Redshirts by John Scalzi

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by DeMilburn, Feb 7, 2015.

1. DeMilburn

DeMilburn Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Has anyone read Readshirts by John Scalzi?

[​IMG]

Ensign Andrew Dahl has just been assigned to the Universal Union Capital Ship Intrepid, flagship of the Universal Union since the year 2456. It’s a prestige posting, and Andrew is thrilled all the more to be assigned to the ship’s Xenobiology laboratory. Life couldn’t be better…until Andrew begins to pick up on the fact that (1) every Away Mission involves some kind of lethal confrontation with alien forces, (2) the ship’s captain, its chief science officer, and the handsome Lieutenant Kerensky always survive these confrontations, and (3) at least one low-ranked crew member is, sadly, always killed. Not surprisingly, a great deal of energy below decks is expendedon avoiding, at all costs, being assigned to an Away Mission. Then Andrew stumbles on information that completely transforms his and his colleagues’ understanding of what the starship Intrepid really is…and offers them a crazy, high-risk chance to save their own lives.

Got this recently and I know technically its not a Star Trek book, but Galaxy Quest wasnt a star trek film but is often ranked high in Star Trek fans countdown of Star Trek films! This book really plays homage to the world of Star Trek and most importantly them doomed souls that don the Red Shirts. I cant recommend this book enough! It gets a bit silly but it only adds to the humour of the spirit the book is written in!!

They are also looking to turn it into a TV series! http://deadline.com/2014/02/redshirts-novel-tv-series-fx-679185/
    but that was dated a year ago so maybe it has stalled!

You can read a excerpt from the book by clicking below!
    http://www.tor.com/stories/2012/03/redshirts-prologue-chapter-1-a-2-excerpt

2. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I bought it a while back but have not yet had a chance to read it. Was wondering if it was a good read.

3. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's an okay book, noted mostly for its at times brilliant in-jokes regarding sci-fi television. The second half turns a bit too meta and dare I say preachy. Overall, it's an entertaining read, but Scalzi's written much better.

4. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

I enjoyed it. It's fun, smart and very mad. I listened to it as an audiobook read by Wil Wheaton, which increases the Trek connection.

5. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

I've consumed it two ways: read the ebook and listened to Wheaton's reading. The audiobook was by far the more enjoyable experience, due to Wil's rather wonderful reading.

I've started seeking out books read by Wil -- Ready Player One, for example, is a pretty lame book (unless you played a lot of video games in the '80's, I guess) but Wil makes it listenable. Almost enjoyable.

Scalzi's Fuzzy Nation, again read by Wil, is a great audiobook.

6. Smitty

Smitty Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yes, and I did not like it. Snarky and copy cat characterizations from his other works. Watch Galaxy Quest instead.

7. dansigal

dansigal Captain Captain

Great concept. At times it was a lot of fun and really well executed. I thought it suffered from a very poor ending and not really knowing where to go with the concept. It wasn't the worst book nominated for a Hugo that year, but I also don't think it deserved the win.

8. ronny

ronny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't remember being bothered by the ending. I thought it was a fun book. I voted for something else for the Hugo but it wasn't a surprise and didn't bother me when it won.

9. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

Heh. I just read the excerpt, and enjoyed it quite a bit. I might have to track this one down. It looks like it might be fun, if it can keep its shtick going for the entire length of the novel without it becoming tired.

10. Etoile

Etoile Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It's cute, a quick read. I seem to be in the minority for liking the codas, particularly the first one. It's fun, but I'm not sure it was Hugo-worthy.

11. Lexx Shrapnel

Lexx Shrapnel Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It was fun but them going to the Real World took me out of it.

12. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

That bit reminded me of Red Dwarf's Back to Earth.