Stupid Sets

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Styro, Nov 15, 2010.

1. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Given that some nuclear reactors are "cooled" with Natrium (liquid metal, 100° C hot)...

2. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Apparently those early warp engines are a totally different kind of beast (I was thinking the water could be used in combination with something else as a coolant)...

Then again, maybe the water is used for something totally different--such as if environmental engineering (specifically the waste water treatment system) is located there too.

3. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

"There, too"? One consequence of the use of the location and the resultant ship rescaling is that the ship could have whole suburbs of machinery dedicated to different things. Kirk and Scott could have beamed to a water treatment plant that was in no way related or connected to warp engineering...

On the issue of dirt roads, I'd actually consider those a nice scifi idea. It's the future, folks. Steel plates don't arrive on eighteen-wheelers any more... If they aren't transported in, they're probably flown in.

That said, I'd have liked a bit more camouflage on some of the locations used. OTOH, there was lots and lots of camouflage on the CGI sets to make them blend with the physical locations, and the end result was that the interior of the Enterprise IMHO had a very consistent feel. Save for the bridge, which probably ought to have been shot "on location" somehow, too...

Timo Saloniemi

4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The pipes are labelled "INERT REACTANT". Apparently that's not the oxymoron it appears to be.

On the other hand, Spock called the area "water turbine section 3":shrug:

I should point put that there was a very similar looking clear vertical pipe in the middle of Scotty's TAS engine room. Also, the TOS engineering room was all pipes and tanks, albeit on a much smaller scale.

Why the STXI pipe led to a huge blender, I don't know - but I LOL'd when I saw it (heck, Kirk's face was more :wtf: than :eek:).

I'm just glad they didn't spend a single second of the movie in those damn crawlways that TNG/DS9/VOY keep going back to:ack:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  5. Timo

Sounds exactly like something you'd find in a water purification installation...

(Supposedly, it becomes less inert when it enters the purification process. But it's very nice that it stays inert the rest of the time.)

The fact that one can't easily find those things on shooting locations should probably tell the film crews something. Although it's probably more an issue of only set-built crawlways being filmable, whereas some real ones exist as well but cannot accommodate a camera.

Timo Saloniemi

6. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I didn't stutter. I was responding to a question of why would there be water tanks in the engine room.

Fact is, we don't know how the ship is laid out or where what is where. Kirk and Scotty could have beamed into engineering--which could encompass more than just the warp engines--or they could have beamed into environmental engineering, or even inside one of the nacelles, for all we know.

Flip a coin, though, I say it was somewhere in engineering to cover the bases...

7. Timo

Yeah, I know. And I hoped to emphasize the (faulty) assumption in the original question that this was "the" engine room. Just as in TOS, and just like you imply, "engineering" would be a vast entity with lots of "somewheres" within it. Not just a single location with a single function, or with multiple functions for that matter.

Timo Saloniemi

8. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Those are not water tanks. The brewery is a necessary function for producing alcohol. Alcohol fuels the ship and everyone who has used a Bunsen burner knows the color of alcohol burning is BLUE, hence the new BLUE WARP NACELLES. See, there really was a plan!:rommie:

To the OP, don't let anyone scare you away. Post what you wish and someone will always respond... for better or worse.

9. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ahhhh!! :techman:

Nice to see that BWN is still very much alive. :)

10. kkozoriz1

kkozoriz1 Fleet Captain

It's powered by steam. JJ saw the blooper reel of Justman shovelling coal into the engines on the TOS set.

11. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

JJAbrams' 1701 engineering(brewery) set did not even try to make it look like it belonged inside a starship. :(

12. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

"Inert Reactant" would be a fairly accurate way of describing the "matter" storage for a matter/antimatter reactor. They could have it in heavy water for long-term storage, and break it out into deuterium when they actually need to expend it. Or it could've been for the fusion reactors in the impulse engines.

It's a term used in chemistry, though. I couldn't find a precise definition, because the Google results are cluttered with people complaining about it as an apparently nonsensical phrase among the uses of it in scientific papers and textbooks.

13. Chick_McGeester

Chick_McGeester Lieutenant

I guess in the new alturnate universe, starships are built with bricks and concrete cinder blocks. Also engineering has what, 50-60 foot ceilings? Is that considered just one deck? IMO the Brewery set was the worst thing about StarTrek 2009. It did NOT look like it belonged on a starship... Unless they build them with brick and concrete...

14. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Where's all this brick and concrete I keep hearing about? I've seen the movie a dozen times and I've yet to see any.

And no, it's not "one deck", the idea is that the engineering section is open-plan and doesn't have traditional decks - the IMSDB script describes it as "twelve stories of catwalks".

15. kkozoriz1

kkozoriz1 Fleet Captain

The LA Airport Holiday Inn will be utilized for shots of the crew quarters in the sequel.

16. Chris_Johnston

Chris_Johnston Captain Captain

Absolutely. Those scenes took me right out of the movie, because those locations looked exactly like what they were, and not anything remotely futuristic.
    "How did we get from a 24th-century space vessel to a 20th-century brewery/water treatment plant?"

17. UFO

UFO Captain Captain

Great, the money saved can go towards hiring a science fiction writer! :techman:

18. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Apparently none of you lot have ever seen Space Mutiny... ;)

19. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Psh. People have been bringing up Space Mutiny with some regularity ever since word first came that the Engineering scenes were shot--not at a Paramount Studios soundstage, where most of the other sets were to be found--but at a "redressed industrial location". Nearly a year before the movie went into general release, this.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  20. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Yes, I saw Space Mutiny on MST3K, the special effects space scenes were all footage from the Battlestar Galactica 1978-1980 series. I wonder if that is were JJ got his idea for the engineering set? :lol: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096149/