"Space Command"

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral Buzzkill, May 16, 2012.

1. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

Plus it would be competing against your "Polaris" project, wouldn't it?

2. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

CBS would be the least likely place for it, their idea of sci fi is a show about a doctor/laywer who talks to angels/ghosts. Unless they mean any of CBS's properties - CW (which wouldn't want a show with geriatrics over the age of 25) or Showtime (if they did space opera, it would more likely be an adapation of a novel series with a fan following and some literary cachet.)

If they must go broadcast, they should aim for NBC, which is far more desperate and therefore likely to take risks, and their recent successes (Revolution and Grimm, which does well for Fridays) have been genre.

3. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yabbut, CBS Owns Star Trek, so, it would have to be pitched through them.

4. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Pretty much.

5. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

Here's a trailer they premiered at Comic Con this weekend: http://youtu.be/TpIpykYuhB8

Even keeping in mind that this stuff is all still unfinished, I have to say it looks kind of bad. I guess I was expecting something that's at least on the level of Star Trek Phase II, but this looks far more amateurish than that.

6. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah that looks pretty bad.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow, it takes a lot for me to think something looks bad, and that does look bad. I know this isn't a big budget project, but the effects in this are pretty bad. I've seen a lot of other webseries with better effects.

8. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Well, that's disappointing. (And I'm not talking about the visual effects, which, for a low budget project, are passable if not particularly good.)

9. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

The effects get better as it goes on - I swear I saw some kind of clipping in the end of that ramp launch sequence.

The acting matches the writing. I'll just leave it at that.

10. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

I believe this is not actual footage from the show, which I don't believe has started shooting yet. It looks like auditions and screen tests and in-works effects shots.

I suspect they may have felt they had to show something since it's been a year since their successful Kickstarter campaign, but I think this is too low quality to have been screened at this point.

11. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    They stated via Facebook that they were doing a shoot for a Comic-Con reel on July 12th.

12. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

According to the latest Project Update, principal photography hasn't started, so this has to be stuff done especially for Comic-Con and maybe test footage and audition footage. The special effects look kind of Babylon 5-ish, which is fine with me. There's really not much there yet to form an opinion on.

13. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

I am going to reserve judgment for there next trailer. Yes, this teaser was not very good but I will give it a pass because they probably were trying to get something quickly together for Comic Con. It is not a great first impression but the jury is still out as they say.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Seeing what you guys just posted does make me a little more willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

15. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

I do wonder if it would have looked different if Drexler were still with the project.

16. JarodRussell

Those early effects look like they are still from the time when Drexler was involved.

17. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Still I don't think that trailer would have pass Doug's approval.

18. JarodRussell

Will, in 50 years, be thread talking about Drexler's vision for Space Command? Like there are threads about Roddenberry's vision for Trek? ;)

19. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

I'm unearthing this thread because there's finally a real trailer for this thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVBWweOyfr4&feature=youtu.be

There are some good bits (the effects are much better than in their previous clips & trailers), but overall, this looks pretty amateurish. Many of the actors are familiar faces, but even the brief character moments in the trailer don't look well-acted or well-directed.

Also, this really doesn't have much to do with the 50s-style show they originally promised, does it?

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

It looks like it could be kinda fun. I don't go into this kind of stuff expecting Oscar caliber... well.... anything, so I'm happy to overlook some hinky bits if I enjoy the overall production.