Europa Report (2013) Grading and Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by jefferiestubes8, Sep 9, 2011.

1. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

2. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Re: "Europa" a [contemporary space adventure] in dev.

Nice review. This definitely looks like a movie to support.

3. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

To me the years 1979-1982 were probably the best stretch ever.

4. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Good choice of influences to describe how the trailer's being used to market the movie.

5. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

I have watched and liked the film.

6. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

http://io9.com/how-real-scientists-shaped-the-story-of-europa-report-610390132

Cool. I am looking forward to it as it is a more realistic scifi film set in space...

7. TheMasterOfOrion

TheMasterOfOrion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Great, I might check this out

8. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I watched it. It was pretty stupid and I laughed in parts. A real space mission would have redundancy. It's all I'm sayin.

9. Argus Skyhawk

Argus Skyhawk Commodore Commodore

10. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

It had some. The main problem was not enough people, though. They seemed to cheap out on the interdisciplinary training. Not smart! There was also no necessity to put humans on Europa at all, but then they didn't have to send humans to orbit the planet, either. This was solely "because we can," but also because, of course, there's no drama if it's just a robotic probe in orbit sending robotic probes to the surface.

That said, I thought it was pretty good. It was made very well. It certainly looked better than its budget would lead one to believe possible. I was relieved to see that the crew didn't devolve into bickering about personal conflicts or romantic tangents. Everything was about the mission.

The ending was predictable but I enjoyed it. The big reveal was a bit silly, but that's forgivable.

It was nice to see a space travel movie work at being realistic and actually about a space mission instead of the mission being incidental to a bunch of insipid character drama.

It's on Netflix now and I'd say it's worth watching at least once. I suppose I'd give it a B for effort, as these sorts of movies go.

11. RJDiogenes

I agree. I watched this a while back and liked it a lot. Good, solid SF for a change and it deserves more attention. But, since the aliens don't come to Earth and knock buildings over, it probably won't get it. :rommie:

12. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I saw it at the L.A. Film Festival. It was refreshing to see sci-fi attempt realism, but I felt like once they got to Europa it got just a bit silly.

13. Spider

Spider Dirty Old Man Premium Member

This movie is not worth paying any money for at all, but for free it would be OK. It was a lot of build up for a rather disappointing ending. And I am beginning to really just hate movies that are shot from the perspective of characters in the movie holding a camera, and all the jerky camera scenes.

14. Alex1939

Alex1939 Captain Captain

IMO, this is a movie every real sci-fi fan should see. Not because I think it is groundbreaking or so good or anything like that. I just think it is a quality sci-fi movie and those that enjoy that genre should watch it. Cause that target audience should range from meh to really good.

15. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Just had a discussion with a well known scifi writer and critic, and he's posting a review of the movie later today at my urging, which I plan on posting. I am aware he liked it.

RAMA

16. RJDiogenes

I look forward to hearing what he has to say.

17. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

Not predictable for me. I expected a monster would come out of the ice and start killing them one by one. Was pleasantly surprised it didn't happen.

I actually liked the ending as it was. Showing what lies on the most stretched end of actual possibilities to get us excited in exploring Europa, without delving much into it to ruin it and make it look unrealistic (as it is).

I think I would have liked if things have played out a little differently. The team making the discovery earlier in their mission (from their own point of view), but also doing the transmission at such earlier point, leaving their final fate as a mystery for the viewer. But most importantly – letting us see and hear the crew's reactions and thoughts on their discovery.

It was a bit underwhelming to have them struggle through all that, and not see them cherish their own achievement for a bit there.

18. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just finished watching it, and I liked it. The push for realism is laudable, and on the whole I think they did a pretty good job of it. The ending was a bit of a letdown, but overall, a solid B+. The + is for attempting to use real science in real situations, and by having well trained astronauts instead of nitwits making drama for two hours.

19. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Welli t wound up being a blurb but he liked it, as I said.

RAMA:techman:

20. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Spoliers*

Absolutely loved the ending..a downer to be sure, but would lead to a lot of other things to follow up the mission. The message was also a positive one...instead of shrinking from failures like the Challenger disaster and such, we should be bold and explore...plus we found life!!!

There are a few minor quibbles with the movie (aren't there always) but it's still more believable to me than Gravity.

RAMA