Kurtzman Defends Star Trek Into Darkness

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by TrekToday, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Malaika

Malaika Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You could know it if you payed attention to the scenes ;) and if that alone wasn't enough you had the script, the novelization and some of the comics and you could read what the writers said.
    You'd understand then that these two characters were in fact a couple way before his planet got destroyed and this is the very reason why their interactions in the turbolift and later on the transport pad, make sense. He could act like that only with someone who was his girlfriend.

Besides, if one can buy that two people that despised each other can suddenly become besta friendas forevar only because dude's future self from another reality played matchmaker and they can convincingly play a ala TWOK scene with a crying, screaming and homicidal Spock acting like that for the death of someone he hardly considered more than a co-worker for the majority of the last movies (when he didn't even cry when his mother died and his home planet got sucked in a black hole and he felt his people dying)
    .... then him having a girlfriend who happens to be someone that he probably knows since years shouldn't be that much of a shock or considered that impossible and/or OOC.

2. Ln X

Ln X Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I do recall Uhura talking to Spock about her 'oral' sensitivity. I just hope she was talking about her linguistic skills and not her BJ skills! Maybe Spock just wanted to explore humanity and utilise that burning Vulcan desire inside of him...

3. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Can we not do the "oral" crack any more?

[​IMG]

Seriously, it wasn't that funny before it got beaten to death.

4. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

5. austen_pierce

austen_pierce Captain Captain

I too cringed through the entire Kirk death sequence. For me the way to make this both an homage and freshly EPIC would have been for them to trick Khan into 'going in there' and have that be the END of him. No magic blood, no wondering if he'll be back. Pay tribute, do something DIFFERENT, and move on...

6. Malaika

:guffaw:

I get the pun but it's a bit concerning when people are serious about it and act like this is what they really said...
    I have to wonder if some people know that "aural" is an actual word that is related to the sense of hearing ('unparalleled ability to identify sonic anomalies in transmissions') it's not a typo or mispronunciation of the word "oral" ... ... ...

7. Ln X

It's just an unfortunate word, but I'll always think of it as "oral" just for the laughs! Heck if we consider it as oral then perhaps the whole Spock/Uhura makes more sense and implies they've been together for a while.

8. Khan444

Khan444 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It was obviously referring to her language skills, people just have dirty minds, myself included.

9. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    When I saw the movie the first time, I thought, No they didn't go there...

Then when I stopped to think about it...

Yeah, they probably did.

THAT had to be done on purpose, No Writer worth his salt, Could Miss How Easily that could be misconstrued.

:wtf:

10. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yea, it seems pretty obvious to me, that it was indeed meant to make people hear "Oral" before they thought about it (And since "Aural" isn't such a commonly known word, I'm sure many only ever knew the line to be "Oral", and I can't image the writers expected any differently)

11. Ln X

And I'll forever have that image and it still gives me great laughs. One of the best accidental comedic moments in all of Star Trek!

12. Malaika

it's indeed possible that the writers knew that people would turn the whole oral-aural into a pun and it IS funny.

the way he's comfortable with her affection in the turbolift and the other scene is alone enough to imply that they've been together for a while ;) and frankly the idea that he simply fell for a brilliant girl that he probably knew since years can't be more a nonsense or weird than thinking that he was sleeping with some random student just because she has "oral sensitivity" ... lol
    you guys are so contradictory sometimes...

13. nightwind1

nightwind1 Commodore Commodore

I've been a Trek fan since '66, and in the seventies, I was a member of STAR (Star Trek Association for Revival), one of the first national Trek fan clubs. That makes me pretty traditional, and I loved both of the new movies.

So, yeah, I think it's well like by traditional Trek fans.

14. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    ...yeahup, one of those 'accidentally-on-purpose' moments.

:techman:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  15. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

I've heard it called a "Disney Joke": A deliberate play on words or joke they put into a kiddie/family movie as a wink and snicker to the adults in the audience.

16. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

You mean like the Little Mermaid penis?

17. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Anyone familiar with Damon Lindelof's writing would know that the aural/oral pun was entirely intentional. :)

18. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Damon wasn't a co-writer in the first film though.

19. Khan444

Khan444 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Star Trek has never been above that sort of thing. This particular joke just happened to be quite funny.