Why so little Uhura in ST3?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by wonderstoat, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Maybe she suggested it. "Captain, what would distract you?":devil:

2. guardian

guardian Commodore

Funny, at a con before the release Nichols was so proud of that scene, but later after the movie bombed--she said it was out-of-character.

You know if the movie had box office through the roof---she would have stuck with her first impression.

3. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

Similarly, Doohan said before the film was released that they all had a great time, Shat was a great director, and he hoped Shat would get to direct Trek VI. As soon as the critics and fans dogpiled on the movie, though, he changed his tune very quickly.

4. guardian

guardian Commodore

^Yep, I heard Doohan say the same thing at a con in West Palm prior to release--very diplomatic.

I think that since the movies (and Cons ) were their sole support they felt they had no choice but to pump it before the release and similarly afterward, thinking the bad box office combined with the focus on TNG had hurt their income they were especially bitter.

5. Kryton

Kryton Admiral Admiral

Despite its flaws, ST3 remains my favorite Trek film. Go fig.

6. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!
    Yes.

It's a much better film than all the lazy "All the odd numbered ones SUXORZZZ!!!1!" idiots claim too. They are just too lazy to realize III is in the middle there and they go with this stupid rule.

Uhura went to the Vulcan embassy to alert Sarek as to the plan. It is all elaborated on in the book.

7. guardian

guardian Commodore

So the people who don't like TSFS feel that way because a 'stupid rule' tells them so?

Brilliant.

8. Tulin

I am not talking about the people that genuinely disliked the film.

I am referring to, as I said above, all the lazy stupid people who just simply parrot the "every odd numbered film sucks" rule.

I ALWAYS really liked TMP, I LOVED III and enjoyed GEN. I pretty much despised TFF but that's pretty universal. In my experience, all but one of the odd numbered films were good-GREAT.

My partner and I are going through the films(he has never seen them before)and guess what his favourite is so far?

He LOVED TMP!!!!

He said he LOVED the '70's SF design aesthetic and the grand story and the evolved humanity theme. I showed him TWoK and said, "If you felt that way about TMP, you're going to LOVE this one...." and guess what?

He finished it and said, "What was all the fuss about? Why do people label TWoK as this GREAT movie?!? TMP was a MUCH better movie!"

So, there ya go.

All the lazy "The odd numbered films suxOrZZZZ!!!!!1!!!!!!!!11" people can shove that rule "up their shaft".

9. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    When did "Mister Adventure" have a sex change? :confused:

Slashfic is between same-sex characters. :vulcan:

10. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Maybe there was another male still in the closet?

11. Shatmandu

Shatmandu Vice Admiral Admiral

Not exclusively.

Joe, non-reader

12. KlingonPredator

KlingonPredator Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Somewhere out there there are pictures of a naked Nichelle Nichols from back in the day.....and she was FINE AS HELL!!!!!

13. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not if the "more" had anything to do with a fan dance. <shudder>

14. ClayinCA

ClayinCA Commodore Commodore

Um, what? :drool:

15. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

"Celebrity Skin". Almost any issue from the 80s had her nudes from the early 60s.

16. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

^Google and they come up.

17. Elder Knight

Elder Knight Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I thought it came closest to capturing the things we admired about the TV series, good and not-so-good.

18. Tulin

Definitely one of my favourites!

I had seen TMP at the cinema at age 9 with the whole family(ONLY time we went as a family to a ST movie - it STILL blows me away that we did that, but TMP was THAT big of an event, which I don't think kids today realize!)and I got into ST in a big way in ealy '83 after reading Joannie's "Making of The Trek Conventions".

After that, I went to see TWoK at the drive in with a cousin and her family during the May school holidays. Luckily I did because this means I can say I have seen every ST film on the big screen!

TSFS was therefore the first ST film I went to see as a full blown, mad, crazy Trekker. As such it holds a VERY special place in my heart and was, at the time, an intensely emotional experience.

19. Chimpy Chompy

Chimpy Chompy Commander Red Shirt

My hunch is that if we were do do a survey of people's preferences of Trek movies in order, ST3 would consistently fall mid-table. It's not often I see it claimed as a favourite, but it never gets Nemesis or Final Frontier level hate either.

re: the original question, Uhura was probably doing something helpful but unglamorous, to slow down Starfleet's pursuit of Enterprise. Messing with computer records or something. The kind of thing a novellisation can flesh out, but in a movie would just screw with the pacing.

20. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Then there's her featured supporting role with Isaac Hayes.