Another "Wonder Woman" show now in early development

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Chris3123, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

After years of the electric company I was amazed that Spider-man could talk in the comics.

After years of watching Linda carter, i was amazed that Wonder Woman could fly in the comics.

If you give us a flying Wonder Woman this could be a very violent show.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

"Now?" Come on -- Marvel and DC have been copying each other for generations.

Or to put it more fairly, they're competitors in the same industry, the two companies that have defined that industry for most of its history -- of course they're going to do similar things. What do you expect? That's like saying GM is copying Chrysler if they both introduce new car models with four wheels.

The idea of showing Diana's beginnings as Wonder Woman has potential, depending on how it's done. If, say, they followed the lead of George Perez's introduction of the post-Crisis WW, that could turn out nicely.

As for the concern that they'd follow the Smallville route of avoiding the costume, I'm reminding myself that by the last couple of seasons, there were plenty of costumed heroes on Smallville, and even Clark had a costume of sorts, though not the full Superman getup. By that point, the "no flights, no tights" rule was a relic of the beginnings of the series, dating from a time when networks were more wary about superheroes -- and, I gather, a matter of Welling's own preferences. Now we've got Arrow, which, while taking a more grounded, Nolanesque approach to Green Arrow, nonetheless does have him in a costume. It's a different era now than it was when Smallville began, an era where superheroes are a huge business and a TV show doesn't have to hide the fact that it's about one.

3. Methos

Methos Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Funny, someone needs to cram that into Apple's brain lol

M

4. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Maybe I'm just bitter that it took Warners/DC this long to finally get the Justice League thing going. Warners has owned DC for years now. They should have been schooling Marvel in the superhero movie department, a shared universe should have been so easy for them to do.

Also I still don't like how Batman and Superman focused they have been are at the expense of the less popular DC heroes.

5. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Here's your title: Paradise High.

You're welcome.

6. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Is it an all girls school? :shifty:

7. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's better than Wonder Bait, which was my idea.

8. Methos

Methos Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

To be fair though, DC / Warners, pretty much... well, they suck at Superhero movies...

As much as it pains me to admit it, they do...

Aside from the Batman Begins movies, I don't actually think there's been a solid superhero movie from DC / WB in the past 20 years...

lets have a quick rundown...

1995 Batman Forever - atrocious

1997 Batman & Robin - pathetic and laughable

1997 Steel - wtf lmao

2004 Catwoman - I won't even dignify that as being even remotely based on the character in question.

2005 Batman Begins - Ok, so they got one right lol

2005 Constantine - Aside from character names, there isn't even a single connection between the movie and the actual comics... characters are so different it's laughable that DC/WB could even comprehend them being 'based on' the comics.

2005 V for Vendetta - Just laughable

2006 Superman Returns - Wasn't overly terrible, but a far cry from what it could have been...

2008 The Dark Knight - reasonable... 6/10 I say...

2009 Watchmen - OK, best from DC / WB so far

2010 Jonah Hex - pft... lmao... not sure what was worse in this one, the script or the acting... pathetic...

2011 Green Lantern - So laughable, even long time Green Lantern fans avoided this one like the plague

2012 The Dark Knight Rises - 7/10... pretty decent for a Batman movie...

So in the past 20 years, DC/WB have managed to do 3, maybe 4, decent Superhero movies that actually stuck to the original characters and remained true to the writing... that's a pretty abysmal batting average for anyone, let alone a major company like DC/WB...

M

9. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

They're already planning to call it Amazon.

10. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Nah, but she's the new exchange student from "somewhere in Greece."

11. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I can't wait to see WW dressed up in small tanktops, super tight jeans, and very short miniskirts while she is at her high school. Now that is quality television! :shifty::rommie:

12. Guy Gardener

I've seen that movie!

13. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I like V for vendetta a lot :sigh: and The dark Knight is the worst movie I've ever seen, but I agree with your point. To me, DC's last great superhero movie was Batman with Keaton/Nicholson.

To me, DC/WB does live action badly (although I do like Smallville, most of the time), but its animated shows/movies are almost always great. Marvel live action franchises tend to be good (note: I like the Spider-Man and x-Men movies, so my opinion may not be the same as everyones) but its animatted movies are pretty much a joke (except Planet Hulk and Hulk Vs.), and the only really good animated show its had recently was Wolverine and the X-men, and that only lasted 26 episodes, and before that it hadn't had a good show since the 90's (Spider-Man and X-Men). They both have their strengths. I just wish they could learn a bit from each other, and not just try to copy each other without figuring out why the other company is successful.

14. Nerys Myk

I went to High school in the 70s. Replace tank top with tubetop and it's like I'm back!!!!!

15. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Like a blind squirrel who finally finds a nut Warners/DC will eventually get it right(or mostly right) concerning a Wonder Woman project.

This screams...Stay Tuned.

16. Nerys Myk

Marvel had a pretty dismal run at TV and movies for a while, too. The Hulk tv show was the only bright spot till X-Men and Spider-Man.

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Actually DC has been trying to find a new series since before Smallville ended.
    So far we've had Aquaman and Birds of Prey (ok these two were actually fairly early in Smallville's run), the possible Booster Gold/Blue Beetle series, I think there was talk of a SV GA series, the Raven series, Kelley's WW, Arrow and now this.

18. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Greece is the word
    Greece is the word, is the word that you heard
    It's got groove it's got meaning
    Greece is the time, is the place is the motion
    Greece is the way we are feeling

19. Mars

Mars Commander Red Shirt

Wonder Woman didn't grow up in a small town in middle America, she grew up in Ancient Greece! Seems to me that a show about Wonder Woman's childhood would be a lot like "Xena: Warrior Princess" thus nothing new. Wonder Woman doesn't age for thousands of years during her stay on Paradise Island or Themyscara. That is the standard origin story. If they were going to do a small town story like Smallville, they should have picked Supergirl. I mean that character is ready made for high schools, with wonder woman, they'll have to reinvent her past to make it fit into the standard Smallville formula.

A show of similar merit would be "Thor" in his high school years before he picked up his hammer and became the god of Thunder, he starts out as an exchange student from Norway.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  20. Guy Gardener

It's questionable how old to make her look if she's going to be thousands of years old.

But seriously?

How does a new (or very, very old) nation present itself to the world?

The White house or the UN?

Possibly show up with a couple bottles of wine for kathy lee and Hoda on the fourth hour of the Today show?

What's her message?

"peace"?

"calm down"?

In the 40s it was all about the Nazis, which almost made sense.

Post crisis In the 80s the "peace" thing was code for "holy shit atomic weapons are scary".

She needs a voice and an audience.

Surely if she wanted to promote peace and stop war, then she should go to a warzone?