyes:

19. The Wormhole

Oh, I know. But as I thought the idea over, it really clicked. Hell, I don't even care that much about either actor, but now I'm going to be disappointed if they aren't starring in the new Stargate.

20. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

It will be called Vomitgate.