Star Trek: Equinox

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Lynx, Jun 20, 2014.

1. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

This is too late for a TV series or movie but this concept could be used for a Star Trek Voyager book.

Star Trek: Equinox

The book would follow Captain Ransom and his crew from the start of whatever misson they had, how they were transported to the Delta Quadrant and their continuing journey until they met up with Voyager in the year 2376.

The book would deal with the problems they faced after being transported to the Delta Quadrant, their encounter with other species and also why Ransom made the decisions he made during the journey.

Since the Equinox didn't take exactly the same path as Voyager, the story would have some encounters with aliens that Voyager never encountered.

This book could also be interesting for those who would have liked a "darker Voyager" since Ransom and his crew didn't exactly followed Starfleet rules and regulations.

What do you think?

2. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

Breaking Bad Star Trek Style. Interesting.

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought this was going to be about the infamous fan film project starring John Savage and Gary Lockwood. http://startrekequinox.com/

And yes, a novel series (or even just one big-ass novel) about the Equinox's journey would be fascinating.

4. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd like a very dark Equinox descent into bad stuff book. James Swallow should write it, he captured the moral ambiguities and egomania of Gul Dukat very well.

I'd like the E2 story too.. I wonder why we don't get these kinds of books telling the untold stories? I'm pretty sure fans would be very excited if they heard one was coming out.

5. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

I would love an Equinox novel, there could be lots of interesting and dark storytelling about those characters, a very different tone from most Trek. I was always disappointed more wasn't done with the surviving Equinox crew on Voyager.

6. teacake

By "more" you mean anything.

7. borgboy

Yes. I was really surprised we never saw the Equinox survivors again. Seems like there was a lot of potential to do something interesting with them. Have they ever showed up in any of the novels? I don't recall ever reading anything with them, but there are a lot of newer novels I haven't gotten to yet.

8. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Ugh, no.

I watch Star Trek because it is light, optimistic fare. I'm confused why so many people want to turn it into the updated Battlestar Galactica?

9. borgboy

I wouldn't want the whole novel range to be dark and angsty, but one book every now and then makes for a nice change.
    Plus this is fleshing out a story that's already out there, like the MU novels and novellas have done.

10. teacake

Yes just give us one book!

It would be nice if the books tones varied quite a bit.

11. NightJim

NightJim Captain Captain

YES! Watched it a couple of months ago, and immediately jumped online to check if a book had already been done. Was quite surprised that considering how many of the back alleys the lit-verse has gone down no one had ever done anything with the Equinox.

12. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

Despite being the one who came up with this idea, I totally agree with your opinion considering how Star trek should be. I also want it light and optimistic.

If you have seen some of my posts before, you may have noticed that I've always been among the most critical when it comes to "doom and gloom" in TV series. As a matter of fact, I really disliked the new Battlestar Galactica because it was the typical "doom and gloom" series I always try to avoid.

But I did come up with this suggestion for a Star Trek book (I think a series is out of the question) since the fate of the Equinox is an interesting subject when it comes to new ideas for Star Trek in common and especially Voyager.

Unfortunately, the Equinox story can't be an optimistic story because of how captain Ransom and his crew handled the situation.

And this would be one book and nothing more.

13. borgboy

How about a book that followed the Equinox survivors, struggling for redemption, with lots of flashbacks to the Equinox? That would leave room for some light and optimism.

14. teacake

You mean their lives scrubbing plasma conduits followed by their lives in a penal colony?

15. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

The Equinox story might be worth a novel but it would basically be the Star Trek equivalent of Razor. Only without Michelle Forbes.

It would be interesting to see a story about one of the Equinox survivors after the return to the AQ. Everybody knows at this point what they did and they fight to redeem themselves while wondering if they can forgive themselves.

16. Drone

Drone Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Why not a story that separates them from the Voyager continuity altogether? Not necessarily in the sense of a "better, stronger, faster" iteration of how a Federation vessel's abrupt deposit in the DQ should have been rendered, but at least as a fresh perspective on how the framework of addressing the challenges presented by being plunged into this extreme scenario might have been constructed by a wholly different crew whose original mission was quite dissimilar. A crew that also had some personalities that were more open or prone, shall we say, to more questionable moral or ethical decision making choices than our beloved stalwarts. :rolleyes:

17. ReedEnterprise

ReedEnterprise Captain Captain

I agree. The story would be set in a somewhat environment, in a familiar timeline. I think it would be, yes darker and an excellent idea.l

18. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Because Equinox seemed a little more realistic. Here we have a battered starship with a hopeless crew who have had no choice but to abandon their ideals to simply survive. After 6 years in the Delta Quadrant I might have expected Voyager to be a little bit more like Equinox and not the same ship that started out it's long journey.

19. Destructor

Destructor Commodore Commodore

I'd not heard of this. So... why make a TOS-era adventure when you have the guy who played the Captain in a VOY-era adventure? Wouldn't it make more sense to... do the story proposed herein? That'd be ace!

20. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Am I the only one totally confused? :confused: