Finished Watching ENT (Warning: Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Captain Kathryn, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

I totally agree Trip's death was forced and unnecessary. The show was cancelled just when it was getting really good. And Terra Prime was the better episode.

I tend to be a shipper (I just can't help it no matter what I watch) and the breaking up of Trip and T'Pol after ALL THAT DRAMA seemed so unnecessary. They should have ended it happily for those two, IMO. I'm so sick of always having to go and read the novels in order to get my shipper fix! :lol: I would probably read them anyway...but still!!!!

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I understand what Berman and Braga were trying to do with TATV, but the execution was just so horribly, utterly inept that instead of being the fond farewell B&B intended it to be, instead it came off as being mean-spirited and disrespectful towards ENT. I get that they figured this was it for their run on Star Trek, and they wanted to kind of make a celebration of the franchise (particularly the iterations which featured an Enterprise), but all they ended up doing was make a half-assed TNG ep and piss off nearly every ENT fan in existence. :sigh:

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

But they are hilarious!!

[​IMG]

4. teacake

Wait. What? He's romancing himself in the new book?

That is kind of hot.. TWO Trips is better than one Trip! Though I'm hoping this is a transporter accident not MU.

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I loved the Space Nazi's!

6. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sorry... I just think using Nazi's or Nazi knockoffs as villains in any fictional setting not pertaining to 1939-1945 is just complete lack of imagination.

Oh and my other post... er.. yeah that was a typo. Though maybe a missed opportunity in Similitude? :p

7. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Speaking as Deputy Fuehrer, one can never have too many Space Nazis!

8. teacake

Space Nazis are absolutely wonderful especially in Trek which takes itself way too seriously at times.

9. R. Star

I acknowledge your love however misplaced it would be.... my own love would've been obtained had they come up with something originally threatening... to say nothing of not involving time travel.

10. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Meh. I love time-travel.

11. teacake

Time travel is my all time favorite theme, plot, fantasy.

12. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't have a problem with time travel stories either although I was never a fan of the TCW storylines. With respect to Ent's space Nazi's, if they had not gone back to 1940's Earth and had just dropped them into a different century or decade, I would have questioned using them too. But that didn't happen. By incorporating a story which involved traveling back to the time of the Nazi's, I thought their use was appropriate.

I also loved that use of the Nazi's at the start of the season set up a very nice ironic bookend for Terra Prime/Demons', exploration of man's natural propensity for hatred and distrust of those who are different -- even "enlightened" 22nd century man.

13. Dick_Valentine

Dick_Valentine Commander Red Shirt

What I hate most about Ent's finale is they spent all that money rendering the Ent-D in CGI in all her HD glory, so much so that the rest of the ep becomes a bottle show and you don't even see any exterior shot of the NX-01 at all until the final shot of the entire damn series.

I love the Ent-D really, but when it came to the final threat of the series being shown with no exterior shots of the battle scene, just the aliens randomly showing up in the docking bay without seeing how the Enterprise was overpowered, it just seemed cheap.

The final shot should've been it warping off to new adventures too, not a glory shot around some nebula...

TBH I hate it all apart from the montage....
    Showing Archer being the originator of the "Space....the final frontier..." speech instead of cutting away would've been a nice touch, but obviously they thought that was too good for this ep! :rolleyes:

14. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

OK, You, didn't ask but I'm going to tell you why I despise TATV:

Problem No. 1: The "framing device" is an 11-year-old episode of TNG, which means that pretty much everybody watching would already know how Riker makes his decision to tell the truth about the Pegasus device. And it bears NO RESEMBLANCE to what occurs in "This Ain't The Valentine."

Problem 2a: Bizarre characterization. Having seen "The Pegasus," I remember Riker being under a great deal of stress. In TATV, you'd think he didn't have a care in the world: smiling while having a relaxing drink with Troi in Ten Forward, inviting her to dinner... At one point Troi tells Riker she has a counseling appointment with Barclay and if she's late "Reg will be furious." WTF?! More likely, Reg would be apologizing to her for being on time.

Problem 2b: Archer had faced danger on many occasions throughout the NX-01's travels (including a suicide mission in "Azati Prime") and yet Trip handled every one of those instances without going to pieces.
    -- Also, Trip was a pretty gifted engineer and the best plan to save Archer that he could come up with was to blow himself up.
    -- Also, Shran, who always seemed pretty savvy to me, couldn't tell the difference between business partners and criminals.

Problem 3: The drink, the dinner invitation and Troi going off to her appointment, along with their little tour of the NX-01 took precious time away from the regular cast and added absolutely NOTHING to this 43-minute finale. It was the very last episode of Enterprise and supposedly a farewell to all of Trek for a while (tho' the only references made to other Trek were tributes to TNG).

Problem No. 3a: According to "Bound," Trip and T'Pol were bonded mates. The excruciatingly touching scene at the end of Terra Prime is wiped out by a break-up that is mentioned but goes unexplained.

Problem No. 4: What kind of moron actually writes a SPOILER into a script?

Problem No. 5: An intruder alert is sounded and Archer and Trip dash off to confront the intruders without stopping by the armory.

Problem No. 6: Where the hell were Reed and the MACOs? Confined to their quarters?

Problem No. 7: No death scene. Did we really need one? Maybe not. But since...
    Problem No. 8: ... There was no service for Trip, I think there should have been one. (Sim served Enterprise for two weeks and he got a funeral. In "A Night in Sickbay" Archer actually dreams about holding a funeral for Porthos.)

Problem No. 9: T'Pol is alone in Trip's quarters packing up his things. Archer arrives. T'Pol gripes that Trip told her that as time passed she would miss her mother less. She wants to know why he said that. Archer, the speechmaker could come up with nothing but cliches. Besides, I doubt very much that Trip would have told T'Pol that. Does anyone who actually watched the show doubt that Trip still missed his sister?

Problem No. 10: At the signing ceremony, nobody... and I mean NOBODY among Trip's so-called friends lament his absence. Archer, T'Pol and Phlox are in the green room waiting for the ceremony to begin. Archer is fretting about his speech, T'Pol is fretting about Archer's inability to dress himself, Phlox is just as cheery and perky as ever ... Malcolm, Hoshi and Travis are in the audience either griping about their nosebleed seats or chatting about their career ambitions.

UGH.

15. R. Star

That's more analysis than the episode deserves. ;)

16. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

I wrote this a couple years ago when someone (don't recall who) posted wanting to know what other fans thought of the episode.

17. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

I think your analysis should be part of an Ent forum FAQ.

18. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

My memory might be faultyas it's been a while since I watched the epidsode but I seem to recall that no one seemed to have earned a promotion i.e. Reed dispite a war.

Beside the true end of ENT was the previous episode. No matter how they want to dress it it. It was a TNG episode not a ENT episode. Given that the only real characters we saw where Riker and Troi. It used a TNG episode to frame the episode.

19. R. Star

I didn't mean to belittle it by any means, you're points are spot on. Just taking a jab at the episode itself. To me the biggest problem is bringing in Frakes and Sirtis at all. The finale of a series is supposed to be a celebration of the whole show that ties up all, or at least some, of the lose plot ends. Instead you have Riker and Troi stealing the show with the backdrop of a fairly average TNG episode that isn't even accurately portrayed.

The idea of a Riker/Troi crossover might be alright on it's own for a regular episode. Heck Troi and Barclay did alright with their Voyager appearances, but to do it in the finale is an injustice to the series as a whole. You take what's supposed to be Enterprise's crowning moment, the signing of the Federation Charter, and turn it into a game for Troi and Riker.

Heck if they went with that 10 years later bit, and then told some of their adventures in the forms of flashbacks, including maybe WHY Trip and T'Pol split up, that would've been better. Heck then you could've had Trip die in one of those flashbacks if you're bound and determined and have it actually mean something. If they wanted to give the fans a Valentine, the three series Trek monologue is all I'd really need. That was a nice touch all on it's own. But by then the damage was done and a band-aid isn't gonna fix the knife they shoved in the back of the whole series with that one.

20. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

With the "valentine to the fans" idea, they inadvertently told the audience they thought TNG was better than the series they'd been working on the previous 4 years.