Refit Enterprise Interiors (WIP) - Unreal 3 Engine

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Donny, Mar 20, 2013.

1. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

<whistle> :techman:

Pretty inspirational modeling. Keep up the excellent work!

2. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

At this point I'm not going to promise anything. I've started and re-started projects so many times that I don't want to get anyone's hopes up.

However, my goal with any of my projects is at the very least to provide a setting for a "Virtual" walkthrough of key areas of whatever Enterprise is featured. The ultimate goal would be to have a series of single player story missions that are playable, with the Enterprise being the launchpad for said missions.

The only problem is that it's very hard to reach these goals, seeing that real life gets in the way, and that it's a daunting task for just one person.

The last few projects I had got scrapped due to me using older gaming engines that weren't capable of providing what I wanted. Now that I'm using one of the best looking, modern gaming engines available, I've at least taken care of that problem.

Here's the TOS Enterprise project I was working on:
    http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=145937

And, while I'm at it, the Enterprise D project:
    http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=140357

I will most likely restart both projects with the Unreal 3 engine now that I've gotten the hang of it.

Yes, if and when it's finished.

Thanks for the kind words everyone! I will keep posting in this thread as I get work done, or you can check out my blog if you'd like to keep up with the more day-to-day progress (see my signiature)

3. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Aha, I thought I recognised your work!
    I loved your TOS stuff (being mainly a fan of that era) but the extra detail you've put into the consoles and blinkies really puts this project out on top.

Very very impressed

4. Borjis

Borjis Commodore Commodore

dude, the flickering screen panels to the right at the beginning when the door opens....wow! reminds me of 2001 Hal status displays.

5. RyanKCR

RyanKCR Vice Admiral Admiral

I would love to "walk through" this on my computer. This is my favorite ship and favorite version of the ship. If only I could do this. Thanks for sharing.....

6. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

I love, love, love this! It's especially cool to finally see the horizontal intermix area rendered at the intended size, instead of the forced-perspective set they had to build for the movies.

7. jadcox@mindspring.com

jadcox@mindspring.com Commodore Commodore

Nothing to add except ... wow. Just wow.

8. Patrickivan

Patrickivan Fleet Captain Newbie

Your efforts are certainly appreciated here!

9. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

:eek: Dear Lord that's beautiful!

10. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

Holy cheezburgerz - that's some really exceptional work!

11. 137th Gebirg

Y'know it has occurred to me, after seeing these beautiful renders, that the floor of the refit transporter room is downright dangerous with all those dropped alcoves full of circuitry. How many crew members have taken a tumble on those multi-height floors or twisted an ankle in the dark lighting of that room? OSHA would have a fit! ;)

12. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, I noticed that too. My own thought? Assembly crews had not yet popped the chamfered panels (those smooth edged panels seen in the corridors) into place upon the walls or laid all the floor plates into place before the ship had to "haul nacelle" to intercept V'ger.

But that idea may be negated in either "The Wrath of Khan" or "The Search for Spock". I'm pretty sure we saw the room briefly in those films, but I can't remember how it looked.

Sincerely,

Bill

13. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Okay, I was able to answer my own question by reviewing screen captures at TrekCore. Some details here and there may have been altered, but the T-porter room remained pretty much the same with the greeblied wall panels in the next two films. They even kept the purple "fill" lighting.

So much for my theory.

Sincerely,

Bill

14. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

Yeah, but by then the Enterprise was a training vessel. There may have been wall panels in the Transporter Room in-between TMP and whenever the ship was handed over to Starfleet Academy.

15. bryce

bryce Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

BRILLIANT!!! The TMP/refit Enterprise is still, hands-down, my favorite ship design!

But those hallways with the lights on the floor...I think that would bother my eyes after a while...and I think it makes the hallways look...more cramped somehow. If I was re-designing the sets, I might put them on the top instead, where the angled removable(?) pannels are. (And the pannels are the same angle, just up top.)

Would it be to hard to make a mock-up of your hallways with the lights on top? (And hey, who's to say, maybe in some sections of the ship, that's how they are!)

So, you have any plans to do any 1701-D interiors? (Since they re-usde a lot of the same hallway and set peices, it should be easy!)

16. Ziz

Ziz Commodore Commodore

Something I've wondered - the angled walls in these hallways - are they the same? Logically they are but the ones in the hall with the straight wall on the opposite side look like the angles are more extreme than the one that's angled on both sides.

17. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Your eyes do not deceive you - that is exactly the way they were designed back in TMP!

18. 137th Gebirg

I would guess that they're probably angled out more due the vertical nature of the walls on the opposite side, giving people the ability to walk side by side or in passing without their elbows hitting the bulkhead separators. The corridors with both angled walls don't suffer from that problem, so are not as acutely situated.

Good catch on that - never noticed that before. I guess my brain wrote it off as perspective distortion with the kind of camera lens being used. :)

19. Ziz

Ziz Commodore Commodore

But that's what I don't get - assuming the width of the floor is the same in both, why should the walls angle differently depending what style wall is opposite it? Besides, if the idea was to allow shoulder room for side-by-side traffic, then the whole design is upside-down anyway - it should be wider at the top and thinner at the bottom.

20. 137th Gebirg

^^^ Then it would look like a Romulan ship on the inside. ;)