The Walking Dead: The Comics VS. The T.V. Show **SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by PKerr, Dec 2, 2012.

1. PKerr

PKerr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

**SPOILERS**

So from Time to I see in the T.V. Show thread people post in spoiler codes about what happens in the comic as opposed to the show, I finally got access to the comics and started reading them and even though I’m only up to #12 I thought it would be interesting to have a thread where it could be openly discussed, from this point on read at your own risk (so to speak).

**SPOILERS**

Like I said, I'm up to book #12 I have to say I’m mixed as to which I like better, the books are a lot faster paced, at this point Rick and crew have left the farm and found the prison.
    That faster pace is nice but in the same token you lose a lot of the dramatics.

For one Shane dies in book six right after Amy dies and Jim is bit as opposed to the end of the second season.
    At this point there is no Darrell and Tyreese(T-dog?) is hooked up with Carol.
    Also Dale and Andrea are a couple…Ummm EWWW!!!

One of the things I think the show did better was the whole farm bit, ( even though I though the show drug it out a bit too much ) Sophia never went missing, at this point she is still alive and well.
    Another is Herschel let it be know from the very start that walkers were in the barn.
    Lastly (at this point) the farm never gets over run.

If Rick and crew ever visit the CDC they haven’t yet, like I said they just now found the prison.

As much as the show is based on the Comic it isn’t really because there are a lot of things that have happened in the show that hasn’t happened in the same timeline in the comic.
    Not saying they won’t at some point, again I’m only up to book #12.

I’m done for now, feel free to discuss, I’ll take my own spoiler warning and read with caution as I don’t want too much of the comic spoiled.

Enjoy!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  2. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Daryl and T-Dog were invented for the TV series, they have no equivalent in the comics. The CDC wasn't included in the comic because Kirkman didn't know they were located in Atlanta.

3. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i only read volume 2 (7-12)...but agree with your comparisons...i think the show has definitely improved on what was in the comics. The Dale-Andrea thing...yeah, very creepy. The show handled it much better.

As a matter of fact... i think the shows REALLY enlivens the characters. Steven Yuen, for example, does a great job of making Glenn someone to really root for...the Glenn of 7-12...not so much.

Darryl is supposed to appear soon in the ocmics (which is waaaaay ahead of the show at this point).

4. PKerr

I get that but Tyreese and T-dog could easily be the same character.
    Did we ever learn T-dog's real name? I don't remember.

It's also weird seeing Tyreese playing duel roles and doing things with Rick that Shane and Daryl did/does in the show.

Even though I liked T-dog I think Tyreese is a much more interesting Character.

5. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

His name is Theodore Douglas.

Chad Coleman (Cutty from The Wire) has been cast as Tyreese, so he's a character who will actually appear on the show.

6. PKerr

Ahh Thanks.

Great news, I hope they give him a bit more to do than they did T-dog.

I wonder if Rick with have 2 right hand men.

7. PKerr

I'm noticing too that the comic has a ton more superfluous characters, too many to keep up with IMO.
    i like the more streamlined show.

Chris and Julie

Allen, Donna and the twins

Hershel's huge family (what did he have like 5 kids? )

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

He first appears in tonight's midseason finale.

9. PKerr

I look forward to seeing how they work him in, will he be another prisoner? A guard? Part of the governor's community? or just a random passer by?

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

There was a Spanish language preview which showed how he is introduced.
    He's leading a new group of survivor's into the prison

11. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

In some ways I preferred the bigger cast in the comics vs the TV show. One of the things that the show is missing are all of the kids. Having Carl, Sophia, the twins and the Green kids meant that Carl was not alone. Additionally their presence helps to emphasize the importance, and fluidity of family amongst the survivors. Having all the kids around means that all of the couples become almost instant families once someone gets killed,

One thing that the lack of kids has done (and the prolonged survival of Shane) is that its diminished the rather disturbing arc for Carl. Carl in the comics has done many more troubling things and that has an impact on him and his father in ways that the TV probably could never properly address for a child so young.

Additionally Shane early death helped o make Lori a more like able character. She never had the opportunity to morph into a character that people loved to hate.

12. PKerr

Well the little we've seen of Tyreese (so far) I think they are pretty true to the comic version.

I look forward to see how he and his group meld in with Rick and crew.