Latest acquisition!

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Therin of Andor, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I got a used copy of Articles of the Federation by Keith Decandido.When his book originally came out I couldn't find a copy of it.I eall like what I've read so far.

2. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Agree. I bought a few damaged copies quite cheaply in 1980, as spare stickers. (The heavy pages can pull out from the binding.) I put a large Starfleet Headquarters logo on the front door of my flat when I moved in 1984, as some Trek friends were congregating there to get dressed in costume for the ST III gala premiere night.

I moved out of that flat in 2000, but the sticker is still on the door. There have been four different long-term tenants (only one a Trek fan) since then, but the sticker was still there last time I visited.

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's awesome, Therin!:bolian:

4. Therin of Andor

I hesitate cross-linking to another section but, as I never go there myself (until today), I have no idea if any of you would ever find my new post over there, and it's related to a perhaps forthcoming eBook of original Trek- (and fandom- ) related articles and columns, created over the decades since 1982.

So, at the moment, this is a "latest acquisition" that only I have.

http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?p=9482728&postcount=125

Apologies if you consider this spamming.

5. Therin of Andor

Jeff Mariotte's "Serpents in the Garden" arrived Down Under last Wednesday! Gorgeous cover art!

And Part 2 of IDW's "I, Enterprise", about Crewman 0718, which is very, very cool!

6. Therin of Andor

It's hard to avoid three-in-a-row in this thread. Sorry. My latest eBay acquisition arrived in the post today. This will be of particular interest to Mark Martinez, I hope:

[​IMG]
    Comic art Andorian by art by Rod Whigham & Philip Moy, purchased by Therin of Andor, on Flickr

Original full-page art for a Marvel "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" comic that never happened. This was for a storyline called "Operation Seastrike", with art by Rod Whigham & Philip Moy, and signed by Rod Whigham. That's an Andorian about to ambush Dr Bashir, of course. This art caused great excitement amongst my Andorian toys today!

7. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Would it not be wise to get this thread transferred to General Trek as it seems to be pretty much dead now given no one else other than you have posted in the last month or so in here.

8. Therin of Andor

I very rarely go to General Trek.

And I'm sure the mods in General Trek would say that a thread about newly acquired literary items belongs in TrekLit.

9. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I bought the Mission Gamma: Twilight book last week. Not sure if I will do that or go finally read Left Hand of Destiny as my next book in the Relaunch, but I will get to both eventually.

10. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Fair point, I guess over half of what you post in here is Lit related in some, often negligible way.

11. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I got the first 2 Star Trek Vanguard books I ordered. I can't wait to read these books.

12. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

And for me, that's a pretty good batting average. :techman:

This is a fun thread and I have no problem with it being here.

So, the Gen-Trekkers might be missing out, but there's no problem with it being here.

13. nickyboy

nickyboy Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Wow, I have never heard of this 'lost issue' of the Marvel trek line. Is this the proposed cover for that issue?

14. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

I'm glad you mentioned this part... I was trying to figure out why Kirk was wearing a First Contact uniform! :lol:

15. Therin of Andor

I think it's actually the "splash page" (Page #1?). The publication's indicia rectangle would probably get pasted over some of the extraneous smoke along the lower edge.

I know I've seen comic scripts online for a few different works-in-progress that never made it when a Trek license was dropped unexpectedly (a Sulu-heavy TOS issue rings a bell), but I had not heard of "Operation Seastrike" and we rarely saw Andorians in any DS9 comics ("The Maquis: Soldier of Peace" comic mini-series from Malibu, also featuring Bashir, had an Andorian barman).

If you search Google for Trek "Operation Seastrike", there are a few other finished pages available in several locations, but the Andorian's presence sealed the deal for me!

Thanks! And I hope it is useful for those people who ask, "So has xxxx come out yet?" I really like to know when new stuff is being reported elsewhere so I can watch out for items I don't have on a pre-order. Not everyone seems to have a reliable store that does standing orders for Trek stuff, nor access to shops which stock too many copies of new items.

16. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Exactly this, ToA. It's difficult seeing everything new out there, but you do seem to fix that problem. I look at this thread as 'directed advertising' that I've signed on to and want to keep getting.

17. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

It looks more like a cover page to me -- the characters are more posing than acting, and the composition leaves plenty of room up top for the title and publisher logo. The smoke on the bottom might be to give room for the creator credits on the cover.

18. Therin of Andor

I went back to the listing I won and it is definitely described there as "cover art":

"Star Trek Deep Space Nine Original Cover Art by Rod Whigham ~ Dr Bashir Andorian"

But when I received it, I was struck by the positioning of all that smoke. Mind you, some intended covers do become splash pages at times, and others are relegated to a "pin-up" section when they don't pass muster as a cover.

Who knows how many unpublished lost comics are out there! My fellow Aussies, Glenn Lumsden & David DeVries, were commissioned to do a Klingon-heavy TNG storyline for DC when now-late Kim Yale was editor. I helped them out with an episode guide I'd compiled - it was after their TOS one-shot, #34 Aug 1992 - and they named a Klingon after me, I understand. The whole script was finished, approved and ready for the art, but got lost in the shuffle during the departure of Ms Yale, and then they got busy with a "Phantom" mini-series.

19. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ugh. Never mind. Still new to posting images on this board.

20. Therin of Andor

If you are posting from your own Flickr account, for example, you need to use the coding appropriate for your settings. eg. HTML ( < > ) or BBCode (with the square brackets). [

Or click on the "Insert image" icon from here.